Improving Attendance

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, Aug 15, 2013.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    Yes, saw him do it a few times during big games when I was a student.
  2. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Angaza, I believe every college kid has a computer, facebook and twitter software. Use these and paper fliers in local resturants and on campus. Let's make this an annual affair. Only one student in every school, ie. Business, Law, Medical, Ag, Architecture etc. I am sure no one would complain and if they did, they could block any junk about basketball if this is their choice.

As for Pizza night, Dominos and Papa John's given back a little would be in order.

A contest for the best t-shirt in the college of design, then printing the amount to give away. Alumni Assoc. or businesses throughout the state or people associated with the university. Ex. Gatorade, Parish Constr., etc

Someone on here talk about ex- players coming back, let's honor the past players that did the most on a national stage or for the University. Udonis, Mike Mitchell got rings this year would be a great start. Work it out on a night they are available.

In Winston-Salem, they have a small blimp fly around at halftime or timeouts and it advertises Krispy Kreme Donuts, it drops coupons for a free dozen. Kids love this, if contacted who knows, the kids and fans love it. Helping making it fun to go to games.
    Of course the corp. ofc is in Winston but who knows if contacted. They want always to increase business and they have bounced back after a overhaul. If they feel they don't want to give away an advantage Wake Forest might have, I have an answer, Contact Sonny's Bar-B-que, make a Pig Blimp and drop coupons from a regional chain that is known through out the SE. I am sure they would do it.

A few more thoughts, local basketball HS teams night, local HS band night, etc.

Yes, it would be work and would take some people to make it work. If it brought in more fans than the year before, look at the money it brought in and make a permanent Marketing position for the basketball team. If the other teams UF fields thinks some of the ideas would help them, they would kindly shared the successful programs.
  3. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    Stripper poles!
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Bullish,

some good ideas. I have suggested two things:

1) Bring more campus attention to basketball. One thought would be to involve the fraternities, sororities, campus clubs etc. by providing block seating on occassion. I think it is a good idea to start by making basketball games a social event.

2) Foster new fans. . . young kids. No tickets should go unused. Local schools, big brother programs, etc. should receive free tickets. Even if done for free. . . . bringing in the next generation of Gator fans is smart business. In addition, it fills seats otherwise empty.
  5. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Set it up so bball tickets of boosters who cannot attend can be donated online to Big Brothers/Sisters or whoever else and not just sell them online to a specific person. Also, if the booster cannot decide until gameday, have it so that he can have the seat donated to any student on gameday...even if the booster can't let the school know until one hour before gametime...
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    A huge problem is the tickets sold versus butts in a seat. That is hard to fix since LOTS of the season ticket holders live well away from Gainesville and it is really hard for them to make mid-week games and they are hardly attracted to crappy OOC weekend games. The AA has tried some ticket donation plans, but my guess is that anyone with the cash to buy season tickets with booster fees that knows ahead of time that they can't attend some games can't be bothered with going through the exercise of giving away tickets through the AA.

Another thing that kills attendance is the current Rowdy Reptile format. They get credit for walking in the door, but if some of them don't get into Level I they leave. Perhaps scanning when they LEAVE would be a good idea.

Now thinking about how to get Rowdies into the unused season ticket seats. That would be awesome. Perhaps letting them into those seats during the first TV timeout?
  7. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Aka, when I was a kid, I only got to go when Dad would take me. Business required most of his time, but I remember Pistol Pete, Chris Jackson. These to me were exciting to see and made me always wanting to get back to Gainseville. You are right with small kids, local school kids both want to come. If at the 5 minute mark there are unused seats, let UF Students or local school kids in free. There should be no unused seats. Heck these people might even buy a coke and hot dog. Maybe even a Gator Hat. Heck they might even cheer for the Gators. Everything is good and builds loyalty to the Gators.

I love Billy D. but I think he is spread to thin. His intense inwardly focus on his program and other time demands, even his family, doesn't allow enough time for getting MM and these good ideas to help fill the O Dome every night. I wish Jeremy would recognize this and get a good Chief Marketing Officer, with them getting ideas from all fans with our passion for the program. Or maybe they just need to message me on Gator Country and make me an offer as Creative Marketing GM. LOL!
  8. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Hire Bullish! Just wait til 10 minutes into the game before filling my seat!! I missed the 1st 5 mins. a couple of games during the week. Couldn't find a parking place! Attendance is improving though. I predict it's better this season. Better schedule, tougher SEC teams.
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Things are different now.

I joined the faculty at UF in 1982 after being a grad student at Illinois. I naively thought that basketball tickets would be like at Illinois back then and when my wife suggested that we go see the UF/Georgia game I laughed and said we couldn't get seats.

She was right and I was wrong. We walked up to the ticket booth and bought 1st row level 1 seats right on the floor. Vern Fleming and Ronnie M playing on the floor for an ESPN game before being an ESPN game meant anything.

And for a few years I always bought tickets for all the good games and always had great seats. Always Level 1 just walking up to the ticket booth.

Starting with the first year of Dwayne S we bought 4 season tickets because it looked like things were changing. We have had them since, but a while ago we picked up a fifth when the son of the people sitting to the right of us left town and a seat opened up..
  10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    Yes... There is a ticket donation program in place, and it has recently gone online... Allowing for same day donations. But your final sentiment above is 100% correct, IMO.
    In fact, I have suggested to the AA that they attach an incentive to this program... Such a food vouchers or even discount points for future season tix.... Whenever someone donates.
    To date, my suggestion has not been adopted! :)
  11. jareduf

jareduf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    That's a great idea. Incentives to go online and donate tickets when a person can't make the game. You can even make it so the further you give up your ticket, the higher the incentive.
  12. bullish

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Hoopstar, they let a certain number of people in at the five minute mark, find them seats, then return to get more. If you are still parking and you find a wide eyed little five yr old boy in your seat, cheering, they will help find this little boy another seat. LOL

Usually the early season games when the students aren't in town are a perfect time to let people in after the start of the game to fill the Odome and gain some more fans. Our schedule this year is a tough one and will have good attendance.

Gator Lurker, yes the times have changed, since the early sixties when my dad took me as a little boy, Florida has gained 10 million people. Also, Disney World. I think with our schedule most games will be close to sellouts, I am talking previously about the months of Nov and Dec to get these games filled with young people who need a little assistance, think student loan waivers when these kids get in free. Fan building one young kid at a time. Obama, our President, thinks any kid's family income that is under x amount should have the opportunity to sit in the lower level in your seats at least 2 games a year to make sure they are given the same level of enjoyment as you. LOL!
  13. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Not just the camping out, but also the registration system for students. If a couple of your buddies registered and ask if you want to go on their way out the door, your answer is always going to be no. If you didn't register you aren't sitting with your friends, and may end up in the rafters. Really discourages attendance by those who don't plan ahead. Which would be most college students. Then you punish students who don't make it to the game for the next three games? You can tell that the person who came up with this plan wasn't an undergraduate any time in recent history.