Improving Attendance

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gator_gary, Aug 15, 2013.

1. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
  2. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    That's it in a nutshell. It's mostly on the students and residents of Gainesville. I make it down to a few games during the season, but the majority of alumni, and huge basketball fans that I know, just live too far away to make it on a weeknight game.
  4. twodaparty

twodaparty Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    I've asked gatorgary to cover my expenses for weeknight games with airfare to and from Gainesville from Atlanta. And I would make more than a handful of games per year that way. He hasn't responded yet. I am trying to help his perceived attendance issue since he attends all the games!
  5. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +756
    I know at least my son and I would go if we lived there.
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I'll admit to being part of the problem but I don't think it's distance/location. I live 4 miles from my door to the gate 1 and have only been to 1 game in 4 years, yet I don't think I missed watching a total of 5 in that time frame. I'm not going to call myself a basketball nut but my neighbor who hears me yelling at the TV might. It's mostly the same thing that's happening with football (although I haven't missed a football home game in years), the view on my 50" plasma (minus espn trying stupid new camera angles) combined with the beer in my fridge and a comfortable couch is just more enjoyable than paying $20 to sit in an uncomfortable seat way up in level 3 with crappy food options.

I will say I think getting rid of camping out for students was a huge mistake. I would go to several games when I was in school, but I missed one I signed up for in the new system and was on the no list for a few and decided that was it.
  7. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Twodaparty, I have a better idea. Why don't you call your friends in Gainesville and tell them to go to some games. We got plenty of people in Gainesville to fill the rinky dink odome.
  8. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +536
    Huge mistake.
  9. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Not allowing students to camp out certainly kills some of the buzz
  10. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Upgrade the O-Dome. Make it a place people want to come & be in, like the Amway in Orlando. Heck, nobody goes to see the Magic play - they go to a cool place with tons of stuff to see & do besides lousy basketball!
    Concessions at the O just plain suck - & I'm not a complainer - but for a top 10 program, University - it's way below industry standards. Can't get a decent cup of coffee in order to drive home after the games!! The worst seats in the house are where the boosters sit at center court! Hard ass plastic bench's with no backs!! No way to treat you $$$ folks!
    So make it a cool hip, cool, modern place where people want to be on game day - even if you have a long drive home after the game. Also, let the students gather outside before the games! ESPN loves to show that kinda stuff on TV. Get all the exposure you can for a top 10 team!! Ought to be 5,000 students at every game - so make it happen Gator Brass!
  11. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Im not sure how preventing students from camping somehow is to blame for attendance. To be this is more of the nostalgia/two ways up hill type argument. If anything it improves attendance because it makes it easier for students to go to games. Instead of having to camp out to get tickets all they need to do is go online and sign up. If you wanted to go to the game and didn't sign up online you can still get in line early to get a seat. Students have never been an attendance problem to UF basketball games. The Rowdy section is always full and a good amount of the upper deck is filled by students. The far bigger issue is season ticket holders coming to mid week games and I'm not sure there is a great solution to that. The only one is making it easy for them to give up their tickets digitally and giving those to local people.
  12. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Has anyone ever been to the sun dome in Tampa (USF's) arena. The old version looked just like the odome. I think it was modeled after the odome. I went to a team camp USA there in high school (many years ago) and it was a piece of junk like the odome. I went back last year and it was gorgeous. I hope the odome renovation looks something like the sun dome renovation, or nicer. It's embarrassing usf has a primo gym and UF's is still a dump.
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I think one of the biggest flaws the UAA has made is in its approach to marketing our hoops program... at least from a media standpoint.
    I think our basketball program should have the exact opposite approach our football program does. I'll explain . . .

Our football program obviously has a massive following, and generally has little issue with attendance or local interest. As a result, it is in position where it can . . . . and must . . . be selective with its media commitments. Though it is not stated, the football program generally provides more access for national-type stories versus local coverage. And this makes sense.

But basketball has seemingly followed suit . . . and imo, that is a huge miscalculation. Our hoops program IS a national one. In fact, it may be more established of national prominance than local. Florida basketball is still cultivating its fan base, and trying to solidify its sometimes shaky footing. As such, I think the marketing and approach to media should be the EXACT OPPOSITE of that of football. If there is a local media request... GRANT IT. Allow local journalists, magazines, newspapers and television stations priority access to the team, its players and news. Put the program OUT IN FRONT of those people you are trying to capture as fans, and worry less about national coverage... where we are already very well-respected. Let the local residents, students, families and potentional fans opportunity to know its team, players and coaches. Allow them to relate and root for the kids that represent their program. And do this on the LOCAL LEVEL through people who want to bring Gator Basketball to LOCAL FANS.

As someone who loves Gator basketball, and has also spent some time writing about it. . . it is something I feel strongly about.

End of rant! :)

go gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Killing the camping out has killed the buzz with the students. This has killed the games from being an event which in turn created young alumni who become hardcore Gator hoops fans. I live in Jacksonville and it is about damn near impossible for me to find a friend to come to GVille with me on a Saturday. And I'm not a big fan of spending all day Saturday by myself in a car and at a game solo.
  15. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    You ought to see where their athletes dine at USF. It shames where the Gator Athletes dine & the food is far superior to Gator dining/Captains Table. O-Dome will be better when the makeover is complete. USF has 1st class facilities & dining though. Very well planned & thought out.
  16. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    While I agree more butts need to be in the seats, I am not sure when the UAA looks at the attendance numbers they really see them as all that bad. Averaged 93% capacity last year, only one higher in the league was obviously UK with 98%.
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +536
    Camping out breeds hardcore fans that stay fans for life. All the people I camped with are still huge basketball fans, and I think us all camping had a lot to do with that.
  18. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +829
    I think you are right in some ways. But announced attendance and actual attendance are two different figures. I think the frustration has sometimes been the latter. . .for reasons not relating directly to money, but rather just getting basketball to be wholly embraced.
  19. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +597
    Agree with AKA about the actual/announced difference. Tickets distributed is not the best way to measure attendance but is usually how schools do it. They keep track of actual attendance though.

I'd also say that % of capacity isn't very meaningful either. What matters is butts in the seats. Last season UF had the second highest % of cap in the SEC, as mentioned above, but was 5th in attendance I'm pretty sure. If UF held games in a huge arena, you'd have a smaller % of cap. If you played games at Cameron Indoor, you'd be at 100%!
  20. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Im not sure how much this will do to attendance, but we need to switch the old, mostly uninterested Alumni and the rowdies so that the atmosphere appears better from a TV standpoint.