IMO Florida has the talent to win a National Championship in the next two years

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    And half of the teams in the NFL will win this weekend.
  2. xUFxGators

xUFxGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Football is an inside, out game. It doesnt matter if your QB is Peyton Manning if he is constantly under pressure to get rid of the football and the oline isnt playing well. Driskel is going to be a great QB because he has a great arm as well as tremendous mobility. He is also going to benefit from having a competent oline and better WR play. Anyone who thinks a high schooler going into his senior year is better than Driskel seriously knows absolutely nothing about football.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    lol at your trolling today Driskel is not going to be playing baseball. What commitment to baseball did he make?

If the QB position worried him he would say it.
  4. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    How do you know he isn't attempting pro football? I didn't see that in any articles, so maybe I missed it. I'm aware of the MLB deal.
  5. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    I also think that you should not base too much of a 2013 projection on any bowl other than the BCS game, teams come in with different mindsets and so on.

However, I do worry that Louisville displayed a template for success against this defense, which is short crossing routes, move the sticks, make the LBs and safeties cover the slot and TE.

I took a look at the Sugar Bowl lowlights the other day, and I do not remember Louisville going after the CBs deep so much ( although Puirfoy got burned on a fade to the end zone), but there sure seemed to be a lot of 8-10 yard completions in the middle of the field.

If I was an OC for a team with an accurate passer that's what I would do, make our rather green LBs cover the backs and TE, throw short and not allow UF's pass rush to get cranked up, and not allow our CBs a chance to play deep balls.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    How can there be a template for success against a defense that will change personnel and base alignment? The problem defensively against Louisville is that we went to a zone a disproportionate amount of the time, likely because we were worried that Bridgewater could be effective on the ground the way that a number of quarterbacks were over the course of the season. We didn't have a great upfield pass rush and we liked to run split coverages, shade a safety over the hash against certain receivers, etc., all of which made us susceptible to quarterbacks who could break contain or step through the rush. Unfortunately, we were terrible at it. We still couldn't get to the quarterback and our gamble that Bridgewater would throw inaccurately against faster closing windows in the zone proved false. It happens. Regardless, I don't imagine us having much of a problem getting to the quarterback this year, nor can I imagine us going away from largely man coverage given the quality of corners we have this year. Muschamp has always liked zone blitzes on passing downs, so you may see a dose of them out of our nickel and dime looks, but that is about it.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    First of all nice to see someone actually went back and looked at the tape. I have been saying since that game it wasnt the secondary that got burned but the LB's NC and safety.

I even addressed this in the OP where I say the one concern is the LB's in coverage. Last year for the most part we could stay nickle personnel a lot because we had Jenkins.

Jenkins was hurt that game which put us in a unique position. Muschamp knows that it will be a problem so you will see us in a lot more Dime this year taking another Lb off the field and adding a bigger safety. Maye is perfect for that position and then you can put Gorman at the safety while Maye plays the Dime. Neal could probably play the Dime as well.

The staff also believes Ball can cover he did some in that game but was not too successful. That wasn't because he doesn't have the ability to but because he hadn't been asked to do it all year. They have practiced it all off season.
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,227
    This is what I'm talking about re. the bowl game. Each game carries a degree of validity with it, and the bowl game might be "less" representative than other games. It is, however, a part of the team's record and should not be completely dismissed. I would also add that 11-2 was worse than 11-1 for last year's Gator team.
  9. RaginCajunGator

RaginCajunGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    While you guys continue to argue over this and that about the ULL game I'm laughing. I see nothing about the fact that what we did to ULL was exactly what they did to all of 2011. Every game they played was crazy. It was like some kind of miracle.
    I know this because even though I'm a Gator I was back in Louisiana working and went to all their home games in 2011. We would be in the stadium and ULL would lose the lead or be down at the end of the game and we would get up to leave and all of a sudden halfway out the gate the crowd goes crazy. We turn around and some way, some how this team just "found ways to win." (Seem familiar?)

This may not mean anything to any of you, but I thought I would share anyways. UL was hungry in that game. They went from nobodies basically to two straight bowl games in 2011-12. All because of their new coach Mark Hudspeth. Their QB Broadway accounted for 3,611 total yards and 26 TDs, including 2,842 yards passing and 769 yards rushing. This season, he's on the watch list for the Manning Award, giving to the nation's top college quarterback.

Anyways, I thought it was ironic how the game unfolded and the fact we did some crazy trick play to beat them at their own game.

Sent from my iPhone under your bed
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,845
    Exactly. And with Maye starting, and Poole coming on in nickel, we might see Watkins or VHIII in the mix in Dime, as well as Gorman. We have a lot of talented guys, with good size and ball skills.

And while it's been awhile, Powell looked really good in space as well as one on one coverage when he was playing as a frosh. I think he'll be an asset in coverage as well as rushing the passer.

It's tough to tell until these guys get on the field, but I think this defense is really going to match up well against most everyone's offenses. Hopefully we won't have too many growing pains with the young guys.
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,724
  12. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    Under what qualifications will Grier be better than Dirskel....his HS stats? Look, I'm as excited about Grier as anyone but there is no way a true freshman is going to come in and take the job away from a senior that has 2 seasons under his belt as the starter.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,724
    You must be easily impressed by JD's 146 passing yards per game.
    Good thing John Elway and Andrew Luck didn't think like that.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    honest question why are you trying to ruin the thread by trolling?
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    No one disagrees with that. To my knowledge, no one suggests our record last year was 11-1 and claims we didn't play a twelfth game or the results shouldn't stand. However, that is far different from saying the bowl game is more indicative of our performance this season, or is even equivalent with the regular season in assessing that. Granted, both are largely immaterial because we aren't the same team this season, just as our opponents aren't, but at the very least the games we play this upcoming season will be played on the same terms as last year's regular season games: all but one regular season game will be a home or away, all but three will be played on one week's rest, all but one will be played while the kids are in school and under the normal hourly guidelines adopted by the NCAA for the school year, all will be played outdoors, etc. Not a single one of those things applied to last year's bowl, and consequently in terms of predictive value for the following season I would say it is pretty limited.

I think the real issue is that some on this thread think relativizing the Louisville loss is some attempt to pretend it didn't happen or to excuse the outcome, while others are arguing that in the grand scheme of things it simply isn't as representative of the entire season or relevant to the subsequent season. How for instance would Bill Parcells respond if you were to ask him about preseason games? Or a Pro Bowl? Bowl games to my mind aren't any closer to regular season SEC games than they are to those sorts of games, and if they are it isn't by much. For us as fans, they are huge because we live for these games. For the players and for the staff, they are at an important time of transition--seniors looking forward to their future after Florida or after football, underclassmen looking forward to next season, coaches looking forward to signing day or some forward to others jobs, all student-athletes looking forward to the new semester, etc. That is one reason bowl outcomes are so wildly unpredictable. I agree with those who think that a playoff would actually change the dynamic because everyone would be dialed into the game the same way just like it is in NCAA hoops, but it isn't that way in the football bowl system.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    These are the kinds of comments that might carry some weight in August of 2014, but not now.
  18. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,724
    I thought this was a healthy discussion about winning our next Natty?
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    Really trying to fathom how yards per game is a valuable metric.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,537
    Against USC, Driskel threw for an anemic 93 yards, but 4 touchdowns and we won the game by 33 points.

Against UGA, he threw for 191, but 2 INTs and we lost.

Would his season have been better if he had played 13 games like UGA?