IMO Florida has the talent to win a National Championship in the next two years

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    I love your optimism, but:

2013: Best defense in the nation?!?!?

We lost eight starters on defense this year. History says when we lose that many on one side of the ball, we struggle. The only team I can find that had a top 5 defense after losing that many was Alabama in 2010. We lost eight on the D 3 times since 2000, and finished 51st, 42d and 41st. Charlie Strong (no slouch, mind you) was the DC all three years.

And this is not unusual. Most strong defensive teams take a dip to the teens or twenties, at best, and the 30s to 50s at worst. Personally, I expect a top 25 defense, but if we do a top ten defense, let alone the BEST defense, we will be doing something that is unprecedented since 2000 among AQ conference schools.
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,086
    Ummm...Georgia Tech was ranked 35th in total offense. It's been three years where we nearly didn't come with 50 of that. and their offense had the 4th best rush offense and the 115th best pass offense, a far cry from our 39th/114th ratio.

Navy was 77th overal, with a 6th/117th rush/pass ratio.

Our offense wasn't really one-dimensional as GT and navy's were . Our offense simply was BAD!
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    How is it clear ? Please break it down for us.
    Judging by tape of Grier playing against kids that will be going to college but not playing a sport? There is no college coach in the country world that would take Grier over Driskel right now.

BTW I know you are joking again just like you were with Taylor getting 5000 yards
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Nope try again
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    What do those stats have to do with this team? Name the defenses in the country that you expect to be better than UF's? I make my own judgement but I will help you out by listing Phil Steel's top 15 DL's of 2013

1ND
    2 USC
    3 South Carolina
    4 ASU
    5 Texas
    6 UF
    7 VT
    9 FSU
    10 Stanford
    11 TCU
    12 Ole Miss
    13 Bama
    14 LSU
    15 Clemson

Now go look at each of those teams secondary at compare it to UF's. Who do you expect to have better D than UF?

I do not make homer statements or picks. I would not pick UF to win the national title this year but the team has the talent to do so. As of right now I believe UF will have the best team in 2014. Muschamp was left with some great talent and right now he is doing a great job of evaluating and out recruiting people.
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I never even talk about bowl games because they don't matter. I think they are all worthless but one. I enjoy watching them but I understand they are not a good indicator of how good a team was during the year.
  7. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    Hee hee. :laugh:
  8. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    Weak thread. Of course we will have the talent. Whether we do something with it is all that matters!
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,367
    You make many excellent points in this post, but I disagree that the bowl game is "completely independent." The mere fact that the game involves (generally speaking) the same set of players and coaches makes it connected to the season. IOW - you can't completely divorce the bowl game from the season assessment, particularly when using that assessment to project the following season's success.
    If you had written that there is "very little continuity," I would agree with you.

Good points and I agree. With this in consideration, though, should we disregard the first game of the season when assessing the team's performance?

I see very little relevance here. The Sugar was played weeks after semester exams. During the semester, many games are played before/after exams. Academics is simply a part of student life. Besides, every sing point above applies to both teams, no?

No argument here.

This is exactly it. My point was never that the bowl game was representative of the entire season. I was responding to AZ, who used the previous season, independent of the bowl game, as an indicator for future success. There are several issues with that type of projection alone, but my primary contention was that you cannot completely disregard the team's bowl performance when assessing the team's future potential. Nothing more than that.
  10. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    If we're talking ifs, then yes, that sounds pretty likely. Provided we still recovered in time to set up. Provided it wasn't blocked like one of Kyle's punts had been earlier, etc, etc, etc. We can't know what WOULD have happened but we can know what did.

It was shocking, amazing, and awesomely memorable, as attested by players, media, and probably most people who saw it. It was the absolute perfect time for such a series of great plays. Why is that such a problem to call it lucky? If not the play execution then how about the scenario in the first place? It doesn't denigrate the effort or skill in the least. It says we couldn't have scripted that set up, but made the most of every break that was presented in those final seconds. Doe sit help to call it fortuitous? Providential? Just what we needed just when we we needed it? I'll admit that I still don't understand why this is so controversial to some.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    That's not the issue. The issue is what might project forward from a bowl game, and the answer is precious little.
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    Serious couple of questions for you AZ.
    What has Driskel done so far that makes you excited about him running our offense here in 2013?
    Why is it that nobody has mentioned any outstanding progress he has made during his August training?
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    It all depends. How would you factor the Bowling Green game from last year in your evaluation of the team, especially in light of Muschamp's comments after the A&M game? For my part, I seldom put much emphasis on the opening game of a season for this precise reason, though I would still argue that on the grand scale of things an opening game itself is far more akin to the remainder of the regular season than a bowl game. A season opener is on the schedule like the rest of the regular season from the start of the year and not contingent upon performance or bid. It is also the game when the staff attempts to establish a weekly routine, as opposed to a bowl game when the routine has essentially ended. You also don't have the community or media responsibilities for a season opener that you have for a bowl game.

Again, it is a question of routine. During the season, for eleven weeks accepting the Thanksgiving break, the kids have a set schedule, from school to practice to lifting to meetings to game prep. With the end of the semester, that changes entirely.

And of course it applies to the both teams, but I am not making an apology for why we lost Louisville rather than saying you can't put too much stock into bowl games precisely because they are so extraneous to the character of the season.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    I think that is fair. I made the same argument about SC last year, though, and they proved me wrong. You also have to qualify it a bit. Technically, we lost seven starters and return four full-time starters (Easley, Ball, Roberson, Purifoy). We also get former starter Powell back from injury, a few linebackers with limited starting experience in Taylor, Morrison, and Kitchens, and a pair of defensive backs with the same in Riggs and Watkins. The defense will no doubt take a step back, at least to start the year, but this group also brings some things to the table that last year's lacked, namely, the best group of corners in the nation and pass rush ability from the ends. Those two things alone make it a very interesting defense to watch. The big questions for me are whether we have the bodies to sub in and out along the defensive line the way we want and how quickly we get Morrison back.
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    You make a good point about comparative defenses - not sure who you'd objectively look at and believe will be stronger than ours.

But it really doesn't matter who has highest rated defense. What matters is whether the net points our defense allows will put us in position to win games. And I mention net points specifically because I think this defense is going to score and set up scores, looking at the athletes we have rushing the passer and defending the pass.

The main concern is whether some team might be able to just pound it down our throats running the ball and there aren't too many teams I can think of that would qualify there. Perhaps LSU, UGA and Bama.

But I really like how our defense is going to match up against most anyone.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I have seen him progress since he was in high school. If he continues at the rate he is going he will be a high round draft pick.

Driskel never really gets rattled. If he makes a bad play he moves on from it and stays in the moment. Last year late in games or when we needed him to make a play he did. That excites me. He doesnt need to be a totally different player he needs to continue to progress and the people around him need to as well. Considering the circumstances he was put in last year he played really well.

He has good mechanics and is very accurate passer when you give him some time. When I was writing my take on the next couple of season I didnt even really think of Driskel besides the fact that the team would have a proven QB. The Oline TE's and RB's have to do a better job of blocking for him and the WR's need to step up. The talent has been upgraded so I expect them to.

Muschamp has mentioned on multiple occasions that he likes how Driskel has played during camp and he likes his progression.
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,774
    No, the posters contention was that raz only touts the positive, beating Ohio st that year is not much to brag about. That was my point. I could care less about losing to Louisville, and for that I agree with raz,
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,774
    Agree with u 100%
  19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    High draft pick for whom exactly?
    Driskel already made a commitment to MLB.
    He's not even attempting professional football.
    Do you think there could be a reason for that?

By the way, what else is Boom going to say?
    "Our quarterback position worries me silly"?
    "But since I only know defense, don't blame me"?
  20. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    The season was over for every team that played in a bowl game including Louisville. But half of them won anyhow. I don't see that being an excuse at all.

As for "luck" with the ULL punt block, you're right, execution was important. But an element of luck was involved because you don't block a punt every time you try no matter how well you execute.

I agree with Bill Parcells - a team is as good as its record says it is. An 11-2 season isn't as good as a 12-1 season and you don't dismiss the second loss just because of the circumstances surrounding the loss. Every game has its own peculiar circumstances but the idea is still to win them all.
    • Like Like x 1