IMO Florida has the talent to win a National Championship in the next two years

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 21, 2013.

1. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    The circumstance of us winning the way we did was so unusual and so rare, even the players were incredulous after the fact. Rather that talk about how they've practiced such things, Sharif Floyd was quoted saying he'd never seen a play like that in his life. It was amazing, it was flukey, and it was probably unduplicatable. Such things happen. You can dismiss what you will, but how many games ever end that way? To be in that position and then be able to actually pull off the perfect ending is indeed very lucky, unless of course there is nothing at all you consider lucky. Which is perfectly fine, but a different discussion.

The point was that we needed some luck last year to win 11 games and that game ending play was a big part of it. No one knows who would have won overtime, but there was precious little in that game to be confident about us winning in OT against what we had all assumed was an overmatched patsy that a mere two minutes before was on the cusp of the biggest upset of the year. Luckily, we never had to find out...
  2. ufballer86

ufballer86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    annnd 20 min later im back :)

imo, luck, injuries and pro deflections are the three biggest factors. i would say schedule too but we've managed to win 3 with tough skeds. luck and injuries, theres no way to predict. we may have enuf depth to survive a couple short term injuries. i said after the regular season that if we kept 2 of the 5 pro prospects (floyd, elam, reed, jenkins, easly) we'd win the title. see if we can only keeping one
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We were in that position because of injuries. Pretty much everybody agrees UF has a better team than ULL. You guys love talking about the games that are not the norm. I will take UF vs ULL in an overtime game any day of the week and so would the rest of the country

Our Oline was banged up we end up winning a game on a blocked punt. Which is something they practice every week. The team is deeper on the Oline the next two years how does that have any impact on the upcoming seasons?
  4. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    You can boil down Gatoraz's original post to the combination of recruiting great talent with excellent coaching.

By 2014 4 of UF's 5 classes will be Muschamp's classes and recruited to play his brand of ball.

I know some question the offensive coaching and that's fine, but the D coaching looks MNC caliber.

Given that, the difference between whether UF goes 11-1 but doesn't make it to ATL, much less the Champ. game, like 2012, or whether UF wins the SEC and makes it to the big game comes down where UF is relative to the other SEC juggernauts UF has to beat to win a championship.

In 2014, UF will have a 3 year senior starter at QB while Bama, UGA, LSU and USC will all be breaking in new QBs.

Advantage UF.
  5. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I'm not sure who "you guys" are, but I've been responding specifically to your assertion that the end of that particular game wasn't lucky. I've yet to bring up any future seasons.

You asked the original poster some questions in response to his assertion that it was a luck ending, and I stepped in to answer your questions. I asked you some questions in response which you did not answer. To each his own. You seem to think the result of that game was pro forma. I found it completely unexpected and spectacular. The sort of ending you might only see once in a lifetime. Apparently the players at the time thought so too. I'm glad we won that game and glad we didn't have to take our chances in over time.

Continued arguing on that point is the sort of sophistry best left to deep in the offseason, not a week and a half before kickoff.
  6. 2gator2

2gator2 Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    I agree with a lot of your points. I think people take issue with your delivery and combative posts just based on what I've read from you. I personally find it entertaining, but you will keep getting push back if you post in that style.

Agree on Driskel, hoping on Robinson/Dunbar, I think folks are a bit too high on Jones just yet, no worries at all about elite DL/secondary and hoping LB's are consistent. Go Gators.
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,395
    Well, you mentioned 11-1 from last year. :whistle:Why should the Sugar Bowl not be included in the discussion?
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,791
    And just be ause we got lucky in some games does not take away from the amazing year we had, my view is we overachieved by 2 games or so. I still think the team has some weaknesses that we should not. Ie wr, a bit more proven depth at dt and lb and a reliable back up qb. I hope ur right and that the team dominates this year, I personally will be happy if we lose 3 games. Next year is the year I see will getting the program back to where we should be...
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    It is an outlier with different circumstances. The game didn't matter the season was already over with.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I just dont see how luck was involved what games do you classify as lucky? I can see someone saying we overachieved. The weaknesses were addressed in the OP. Also every team in America is going to be weak in an area. I am not saying UF will win a NC but this team has the talent and coaching to win.

The team will be stronger in 2014.

If Jeff goes does down for more than a game in any of the two seasons we are done
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,395
    Then why did they not play well against La Lafayette? Mizzou? I don't doubt that teams play better in certain games, but reject the notion that the Gators performance in the Sugar Bowl "didn't matter." If you are going to hold up the previous season's record as an indicator for future success, you might as well include the most recent performance. No matter how much we wish to claim the Gators' performance in the SB was an outlier, the fact remains that L'ville played lights out and the Gators did not. Similar sets of circumstances very well may play out during the '13 and '14 regular seasons.
  12. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +788
    After so many games you create your own breaks. If you win 11 games with that schedule then you're doing something right. Not many people expected us to win close to that many last season and when it happened we gripe about the way it was done.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Mizzou and ULL were the result of thin Oline which should not be a problem the next two years. If we are in another meaningless bowl game then that means we are not in the national championship games. I dont think the previous season has anything to do with future success besides how the returning player played. In the OP you dont see any mention of the record.

That being said we have seen that the team can be successful playing the way it did last year.
  14. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Great thread. This team over achieved last season and was able to win 11 games because of the strong running game and strong D. The running game will be stronger this year, the defense will have a much better pass rush and overall will be similar to last season (last year's defense maybe better against the run though), and our passing game will be much improved.

People are letting the Sugar Bowl loss get to their heads. It was just ONE game. People are underestimating this team because of that one game. This team has a great staff and great talent.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,437
    Under what qualifications will Driskel be better than Grier....running or passing?
    Those who evaluate quarterbacks would say Will Grier is already a better passer.
    If JD still can't go through all his progressions and read defenses again this year,
    all of Gator Nation will soon know who's better too.
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Those who evaluate QB's would take Driskle 10 out of 10 times over Grier in every area. Grier admitted during the Elite 11 that he doesn't really go through his progressions in high school and the Eilte 11 and 7 vs 7 taught him that he needs to work on that.

Driskle has a a bigger arm, runs faster understands our offense more and has gone though his progressions at a college level

Dilfer on Grier

"I would say he's not sequenced. It may look like his arm angle is low, but it's not. When your body is not moving in sequence, it's going to look like a low arm angle. There are moments when he's more compact and he looks very sequenced and the arm looks higher. That's all it is. It'll add to inconsistencies when he's not sequenced."

What is wrong with Driskel's mechanics other than a very slight wind up?'

What separates most athletes that work hard is talent and experience. A Sr QB Driskel will have both of those things over Grier.
  17. indygator

indygator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +94
    On that blocked punt matter: If we had not run it in for a touchdown, we would have had the ball in easy field goal range for Caleb. So, the real question does not involve how many blocked punts fall into someone's hands for a td. It is, how good are we at blocking punts. Answer: we are very good at it. I am with AZ here, that was not luck.
  18. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +314

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means
  19. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,957
    Good post... He calls out people not responding back to him on certain posts, which I see he skipped yours. Haha again good post.
  20. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    GATOTAZ - I like the optimism and I agree that we could win one within the next two years. You did a great job with your supporting information.