IMO Florida has the talent to win a National Championship in the next two years

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 21, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    What luck did we have last year?

Our tackles are very good. When you go back and watch the film last year Orr played well at the beginning of the season. Jacobs played well at the end. Easley is an early round pick at tackle. The staff says Cummings is further along than Orr was last year. Bullard can slide down and help inside when needed. We just need one of the freshmen to step up and be the 5th guy in the rotation.
  2. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,402
    We did win our first NC against the same team we lost to during the regular season... so who knows -- as the ol' HBC might say, if God's smilin' on the Gators...
  3. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    We had some close calls last year come on, we blocked a punt in the last min or two in the Lafayette game..led the country in to margin, the sc game was a fluke game. Our d was good I do not agree that it was the best in the country. I worry about our dt against the run not the pass, if we can stuff em and get our dime or nickel out there most of the game we will be awesome, I worry about that, that means I don't know, not that I think we will not be stout, a lot of unknowns at dt. You obviously seem confident which is good, I hope you are right.
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I dont see any luck in any of those scenarios. You play good defense and good special teams you are going to win a lot of football games. If anything the lack of depth on the Oline hurt us later in the year and that should not be a problem this year. I think this is a strong and deep football team. We could certainly lose some football games but this team has the ability to win it all as well.

I really don't think there are unknowns on the Dline (beside the freshmen) we have seen these guys play well. None of them are Floyd but they are all talented and have performed at a high level.
  5. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I agree on the line I actually thought Jeff was great in the first few games. I will defer to you on the dt position I hope ur right.
  6. GolphinGator

GolphinGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    As the NFL preseason has started I am a little worried we may miss Bostic. I didn't notice him that much last year but he is a player for sure and will be hard to replace. I hope the offence improves and they should. If that happens then I see the Gators having a good season with a chance to win the SEC and of course the NC if they do that.
  7. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Correction
  8. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    LOL...a blocked punt to win the game almost as time expired. You're being an outrageous homer of late. While I think it is honorable and expected...some of your comments are a little off.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    What was the score of that game before the blocked punt? How is a blocked punt luck? It was execution. Purifoy blocked two punts in practice this week
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Back to Back National Championships, Baby!
  11. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Hmmmm....special seasons INCLUDE a bit of luck or a particular ball bouncing your way(in case you don't believe in luck). Feel free to visit a certain blocked FG.

We had some plays that percentage-wise, you just can't count on every single year. I'm sorry if you are unable to comprehend what I am saying. It's okay.
  12. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I agree, raz is great but he does seem to get stuck on some things..
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,114
    What's funny is that we had the same sort of luck in 2006, yet no one qualifies that national title by saying, "We sure needed some luck to eek out one score wins over Georgia, Vandy, SC, and FSU."

The fact that we struggled in November of the second year in a new coaching regime is completely expected because new staffs have huge turnover, thereby emaciating the sort of depth you need to get better through the league season. It is quite common, but let's keep pretending that the staff has not been recruiting lights out and developing the kind of depth we need to turn those November games into romps because we can begin replace injured starters with similarly talented players rather than whoever is available.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I see you didnt answer any of the question asked:grin:
  15. AmbroseGator

AmbroseGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    How many times has he blocked a punt in a game? How many times has that blocked punt gone in for the touchdown? How many times was that blocked punt for a touchdown been the game winning score nearly as time expired?

It was a unique circumstance that played out perfectly well for us. You can't practice for that sort of unique circumstance. You can't game plan for it or call it from the sideline. A tremendous player made a tremendous play (as did Jelani to finish the game), but if the end of that game (tied, headed to OT with little hope to hang our hats on) doesn't qualify as "lucky" to you, then I have a hard time imagining what set of circumstances you would describe as lucky.
  16. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,695
    I do, that 06 team was very lucky
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,259
    The playoff will make a loss or maybe even two more tolerable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using Gator Country
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think it is hilarious someone would call me a homer because of this post. I laid out where we are strong where we are weak and what needs to happen for us to win.

You don't luck in the 11 win football seasons. And what does the 2012 season have to do with the 2013 season? Besides give us an understanding of what the players and coaches are capable of?

This roster is as good as any roster in the country and in 2014 it should be the best roster in the country. Now we get to sit back and watch the staff and players execute or not.
  19. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,771
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We were not lucky to win the football game. The team practice that circumstance every week. That is what you call doing situational plays on special teams.

And like you said the game was tied at worst the team goes into overtime. But how does that game impact next season anyway?