IMO Florida has the talent to win a National Championship in the next two years

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    This is PRECISELY why I am advising caution. If our team stumbles, the hysterics come out of the woodwork, blaming Boom, Pease, Durkin, Driskel or some other scapegoat. That ruins the joy...
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +575 / 192 / -96
    Wormwood if the defense isnt elite like it should be who should get the blame? There is no excuse besides injuries for the defense not to be elite
  3. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    If it was JUST Arkansas, I would be inclined to agree. But they missed on a BUNCH of teams. Including us. Steele understood Florida, but the experts elsewhere did not. Essentially, they look at the rosters and how a team did the previous year. Lazy.

Also, Petrino had his personal stamp on Arkansas that was so profound, it should have been impossible to miss. Considering who they brought back, I probably would have picked Arkansas to go 15th to 25th somewhere. But this isn't Spurrier at USCe, a more nebulous stamp. Petrino turned a run-dominant offense into the top offense in the SEC, and did it HIS way, passing the ball.
  4. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,444 / 9 / -0
    Every SEC and NC team had to have the ball bounce their way in a game or two during the season. However, that is what makes a championship team. Never say die!
  5. Wormwood56

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    #1. Top opponent's offenses
    #2. Players not performing at the next level (yes, it can be their fault)
    #3. Players not as good as advertised when starting (the Peter Principle)
    #4. Breaks of the game (fluke plays, etc)
    #5. Human error
    #6. Unit doesn't meet unrealistic standards.
    #7. Too experienced as a starting to gel until later in the season (This happened in 2003-4).

Just off the top of my head.

I've seen that "Blame ______!" nonsense for over a decade here. it never ever fails.
  6. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +454 / 46 / -4
    It is very difficult to replace the entire MIDDLE of the defense. We lost two starting DT's, at least one MLB, and two safeties. It is very easy for teams to persuade inexperienced players in the middle that a play is going one way, when in fact it is going the other way. Or persuade them to over-pursue on a play. Or confuse them with play-action. The players that will be playing at DT, MLB, and safety may have lots of "talent", which means potential, but not much experience. I remember Earl Everett as a freshman getting so confused during a pass play that he did a 360-degree turn, and still did not find anyone he should be covering.

The fact that we have good DE's and CB's (hopefully, they will stay healthy) means that our pass defense should be respectable. But who would want to pass on us if the run game is available? Run it down our throats, using misdirection at times, and wear us out. Then watch Driskel wrap up an offensive series in three plays and do it again. Our defense will look good in the first half, average in the 3rd quarter, and horrible in the 4th.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +575 / 192 / -96
    Morrison Ball Taylor and Kitchens have plenty of experience. These are not some inexperience football players like you are trying to paint them they have started football games and played plenty of snaps

Easley Orr and Jacobs also have experience we have seen them play we know what they bring to the table. The other inside player are a JUCO in Cummings and Bullard at time. If the JUCO cant help out to be the 3rd or 4th DT then that is a failure in recruiting.

Riggs is playing safety has started many games at CB or Nickle.

So again where is the inexperience besides Maye and Poole? We are not talking about relying much on true freshmen besides VH3. VH3 is playing because he has proven to the staff he is ready.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +575 / 192 / -96
  9. theologator

theologator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is what makes it fun for me. I agree with wormwood re: the blame etc., and I find that gets exacerbated in the dynamics of an anonymous message board. Zealots vent, which is fine. I agree with chem that experience is a big issue, and I wonder how these LBs who have played will adjust to primary roles.

I'm not so worried about DT because of the numbers there. There are 3-4 highly dynamic DL (Easley, Fowler, Bullard & Powell) matched with solid big bodies (Orr, Jacobs, Cummings).

I'm not so worried about the LB corps because of the guys in front of them and the umbrella of DBs behind them. Morrison et al should have room to roam.

I'm not so worried about safety because of Riggs and the ultra talented young guys will be stepping into roles with experience around them. This isn't Joe Haden (a HS QB) playing 12 yards off the ball, it's Hargreaves in the nickel or dime. Maye won't be the one alone on top unless the coaches are convinced he can handle it.

My main worry is the depleting OL. They should be fine vs. Toledo and Miami. I dearly hope Halapio is indeed able to come back healthy for Ut.

If/when they struggle or fail, I'm more interested in watching how they respond. Analysis and evaluation feed that, but the post-mortem is best used for learning and improving more than mourning.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +575 / 192 / -96
    Insider stuff that basically said what I said in the OP the Gators are the most talented team on D in the country
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=850

The Gators replaced eight starters from a year ago but they have upgraded at key spots. From a personnel standpoint, there is a legit argument that this is the most talented defense in the county.

Overall, the Gators' ability to disrupt on the front seven and ability create turnovers in the back end is a combination that should give headaches to offenses throughout the season. This defense is good enough to contend for a national championship. In the end, it will come down to how much QB Jeff Driskel and the offense have improved this season to navigate through a brutal schedule.

What was intersting is they suggested moving Roberson to the nickle. I have said I would move VH3 to the starting nickle in the off week
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595 / 32 / -7
    One thing you forgot. The schedule is what makes UF great. You play teams like this week in, week out, year in, year out with the talent UF has, you eventually play like a champion. There are teams in other parts of the country with similar talent that will never win it all because don't need to play at this level every week to win during the regular season.