Immigration Bill could break US into ‘two Countries’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by DarthG8RV3, Jun 24, 2013.

1. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +142
    my wife is Peruvian, now American-not by marriage, and speaks 6 languages, when we go to Peru or ecuador or chile or mexico or italy or germany the phone tree doesn't say press 1 for english, 2 for italian/german etc.. I obviously love my wife and her family, but if they were to move here i would expect them to assimilate and learn english, just as I would need to learn spanish, german, italian if i moved abroad. the problem is not bilingual or multilingual, and I have never heard anybody express anything but admiration for speaking more than 1 language, it is people in a way demanding that accommodation be made for them and their native tongue in school, business etc...that frustrates people. where have you seen anyone saying assimilating into our culture while maintaining a deep respect for a native culture is bad or saying multilingualness(my own new word) is bad
    • Like Like x 2
  2. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,773
    I went to Miami a few weeks ago for the first time in years. And I confess I was surprised by the sheer size of what appears to be a no-English zone. I love diversity on every level, but don't think it's good that there are huge areas where no one needs to speak English.
    Some of that is nothing new. My mother's grandparents came from Sweden and at least one of her grandmothers never spoke a word of English.
    But it wasn't like this.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    I'm with you on this, Ice. There is nothing that divides a country more than language barriers.
  4. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    Talk about moronic.

It went right over your head. Think about something before you call someone out and look like a complete idiot doing so.
  5. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Insulting.
  6. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    Was I not insulted? So we can just go around saying posts we don't agree with are moronic? Ask me to open a history book (calling me stupid).

All for something that went over his head no less...

If we are allowed to just call anyone's post moronic than thats fine, but I thought we could be grown-ups here. If not, Ill treat him how he treated me.
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    Don't worry about me, I just thought it was a poor choice of words. But, carry on....

I think there are a lot of people, including myself, that need to read more carefully and then reply. I'm speaking of me more so than you.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465

Diversity is code-word for "destroy western civilization"
    • Like Like x 2
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    Moron and idiot are the same thing, aren't they?

Anyway, that post was 3 days ago and it wasn't even directed at him. I just think if you're going to go all out with the dramatic "most moronic post in a long time" line, you should be sure you know whats going on.
  10. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +895
    so what you're saying is that the natives of mexico should start forcing the mexicans to speak their mother tounge because the Spanish stole their land?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    This.
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    To the OP, the point that allowing 11 million additional Hispanics already here to become legal will cause a rift in the country, that's a ridiculous notion. There are already over 52 million Hispanic residents in the US, representing about 17% of the population. Adding an additional 11 million won't make that much of a dent.

In addition, it's not like US border towns are a awful places where Hispanics are overrunning the locals and taking over. In fact, US border towns are some of the safest places in the US. And race relations in border towns? An issue 40 years ago, but not an issue today between Hispanics and Caucasians. And the future of Hispanic/Caucasian relations? Well, Hispanics are graduating high school and entering college at record rates. While there is some radical thinking that will always be present in college, for the most part, college students are well immersed in society.

Speaking of college students and the proposed legislation, about 2 million of the 11 million current illegals would have a chance to become legal through the Dream Act. That is, if the law is passed, 2 million could become citizens if they graduate college or do 4 years of military service. And that effects the economics of the bill. It's not like we are going to be adding 11 million to the welfare roles immediately. In fact, the majority of college grads and military vets only add to the roles when they retire, after years and years and years of adding to the economy. Sure, there are exceptions, but in general, as education increases, so does income. And it is no different for Hispanics.

Speaking of economics, once again, let's look at what happens when the ultra-conservatives get their way and pass draconian laws and/or enforce current ones. Some case studies include Arizona, Alabama, and Georgia. In every state that passed a strict law, the results were the same. Labor shortages and negative economic results in the billions. Is this really the policy we want to advocate? Increased federal spending resulting in labor shortages that will result in inflation? It's a double-whammy of fiscal negatives.

The proposed Gang of 8 law is the best solution. The only other solution we'll ever entertain is keeping the status quo. Why? Because big business leaders understand the economic value of the immigrants and won't allow us to follow the negative paths states like Arizona, Alabama, and Georgia went down. That leaves us with only two choices. The G8 law, which will allow us to keep the cheap labor, and allow younger immigrants to earn their citizenship by graduating college or serving the military. Or, we can do nothing, and nothing changes. All other options are, for all intents and purposes, off the table.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DarthG8RV3

DarthG8RV3 Twisted and Evil Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,268

Ding , Ding , Ding , we have a winner !!!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,047
    Isn't Mexico part of Western civilization?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DarthG8RV3

Ratings Received:
    +6,268

How about European Populated Countries .
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    How about the anglophonic inheritance of English common law? Why are people so fussy about favoring it? Objectively superior foundation for a society is objectively superior.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,047
    If you're talking about descendants of Europeans, doesn't that account for most Mexicans as well? It would defintely help explain why they speak the same language in Mexico as they do in Spain.
  18. DarthG8RV3

Ratings Received:
    +6,268

I do not consider Mestizo and Amerindian People to be of European descent .
    • Like Like x 1
  19. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +296
    When we understand the goal of the invaders is to recapture the land they feel is theirs-California, Texas AZ and NM then and only then will we know what we are fighting against. Sure, there is the poor dude wanting to work and send money back home but the bigger picture is very ugly-we are being invaded plain and simple.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,345
    No, it's a third world cesspool that happens to be geographically located in the "west". Not the same thing at all.
    • Like Like x 1