I'm Thankful Calapari Does It His Way

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bbreece1, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I was just speculating if he didn't reload every year nobody would have a chance. Can you imagine anyone of his classes having been kept together 4!!!!! years and then he reloads just as that class was to move into junior year and then he kept repeating the process. We will play them this year with mature men going against boys just out of high school or close to it. Does anybody want to have have played some of these guys when they would have been seniors?
  2. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    Randle is going to be averaging a double double a night in the NBA by the time he of "senior age"
  3. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +464
    Well, interestingly, one of his star recruits, who started last year, Polythress is now a backup, although Cauley-Stein is starting.

I'm honestly not sure how much better Cali's players would be with experience. He doesn't set the bar anywhere near as high as Donovan does regarding personal development prior to playing. Most players experience their biggest growth between their frosh and soph seasons, but some require more time.

Of course, Kentucky has one thing going for it that many schools lack in that being homered in Lexington is much like being homered in Nashville or Starkeville (less homering there, but also a difficult venue to play in).
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

I don't agree with your middle paragraph. Its apples and oranges. Much of the time, Cal is returning close to little SEC talent. He MUST play players earlier - granted, his past recruiting puts him in this position. I'm not painting him as a victim.

I also think Cal would be going for his 3rd straight title with this lineup - just like Donovan would have had the 04's returned again. Although, who on this roster doesn't pick UK if past players hadn't left early?
    Teague - jr
    Lamb - sr
    MKG - jr
    Jones - sr
    Davis - jr

The OP's point about how its good that Cal reloads every year is why Cal is one of the most vocal supporters of a 2-and-done rule. If nothing else, what Cal is doing, or trying to do, at UK certainly makes college basketball more interesting IMO - even when I think about it from an opposing fan POV.

Ultimately 2-and-done would help college basketball as a whole IMO. Just think, with Wall and Bledsoe at UK, you think Knight still decides to play in Lexington? I don't. It would spread some of these players out a little more.
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,470
    I would only support 2-and-done if they did it like baseball and allowed kids to go pro out of high school. Making a kid who is ready to play in the pros go to college one year is bad enough. Forcing him to stay 2 years is just ridiculous. Seems to me that Kobe, LeBron & Dwight Howard have done OK without a forced 1 or 2 years in college.
  6. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706
    Agree. Like the baseball rule but 2 years.

I still stand by my comments in terms of how it would affect college basketball. But I agree its not the most fair to the players. They should be eligible for the draft once 18.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Cal's done a fabulous job the last several years getting 18 year-old true freshman to play as a unit. He's been Elite 8, Final Four, National Champs, and NIT the last four years. This team? Probably Sweet 16, unless they grow up in a hurry. Really have to give Cal credit, because putting a new team together every year is a chore, regardless of the talent level. Billy's got four seniors, old and savvy. To me, the Gators are looking like the favorite to win the SEC this year, but I wouldn't rule UK out of the equation, by any means.
  8. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    UK would be unstoppable in a 2 and done situation.
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,023
    Not if you can go straight to the NBA. Calipari would miss on guys like Randle, Wall, Knight, Cousins etc and would have to rely on developing the second tier kids. If it was 2 year rule and you cant go straight to the NBA, I'd probably agree with you.
  10. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +980
    Agree there. Before the rule that exists today, everyone lost commits to the NBA. We even lost a signee in Kwame Brown.

My rule change would be, any amateur that has contact with an agent is ruled inelgible. If you want to talk to agents, you better be ready to go to the League. You have the choice, become a pro out of high school or commit to two years of college ball.

The way I see it is College hoops is taking the guess work away from the NBA scout. Put the onus back on them to make good decisions.
  11. jmoliver

jmoliver Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    Agree. If the 2 year rule included a direct from HS provision, would you see more kids going straight to the pros and filling up the "D" League?
  12. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +706

I can't imagine this being a drastically different number than end up filling up the D league today. Kids are going to make bad decisions, decisions they're not yet ready for, whether that is straight out of high school or after a year of college. I think it'd be about the same number of early entries and probably roughly the same % of early entries that weren't ready to stick in the league.

I still don't think this happens though. I bet we see a 2 and done scenario before a 2 year commitment kind of situation - unfortunately. This is something most college coaches want, most current NBA teams want, and even something most NBA players would sign off on. Its the agents that are against it and they influence/control the players association.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,164
    I believe this is the rule most collegiate coaches favor, sans the agent part. I personally hate that Randle, Parker, and Wiggins have to play a year of college ball when it really will do little to develop their games or their bodies. All UK, Duke, and Kansas are doing is riding their strengths (Randle on the blocks, Parker creating for himself, Wiggins sprinting out in his transition) against normally smaller, weaker, far less athletic defenders. Each of those guys would be far better served develop their games in the NBA and picking up the skills they need to succeed at the next level.

The problem to my mind is no the agents, but the NBA. The league simply can't police itself. They pick up teenagers across the globe, many of whom their scouts have scarcely seen play in person, if at all. The NFL, on the other hand, regularly passes on early entrants who aren't physically ready or are too risky or don't project well at the next level. But you can never trust the NBA with that. They probably have the most underdeveloped personnel departments in all of pro team sports. You would never see the NFL or MLB (not sure about the NHL, though I suspect given their minors and draft system, they are far head of the NBA) drafting teenagers/early entrants and placing them directly on a professional roster unless they were certain the kids could compete.
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    The NFL has a 3-year from high school graduation rule to prevent kids that aren't physically ready from being drafted. It works. MLB and the NHL have well oiled minor leagues where kids who don't want to go to school can play for pay, work on their game, and maybe someday make it to the top. The NBA? The D-League is the closest they have ever had to a minor league, and there have been plenty of players ready to play in the NBA straight from high school. Completely different than the other leagues.

I agree the NBA/College basketball should change the rule to either enter the draft right out of HS, or commit two years before being draft eligible. Would make college ball better, and I see no reason for the best HS players to play in college if they can make it right away. And yes, there will be HS players that enter the draft only to have their bubble burst, truth is, they'd most likely get it burst after 1 year in college anyway.
  15. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,375
    I miss the old days.
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,387
    Billy does it with vets...so why would we worry?
    Cal hasn't proven he can win it all with vets, but Billy has.
  17. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    He's proven he can win with vets and the Kentucky coach hasn't proven he can win with juniors(even though he never has any) but can win with freshmen. I'm still trying to figure out who this is complimenting? Can you think of another power house school in America that has 4 seniors and a junior in its starting lineup? By the way, I believe Donovan is a much better coach but there may be another way of saying it.
  18. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,200
    As a college basketball fan, I just can't see it any other way. I love the way our program develops and grooms players.
    I get the basic argument and I agree that Calipari is a good coach and would probably be better if the two year rule was instituted. But doesn't UF have a track record of having players blossom after paying their dues and learning under Donavan? Isn't there a lot of NBA evidence? Look at my avatar. Would Joakim Noah have been as good as he is if he never went to college?

I really like the fact that I see players I have seen for years grow into something special. I have UK friends that admit they miss that.
  19. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Sounds good, except for the fact that no one is forcing anyone else to go to college for even a day.
  20. rtgator

rtgator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    Agree with your last paragraph.

UK wouldn't sign the best of the best every year if last year's recruits were returning for another year.