I'm starting to become optimistic. I can't help it.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Apr 11, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    I think its funny that you think the '11 bama team giving up 302 yards is better than our 429 yards. Bama that year had one of the best defenses saban ever had. Every player was a stud. They were the only team to shut out a opponent in the title game. Please name any other school on their schedule that put those kind of yards up against them. Hell Lsu only managed 9 points in 2 games against them.

I don't know where you read I give champ a pass. I just said he always has a good defense it's the offense that's poor. And I'm with you cause it's been hard to watch. But I'm tired of hearing GSU this and GSU that, as if they've never run on anybody before. You trying to say the 300 they put on the national title winning bama defense isn't as bad as the 400 they put on our worst squad in 30 + years is funny. Who was the last team to rush for even 250 against bama? They only scored 5 less points against the best defense in the nation in '11

Their triple option is obviously hard to defend, evident by the 300+ they put on bama, UGA and the 400 + they put on us. Oh and the fact that they are the most successful fcs school ever. Now they are a fbs school.

A offense that was productive would have lowered there yards alone because they would not have had as many possessions if we don't go 3 and out over and over. Giving them better field position and opportunities.

Champ signed 4 lbs in the 2013 class. It was rated the top LB coup in the class they were just all injured.

It sounds like you have a thing for urban so I'll try not to hurt your feelings but how can you really call easley, floyd , elam etc Urban's guys When he had 1 foot out the door when they were true freshman. Unless your saying they learned and developed everything they needed to in their first year which is hardly the case. They didn't have HUGE impacts as true freshman but under Muschamp they developed into first round picks. I would imagine if you asked them personally who they feel is their real coach they probably wouldn't say meyer but the guy who was with them in new York when they walked that stage on draft night. Yes champ.

Last season was a clusterf $#* for sure and from what I can see champ has owned it and now is making whatever adjustments he needs to to be successful. Will it happen? We will find out soon enough but it doesn't help when people already assume we will fail. What's the point of being a fan if you can't be optimistic about the team you love?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    WHile UF hasn't been lights out recruiting offensive skill players, it has been at recruiting defensive players.
    There are just too many solid defensive recruits in these last 3 classes not to have a very solid defense under Muschamp.

There are 2 or 3 four star recruits at almost every position, yes most of them are redshirt freshmen or sophomores and while they haven't done it yet, only one of the 2 or 3 need to.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,867
    It's called being a fan. One of the easiest times it is to be a fan of any team is right before the season begins. It's a game we enjoy with a team we love and if you can't enjoy it when it's easy, when can you?
  4. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    Let us hope that we are lucky this year. Every team needs a little "luck". Seeing the potential is finding something positive to fixate your non-blinder wearing eyes upon. That is the spirit Chemgator! NOTHING is certain except death and taxes... oh, and of course Muschamp being replaced if we don't improve dramatically this year. Either way, until the results clarify the reasoning, I will be blindly optimistic in my support for our football team. Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    I know that Muschamp is a good DC.
    My comment about Urban was that he recruited the players that made the 11-2 season possible. When you recruit the top two DT's in the nation and the #1 DE (and they stay eligible), you should expect a national championship run. It's likely no team has ever signed that much DL talent in one year. It doesn't matter who coached the players for how long. Meyer brought them in, and they had enormous potential. It is Muschamp's job to bring in top quality players of his own, which he has done, but not as well as Meyer did.

One of my concerns with Muschamp is that backup players do not seem to get much coaching or opportunities for PT. Maybe this is only true on offense. But if you do this, expect it to hurt a lot more when someone gets injured and the backup looks lost and confused.

Georgia Southern does not throw the ball, so their running the ball is their whole offense. And, yes, they are good at it. Allowing 300 yards of total offense is certainly a good game by the defense. Allowing 429 is not so good. I will allow that our weak offense compounded the problem by collapsing every series. But we faced a D-2 team with only 47 players healthy enough to suit up. A stout defense should be able to shut them down, especially in the second half. I doubt that Georgia Southern was as devastated by injuries when they played Bama and UGa as they were when they played us.
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    There's no denying that game was horrific Le in all facets of the game. With that being said, I believe our team pretty much packed it in before this game. Injuries, dissent with in the coaches, offensive ineptitude all compounded the issues. The players eluded to it as well saying it's hard when you keep sec opponents under 20 points like 20 something straight games (which to me speaks stout since the sec is king in college ball) which ended in mizzou, but it's hard on them when our offense can't even score more than that. The USC and UGA games I believe took all they had left. I prefer to not even look at it anymore. The new offense on the surface is great because I believe our guys are more suited for the spread, it's more exciting, and much more difficult to defend but more than that it has a mental aspect that lends confidence which breeds trust among each other. I think the guys stop believing they could do it last year, this year i believe the confidence they will get when they reach the redzone with regularity will snowball into a positive affect on our team. Will we be a top team in the country ? Probably not, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I do think we have some question marks on defense but I'm sure it's not the first time champ has had ?'s yet generally always fields a solid defense. It's roper I'm looking to to field us a great offense and from there I fully expect to be in the thick of the sec east race.
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,546
    On the first part, I believe that louchez purifoy, Marcus roberson, Antonio morrison, and Kyle Christy and dante fowler and jeff driskel all helped us go 11-2. Including a few of them that directly helped us win games of their play alone. Purifoy blocked that punt against ULL, morrison changed the momentum of the FSU game when he knocked their QB head off and caused fumble, Jeff was huge against a&m and vandy (?) Using his feet, roberson always covered the other teams #1 Wr, and Christy was a weapon all by himself. So lets not short change the contribution those guys had and they were Muschamp's recruits.

Second muschamp just signed 3 of the top DL in the nation. Gerald Willis III is a 5 * , Thomas holley is the #2 DT in the nation and only played football for 2 years and Khairi Clark will be a hell of a NT. All were ranked 5* on one recruiting site or another. He did the same when he got both 5* bullard (4th overall) and 5 * fowler who is a beast and even better that he was snatched from the hands of fsu. I agree that 2010 was a great class but the #1 DE (powell) kind of turned out a bit of a disappointment and never lived up to that rank.
  8. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +757
    You are being a little impatient with Muschamp given that the first class he fully recruited and signed are only in their third year now.

Wait until the players who see the field most, especially at OL and DL, the junior and senior classes, are Muschamp's guys and then judge him.

In 2006 Meyer didn't win an MNC with all his players, the entire defense and most of the offense but for Harvin were Zook's players.

Meyer was also relatively lucky in that out of the 70 or 80 games he coached for UF, how many times did he not have his best QB available? One, when TImmy got that concussion?

Meyer was able to play his starting QB 79 out of 80 games.

Muschamp has been able to do the same what, 20 out of 39 times?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I don't think the point was that Muschamp cannot ever recruit top-level players like that. I think the point was that in his one good season he got a major boost from having Meyer's recruits already on board. That part of the job (which is a HUGE part) had already been done for him. Kudos to WM for putting them in position to succeed, but no one has ever questioned his DC skills. People mostly question his head coaching skills (which includes recruiting ability).

How long are we going to have to wait? I think more than half of the 2011 and 2012 classes are already out of the program. Muschamp's program going forward will be mostly founded upon the 2013 class. Especially on offense, 2013 was reallly when he started to build an O.

Not sure what the point of this is. How does this relate to Muschamp? Meyer proved over and over his ability to build a program, win with other guy's players, win with his own, etc.

What I notice is how quickly Meyer integrated guys like Tebow and Harvin to shape the program in his vision. Even in year 3 last year the majority of our impact players were Meyer guys. (Burton, Dunbar, Patton, Halapio, Harrison, Murphy, Michael Taylor, Easley, Orr, Riggs, Mack Brown, Powell, Ball, etc). Forgive people if they are losing patience but we are 3 years in and its still very unclear if/when Muschamp is going to start putting his stamp on this thing and making it his own.

If anyone needs to be a little more impatient its Muschamp himself. No way does Meyer let nearly the entire highly-touted 2013 recruiting class essentially sit on the bench and/or redshirt when the roster was so lacking in talent the way Muschamp did last year. Sure we saw Taylor eventually and VH3, but we sure could have used those receivers, some linemen, linebackers, safeties, etc. If WM knew how to get those guys up to speed faster he would have.

This has nothing to do with luck. When your starting QB goes down 3 years running it is not bad luck. It is you. Terrible OL, no QB coaching, ill-conceived offensive schemes are what get QBs hurt. When was the last time Alabama had their QB injured? Is Saban just really lucky? Ok, he mostly has pocket passers. Has Oregon had their starter go down? I don't recall that. How did Manziel not get hurt running around? Because they are all a part of good offenses that build a strong OL, coach up a QB, design an offense to give the QB places to go with the football, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +72
    I also doubt that Bama and UGA had the same offensive ineptitude which infected the defense's motivation. I like Muschamp, but it does seem ironic that Dan Quinn was in charge of that D on the 11-2 team and he just recently orchestrated a D that destroyed Peyton in the Superbowl
  11. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Yea...I'm in wait and see mode. I'm optimistic about the next basketball year and this current baseball season. This football team I can't invest positive energy in quite yet. I still have my tickets, I'll still go screaming like a college kid. But I don't expect much. The latest article of lack of control off the field just more than confirmed the fact that Muschamp isn't a good coach. He has been awful on the field, and can't control off the field. I know that statement will get DV's, but it's cool, won't make me less of a Gator. Won't make the DVers right either. Everyone else is mocking and laughing at us for keeping this terrible coach, we are the walking punch line. Add in our new class of fresh three stars we have going right now...just can't be optimistic, have to be a realist. Guy shouldn't be the coach at UF. I know it's Bomb pearl harbor time, but it doesn't change reality that some of you can't accept. Tennessee, Miami, etc...great programs fall from bad coaching decisions. We had to eventually I guess, hopefully we recover from the most embarrassing season in 30 years for any of the big three in the state eventually.
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,395
    No it doesn't but that's not your point nor mine.
  13. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Well you claimed we don't have a talent problem, nor is Muschamp a coaching problem.

Yet we went 4-8.

So I guess it was us, the fans? No one else to blame is there. Either our players suck, or are coach is not good. It can't be neither. I've seen the recruit rankings...so I'm guessing it isn't the players.
  14. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,395
    You must not have read what I said. For one I never excused the loss to GA Southern. Secondly, I stated success and failure solely falls on Muschamp.

The other things I said was we have the talent but we didn't have the coaches meaning the issues with Pease and Davis were issues that needed fixing and he's done that with two that are more highly revered. Will that pan out? No idea but I'm hoping so.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,813
    True... we also had an insane injury problem last year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,395
    No doubt but some people can't handle that being said so I left it out.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,155
    I think you people have read one too many Billy Mumphrey stories!!
  18. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    Sad to say, this is the first year I can remember not being optimistic about UF Football. :(
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,395
    I prefer the Joel Osteen reference myself. ;)