I'm starting to become optimistic. I can't help it.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Apr 11, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,043
    That's the spirit. Lol. :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +325
    It shouldn't be. But, he still has Mr. 1000% singing his praises.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Yep once you get to SEC loss #3 you can pretty much cross your name of the list of SEC East challenger most years. 7-5 would essentially mean we surpassed that and lost 4 league games. A 4-4 record would put us somewhere around a 7th or 8th place finish. A far cry from Atlanta.

Also while 7-5 sounds a heck of a lot better than 4-8, that 7-5 would probably mean a 4-4 SEC record which would only be a ONE game improvement over last year's 3-5 record.
  4. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    What makes you think the defense will be stout? Didn't we have 3-4 CB's go pro? We have good DE's this year, and good numbers at DT, but we are relatively thin at LB and did not have great play from our LB's or safeties last year. I'm not saying they are bad, I just don't see any superstars in that group right now. No Matt Elam, Reggie Nelson, etc. No Floyd or Easley at DT. Powell is gone, so no production from him. I see Hargreaves and Fowler, and possibly Bullard (he's still playing, right?) as being the stars of our defense. We need more than that to compete for the SECE.

IMO, the offense needs to shoot for 28+ ppg for us to have a chance at going to Atlanta. The defense, even with all the other teams replacing QB's, probably will not hold other teams to less than 20 ppg average. UF is also at a disadvantage in that Muschamp does not know how to beat UGa. Richt is in his head the way Spurrier was in Ray Goff's head.
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,043
    Jarrad davis will be a gator fan household name by seasons end. Jalen Tabor will become well known to us as well. Look for Marcell harris and And Keanu neal to start laying some wood and completely igniting our fans in the stands like a big dunk does in basketball. Gerald Willis III I believe will be another true freshman to look out for. He will be good.

Is September here yet?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Just a feeling that mediocrity will not be tolerated any longer. And the fact that we are still riding the good vibrations from a stellar basketball season. If you remember in 2006 how the two sports motivated each other to be great. I see that with this years team, that they do want to be great. The defense may not be as stout as in the past, but it will be stout based on experience, development, and the burning desire that I believe these kids have to be great. Hey it's not good to be a Florida Gator. IT'S GREAT! TO BE! A FLORIDA GATOR! And that's what makes me think this years defense will be stout...........
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,937
    Yes because supporting him now and at the end of the season are the same?

Good thing is we'll win at least 9 so no worries ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,043
    I'll make a deal with you. If you can name a defense under Muschamp that wasn't stout, I'll answer that question. Otherwise it kind of answers it's self :)
  9. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +784
    How about the defense that played Georgia Southern and gave up, what, 429 yards rushing? When is the last time an SEC defense gave up 429 yards rushing to a heavily injured Division II team (I think they were missing their starting RB and a couple of OL) and claimed to be "stout"? A Division II team's backups dominated and humiliated the UF defense. And it wasn't like we were ahead by 30 and put in the third string. We LOST the game. At HOME. To a D-2 team with only 47 scholarship players on the travel squad.

The second half of last year, we were mostly a powder puff opponent for the teams we played. A creampuff. A cupcake. We gave up something like 37 to F$U. F$U's players were certainly not impressed with our "stout" defense. We may have had one of the stoutest pastry defenses in the NCAA, but they have to improve significantly over the second half of last season before they can be called a stout SEC defense.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. A lot of Muschamp's success on defense at Florida has been primarily with Urban's recruits. Fowler and a couple of CB's were brought in by Muschamp and had great success, but how many others? Urban's recruits are gone. Maybe Muschamp can put together a great defense this year, and with the offense finally showing signs of a pulse, at least there is no excuse for the defense to give up midway through the season, but there are no guarantees.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,043
    The vaunted 2011 champions alabama defense that has all 11 starters in the nfl gave up 302 rushing and 1 completion and 21 pts. But I suppose they weren't stout either. We were down to a walk on lb against GSU. Which so happens to be the most important position when playing the triple option.

Oh and in case that wasn't enough GSU rushed for over 300 yards against UGA in 2012. So it seems that rushing for alot of yards is kind of their thing. :)

If your gonna look at just individual games than FSU wasn't a good team since they struggled against Boston College giving up 35 pts. Yet on the season they were one of the best defense statistically. What was our season defensive rank?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,043
    You can question champs ability to he a hc, definitely his offensive prowess is non existent, but defense I think us the 1 thing everyone generally agrees on and not just here, but the title winning LSU team, at auburn, and texas. He can just flat out coach that side of the ball.
    If you are nervous about our offense I'm with you, though I think this year will be refreshing, hell even being concerned about certain position on defense is understandable but his track record speaks for itself, he usually has those guys pretty solid.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    Agree.

Our defense was exposed throughout the season as being statistically propped up by our ball-control offense and also too heavily reliant on one key player (Easley). They were an OK unit that got the most out of what they had for the most part, but were nowhere near as good as they were in 2012 which a lot of people were trying to claim.

The number of players that Muschamp has brought into the program and groomed into high impact players is startlingly low for having 3 years in the books. I'm not sure what he's doing exactly.

And honestly as bad as the offense has been for so long around here I would not be surprised at all to hear that caused the defense to throw in the towel.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Great response. It is ALL about perspective, and of course it never hurts if you take statistical facts into account. Go Gators!
  14. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    It seemed as the defense did get frustrated to the point of maybe not giving all they had at times. It was hard to watch our offense as a fan, one could only imagine as a defender, beating your guy for 3 strong plays, getting the ball back to the offense, going to get a drink and a breather, then bam!... Offense is 3 and out and before you even caught your breath the sweaty helmet has to go right back on. Now repeat this process over, and over, and over.... Champ has brought in good players, they just need some GREAT coaching! No doubt this year will surprise a lot of restless fans. Go Gators!!!
  15. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Your response got OWNED by Gator N C. Go Gators though!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,736
    Our defense went from dominant with Easley, to solid when he went down, to exploitable as we lost LBs, and they saw that our offense was incapable for scoring more than 10 points or so on their own by the time Murph got hurt. Once another team got to 17 or 20, the game was all but officially over... and their effort, focus (lack of) and frustration level reflected that.

It's a new day. Muschamp clearly knows how to coach defense and we have a lot of talent. If we can put something resembling a functional offense on the field, and convert some opportunities in the red zone, our defense will be strong. Probably not dominant like 2012, but it will be strong.
  17. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +784
    I'm not a mathematician, but 302 yards given up is a lot better than 429. If we give up 302 yards in that game, we win. After the O&B game, we are all thrilled that the offense put together the equivalent of a 375 yard game. That's more than 50 yards shy of what GSU put on our defense, and it's more than 75 yards greater than what GSU was able to gain against Bama.

Again, I'm not sure what your definition of stout is. Are all SEC defenses stout in your book? All you have proven is that Bama and Georgia have better defenses than UF has. A lot better. Muschamp's signature defense was the 2012 defense, which was powered by Urban's recruits, like Floyd, Easley, and Elam, I believe.

I'm not sure why you are giving Muschamp a free pass for being down to one scholarship LB. Isn't Muschamp responsible for recruiting, including LB's? Didn't we still have scholarships available after signing the last few classes? Isn't that a warning as to how easy it would be for UF to be short on LB's this year?
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  18. Hurtin4certain

Hurtin4certain Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    Chemgator, you must have a glass-half-empty-type personality. Yes, this team has its flaws, however if you are to dwell on the negatives and not embrace the positives, you will only suffer in our success and revel in our failures. I hope you find your joy soon. Go Gators!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. chemgator

Ratings Received:
    +784
    Ha. I just prefer not to go through life with blinders on. I can see the potential for the 2014 Gator team, I just don't think it is a certainty. We'll have to get lucky for this team to make it to Atlanta. Real lucky.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +328

I don't think Muschamp, or anyone else, could have possibly predicted the level to which injuries would have an impact last year. I have never seen anything like it. That game was a dumpster fire on many levels. In my opinion that performance was a combination of a team that was physically and mentally drained by a miserable season, some lame duck coaches/players, and cripling injuries at nearly every position on the field. Of course Muschamp has to own some of the blame for that embarrassing loss. I'm sure he could have done more to try to motivate his team, and make adjustments to prevent it. However, using the GSU game as a barometer for the effectiveness of his defenses is not fair IMO.

WRT open scholarships, Muschamp is a bit behind the 8 ball, because he is not allowed to over-sign at all by the UF administration. This puts him at a competitive disadvantage within the SEC. In order for him to have a completely full roster of D1 prospects, he would need to sign a full recruiting class AND have nobody transfer/leave the program in the offseason. I think he would agree with you about roster depth, and would love to have those additional 4-6 scholarship players to work with.

Like many on here, I'm not necessarily sold on Muschamp as our coach. I do feel that it was the right decision to give him one more year to prove that he is the man for the job. I hope he is successful in doing so with a successful 2014 season.
    • Winner Winner x 1