I'm probably in the minority but I can't stand....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by lhnewman, Dec 19, 2013.

1. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Wrong!

Dick started out great in 1979-80, but he sucks swamp water now.

I love college Basketball and Dick Vitale is the negative part of it. Hell during the UNC v/s Texas game all he could talk about was letting P.J. play when the kid is basically a walking NCAA violation.

Geeze Dick sucks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    After Penn State and FSU are we still spouting that--"He deserves to leave on his owm terms" crap?? Nobody who is employed by a company or a university should get to leave on his own terms. I don't even know what the hell that means. If you built a company from scratch into a billion dollar enterprise and you now have senile dementia and you are destroying the company, should the shareholdrrs say "That's okay. He built it. He gets to leave on his own terms?" LUNACY.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +730
    Your opinion of course. I love Dick Vitale as to ME he is college hoops!

Jeff
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. g8tr80

g8tr80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,119
    Dick Vitale doesn't have a bad bone in his body, has done nothing but good things for people in general and has done nothing but great things for the Gator Nation over the years and yet some of you take pleasure in sh*tting on the guy. Impressive.

The original question was what does ESPN see in the guy. Obvoiusly not his detailed knowledge of the 2-3 zone. He's a good ambassador for the game and a great human being. Some of you should take lessons.
  5. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    I a
    m a big fan of college basketball...played very competitive high school ball ( I played with Neal Walk in HS )...I just feel Dick's schtick, well it may be unintended...seems to be more about him...and is irritating to my ears...entertainment...not substance...like much of our news is also
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Arguably the greatest ambassador of the College Game (Ever). I adore the man, you will be hard pressed to find a finer person in any endeavour. Does he love Duke and UNC ? Sure, he and coach K are the best of friends.

That should not upset Florida fans. Dick resides in Florida and is a big supporter of Billy D.

While I can understand some may not like his shtick I still love it after all these years. He calls it like it is.
    I know some here are sore at the SW comments but he is giving the kid tough love. Dick basicaly gave the credit for the Kansas win to Scottie when it was all over.

The man is in his mid 70's and has experienced health problems, ESPN is honoring him for a reason.
    I hope he stays on the scene for years to come because............

Their ain't NO ONE like DICKIE V BABBYYYY
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    How do they test the ratings of a TV talker during a game broadcast? I'm going to watch my team even if a one eyed, no incite, self serving, screamer is in the booth. Gonna hate it. Gonna complain about it. But going to watch it because...... regardless as to self serving..... It's all about me, baby..... guy , it's really all about the teams and the game.

There is one time I love seeing.......It's ME, baby...guy on TV. That's when he's on with Bilas. Bilas can't hide his disdain for this low IQ person's shtick.
  8. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    You guys all seem like pretty good human beings who may even do good work without talking about it and I would much prefer hearing ypur commentary on the games. If the criteria is good works, Mother Teresa of Calcutta should have been the main color person at ESPN.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    He's AWESOME, baby!!!
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,285
    News flash...ratings require more than people watching THEIR teams. Dick brings eyeballs, or ESPN, would send him packing.

As for his knowledge, the guy coached in the NBA. He knows more about the game than every member of this board combined.
  11. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Dick jumped the shark about 10 years ago. I used to love dickie v when I was younger. Now i find him tiresome and played out.

God forbid he brings up Derek Jeter or the broken egg or John Calipari all 30 minute diatribes of him yelling about nothing.

I personally think Clark Kellog is the best. Jay Bilas is ok but comes across as a pompus douche sometines.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    100% agree. Vitale's schtick is way, way past its expiration date.
  13. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Hey Tilly, Go check out who the "guy who knows more about basketball than anyone on this board" selected for the Pistons in 79---the year he was in charge of the Pistons' draft. His 3 picks in the TOP 10 were so horrific that it enabled Detroit to bottom out so they got Thonas a couple of years later. He actually "coached" them one year and QUIT after starting out 0-5. You could not make this stuff up.
  14. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    hey, your second point is probably true. But you wouldn't know it by listening to his commentary, which is the problem most people have with him. He rarely says anything these days except for repeating his catchphrases or going off on ridiculous tangents, and the analysis he does provide is usually simplistic and pretty repetitive. Dickie V used to be fine 7-8 years ago, but he's gotten a lot worse with age and (like madgator said) is a shell of what he used to be. (I could care less about the Wilbekin thing, I've felt like this about Vitale for several years now.)

For your first point, I seriously doubt the broadcasters impact ratings in any meaningful way (if that were true, Billy Packer would've never stuck around so long). Like somebody else said up thread, if the Gators are on, I'm watching no matter who's got the call.
  15. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Vitale's family never tuned in. I sent him a certified letter for a few years to Sarasota. I did not have exact address so just sent it to Postmaster in Sarasota. Sent about 5 of them and never got one back. I always implored him to quit and provided him with a retuen address and phone number. I think I'll try ESPN.
  16. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    News Flash:

No one watches a basketball game because of who is calling the game. They watch the game based on the teams playing.

Dick Vitale was a total flop as a coach. He coached college and tried the NBA and totally failed. His only fall back was to go to a brand new ESPN cable station who could not even sell advertising except to Phillips 66 the first few months.

When he first started Dick was great because he did not take himself seriously. Now he won't shut his pie hole up and basically takes away from the games he calls.

I don't doubt that he is a good guy but even good guys tend to stay around after their usefulness is past.
  17. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,285
    @BEH - People absolutely watch games due to commentators. You and I dont....but some do. Otherwise they wouldnt get paid so much.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. chipleygator

chipleygator Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I love Dick as a person. Seems to be a great guy. I seem to be able to take him better when we are winning. When we are losing he absolutely drives me nuts with his constant talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the game. If the Gators aren't playing, I can tune him out and he doesn't bother me so much. Maybe it is just me.
  19. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Honest to God, Tilly I have never met one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    It just ain't you.