I'm probably in the minority but I can't stand....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by lhnewman, Dec 19, 2013.

1. lhnewman

lhnewman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    Dick Vitale....I want to hear about basketball...strategy...players...not his melodramatic BS...I'm so over it...I have to mute the TV....aarrgghh...am I in the minority??? what does ESPN see in this guy??
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I really don't think you're in the minority.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    He's an institution. You are right in your opinion though. He offers no substance at all, just platitudes to his friends and his PTP's.

He played a big role in helping to build the sport's popularity in 80's & 90's. He has outlived his usefulness, in my opinion.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. UFSECKINGS

UFSECKINGS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    More Jay Bilas, Clark Kellogg knows his stuff too. Maybe even Jay Williams
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat Respected Rival

Ratings Received:
    +730
    Dick Vitale IS college basketball IMHO. If you are not a big lover of college basketball I can understand why you don't love him, but if you love college basketball, you love Dick Vitale!!

Jeff
    • Disagree x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Boring x 1
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I love vitale's passion and impact in the sport. But his in game commentary is loud and lacking.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I disagree - he's a hype man. He captures the attention of those who don't pay much attention to the game and pulls them in. To those who follow the game closely, he offers nothing. No analysis, no insight. All hype. Bilas blows him out of the water imo.

I do appreciate what he's done to popularize college basketball, and his place in college basketball history is indisputable, though.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    another thread about this?! really. the guy is a legend, passionate, and cares about the game. is he always a pleasure to listen to? nope, is any commentator though? some things just go hand in hand and you don't mess with it until the legend is ready to walk away. it reminds of gary and verne for cbs, they aren't anything special, verne can't get half the names right for crying out loud; but he's a broadcasting king whether we like or not. people will watch the game just to hear how bad verne may be that day; usually you get a good laugh out of it(unless its you're team). by the way, dickie v's halftime message about the V foundation is truly moving, i lost my dad to cancer when i was 20 after watching him suffer for 6 years of lung, and brain cancer. his work with the V foundation is great and inspiring. its nice to see that they dont focus on just one cancer also; football gets on my nerves with their breast cancer stuff. cancer is cancer, its great that the V foundation comes to together to fight cancer in general. I am thankful for guys like Dickie who are big advocates for cancer research.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,601

First off, sorry to hear about your father. May he RIP. On topic: I think everyone here admires his passion for helping the fight against cancer. There's NO disputing that. It's his commentary that most have a problem with. I kind of find myself watching the game and not even listening to him, half of the time. How many times must he bring up PTP'rs?!!! Lol

Great, great guy with a great mission in life.... to do his part in the fight against cancer.

We love you, Dickie V.
  10. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887
    up until maybe 5-7 years ago he would offer good insight. I used to love Digger and Vitale together as there was really both quality color and commentary from both. However as time passes things change. To be fair, Dickie V. has had some health issues the past few years so his mental sharpness to the details of the game have certainly declined. Honestly though, he is a shell caricature of himself in both commentary and color.

In the past, he was always loud and over the top, but it was fun and as a former coach he was always able to offer quality commentary when that was what he was focusing on (the moments without the schtik gimmicks).

He has always been an outspoken supporter of the UF program (both basketball and football) and he is part of the Gator family as I believe he has grandchildren who are alumni, something that he was always proud to make public.

All that aside, knowing that I will miss him when he is no longer around. I will appreciate whatever he has left to give. He is both one of a kind and an institution. No matter what your opinion of him may be, there will never be another like him. As a man and as a broadcaster, Dickie V. has earned the right to hack away as many games as he wants to.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/vitale_dick
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +887

I agree with your post other than the Gary and Verne parts.....UGH!!!! They have NEVER been anything special. They have just been around the longest.

Keith Jackson they are not.
  12. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    well just don't cry when he's gone. good guy, i love listening to him during games.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bryan85

Bryan85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Ruins every game broadcast he's on. A screaming, raving jackass. I've noticed, however, ESPN has recently turned down his mike, which helps. Also, Dan Schulman now interrupts his off topic rants and gets the..... discussion.... back to the game.

Don't care if he's a good guy or....enthusiastic. I watch college basketball in order to see a game. Don't care about Lasagna, nor any of his friends. I came to watch and hear about.....the game.

Learned all I need to know about this guy's character from the play at games end a few years ago which involved Kenny Boynton. Last second shot, opponent goes up for a 3 point shot, Kenny goes straight up and it looks like he makes contact. Vitale-for-brains starts screaming, raving........."OHHHH, OHHHHH. No call. Awful." They show the shot from another angle in slo-mo. Zero contact. No post shot touch, hand-clap nor anything. Vitale's response? "I don't care, that should have been called." Really? Just too gutless to say he was wrong.

I could only wish he would get his own show away from ruining game broadcasts. You may call it..... "The enthusiasm show with a guy who invented college basketball." I'd call it... "The screaming, raving jackass show."
    • Boring Boring x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +583
    this post takes it just a little bit too far. the guy is not a jackass. he loves the game, sure you don't like it but that doesn't make him a jackass.
  15. Bryan85

Ratings Received:
    +229
    Remember, the game broadcast is all about him. Not the teams. And those clever sayings...... Hey, Vitale, how about hire some writers and get something new. Same old crap for 20 some years.... "Awsome with a capital A, baby." "PTPer, baby." "A diaper-dandy, baby."

Here's a suggestion for ESPN..... "Euthanasia, baby."
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Bryan's not wrong in that, love him though we may, Dickie V brings down the quality of a game broadcast. He doesn't do his research on players (beyond whom online recruiting boards tell him are "PTP-ers!" and he doesn't watch the game action closely. There are other outlets where ESPN could put his unbridled enthusiasm for the game to seemingly better use, like a weekly hoops special or a recruiting show. But then, when you're talking about a guy who doesn't do research, he's not going to come off well there, either.
  17. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Agree, I think he's earned the right to leave on his own terms. There's no law against muting the TV. That button exists on the RC for a reason.
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,282
    Who sounds like the Jackass now?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Bryan85

Ratings Received:
    +229
    This is from some sports writer, I know not who. Pretty accurate....

A list of more than 150 subjects Vitale ranted about during a recent game that had nothing to do with the game. I know every broadcasting team has filler material for those blowout games, but Vitale has nothing but filler material. Dick, we don't care who you had dinner with the night before and we don't care who paid for it. We don't care about the latest cute thing your grandkids did. We don't care about a conversation you had with Whitey Ford back in 1983. We care about the game; that's why we're watching the game. Stop slobbering all over every coach and player in the history not only of basketball but any other sport as well, and talk about the game you're allegedly being paid to analyze. And get this through your skull: if you publicly fellate every single player and coach and declare them to be a "PTPer", that means none of them are. Save the hyperbole for those who might actually deserve it. Just because a coach once had a 20 game season doesn't make him a hall of famer.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,282
    Heres a fact. ESPN would not put him out there if he hurt ratings, they do test the market...constantly...so yes...you are apparently in the minority.