I'm probably going down in flames for this...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorcrimlaw08, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    But is it too late for Champ to beg, grovel, and plead with Jacoby to rejoin our ranks?

After today, I am no longer a believer in Jeff Driskel. I typically try my absolute best to support all of our guys through good and bad (including JBIV). However, after today I can't help but feel like Jeff is just not cut out to play under center at Florida. There is no denying that he is a superb athlete and has showed flashes of promise, albeit inconsistently. However, I don't think he has the confidence, football IQ, or consistency necessary to lead our team, and at this point I think he is everything he's ever going to be. The only time he looked like he knew what he was doing today was when we ran the hurry up and had Miami scrambling around on defense. As much as I'd like to say his discombobulation was isolated to today's game, it's something I've seen from him at multiple points throughout his career with the Gators. At this point, I've got to believe it's actually Jeff's inability to read coverages, as well as find and hit open targets, that is handcuffing the offense rather than our "lack of a deep threat". I also have to believe our staff knows Jeff's not able to excel in passing, so they keep things simple for him. Honestly, other than his wheels, what does Jeff bring to the offense that Jacoby couldn't do? We have an established run game and I'm pretty sure Jacoby is capable of handing the ball off. Furthermore, if we had a QB who could pass we wouldn't really need one with wheels, would we? Admittedly we only saw a small sample size from Jacoby while he was a Gator, but he seemed to be a hell of a lot more confident than Jeff, had a rocket for an arm, and was more of a pure passer. He also had the backing of guys like Elam, which in my mind counts for a lot. IMO, the only reason Jeff topped Jacoby for the starting job was because of his wheels, which we needed at the time but wouldn't any longer if we had someone who could throw the damn ball.

Anyhow, that's my rant. I still hope we can pull it together and have a respectable season, but with Jeff in control of the offense I'm not holding my breath.
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,725
    We saw what Jacoby can do. He had his chances. Driskel was/is better.

Elam was Jacoby's childhood friend. You think that count's for a lot? C'mon.
  3. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,684
    Jeff Driskel wasn't the only problem today, and you guys really need to take a deep breath and step back on dissin' on Jeff. There were also other players committing stupid penalties, fumbling the ball away, running the wrong routes, blowing coverages, and basically not hitting the right lanes/holes.

This is not all on Jeff and it's unfair to say so.
  4. gatornana

gatornana Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +963
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.