I'm Going To Harvard

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by gatorchamps0607, Mar 27, 2014.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    Ok, not really. :D

However, I did find a really cool website where I am taking a Harvard course that I can get a certificate for thats free. There are also a ton of other courses and you can either get an edX type of certificate for free, a certificate from the school for around $350(which Harvard basically gives you back via a $350 voucher for another course) or you can pay the big bucks ($2000) and actually receive a college credit for actually completing the course.

https://www.edx.org/

I know there are more sites like this, but I thought I'd share some knowledge with the Pub folks.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    Yes I believe so. The course I'm taking now (CS50x) is open until December 2014 and I can complete everything by that time and receive a certificate. Other courses start at a certain date.

As far as I know, this is one of the only actually free MOOC's (at least so far from my research, edX looks completely free) and the course I'm taking now is lightyears away from any other course I've looked into with these MOOC sites.

I'd recommend CS50 to everyone, after finishing the first weeks assignments, I've learned more now than I did at my current college with their intro to programming. Its not even close. By the way, even though its online, the support Harvard and the real/edX students offer is out of this world.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,057
    Interesting. I'd like to hear more as you take more. I've been following with a bit of interest given the upsides and downsides to online learning (I teach a course or two online every summer, but not during the semesters).
  4. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    I'll update as I go through the lessons, right now I kind of have to focus on my real school because Im about to hit a stretch where I have to have my website finished fully functioning with PHP, javascript and the whole 9 yards. Thats the great thing about this course, I have until December to finish it.

I edited my last post to add this but the support they offer students in this edX course is out of this world. I don't get nearly the amount of support from my college now. The online community just for this one course is outstanding. I have all the resources Harvard offers their students minus the face to face with the instructor/TA's.

Their facebook community alone is very robust and has students from all over the world. You ask a question on their Facebook group and its answered within minutes from real Harvard students, TA's and edX students alike. I don't get too excited or impressed by much, but it really is great all-around.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,057
    Key point. If there is support, that makes it much more valuable. I've always learned better in talking to and working with others, but some others not so. But if you are learning and finding it valuable and folks are there to help out, that is terrific.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +1,711
    I don't really have a preference of learning besides the fact that I hate lectures. I'm a hands on kind of guy and this is pretty hands on. I built a game (nothing special) for my first assignment in Scratch. I actually just got it graded via edX and I got a 100%.

As an example of just one support system, here is their group on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/cs50/

And just for chits and giggles, this was my first assignment.
    http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/19903874/
  7. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +768
    Yes, it is a MOOC and this one is developed out of Harvard. There is another major one out of Stanford called Coursera. This is latest fad in higher education based on the premise that an education should be free to all. What blows this utopian fantasy out of the water is education costs money because people need to be compensated for their work so they can pay the rent.
  8. Strikepackagegator

Strikepackagegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,258
    I completed three Harvard Business School online courses during my Defense Aquisition Life Cycle Logistics certification. They counted as upper level BS credits.