I'm bored

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ATL_Gator, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Need something new to do.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,339
    Why are you bored ? Is it because you've reached your physique goals ?
  3. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    No, not really. (this will probably be long)

There is always "drop some fat".. which I am actively working on (and doing pretty good at). Dropped 10-15 lb or so since the end of January. That is probably closer 10 due to this past week/weekend. My path for this goal. Calories (gasp!). Beyond the notion that I don't buy the blogna from packaged diet plans that cut/eliminate stuff... for me, completely killing something I like just doesn't work. I am not mentally strong enough to say no to pizza long term. Anyway, that is going OK....

For me, I have found a STRONG correlation to how well I can manage "amount of food eaten" with "amount of activity done".. and that is an inverse relationship, oddly enough. I think there are multiple reasons behind this.

Physically, I am not sure I have anything specific right now.

Strength wise, I had some goals that I wanted to do, but I am not sure I can really achieve some of those now. I may just completely walk away from heavy squatting. Knee pain in my left knee comes back right when I feel like I am getting into the groove again and end up having to rest it for weeks before I can even attempt it again, only to go back to really light weight. I hate bench press. I have never been very good at it and haven't really seen much movement in terms of max capability in years.

I enjoy standing overhead press and deadlift. I have gotten tired of various routines to "advance" those though. Have tried to go back and restart some of those, but just get blah about them very fast, or my knee ends up hurting again from squats and I use that to justify "resting"...

I do want to get better at pullups. I have always been aweful at those.

I enjoy playing sports, a lot.

I am not very good at coming up with routines on my own. Just not that inventive, nor do I seem to get any cohesiveness to things. The times when I have felt the most success at some sort of "program" was following stronglifts, 5/3/1, or attending some of my gyms "classes" (high rep, low weight, varying intensity stuff).

I have contemplated crossfit multiple times (including right now).. just can't come to grips with the price. The concept seems attractive to me though. Show up, someone challenges you to do something, then do it, along with other people who are trying to do the same thing. (no thinking, just do).

Anyway, back to the idea of my equation...

(amount I eat) = 1 / (amount of activity I do)

The last 2 weeks have been bleak activity wise. I have found multiple excuses to stay away from the gym, mostly centered around "I don't feel like it". My last trips there were literally only to play basketball (which may be dwindeling), which has been only 2-3 trips in 2 weeks. Conversely, I have been eating a lot more than I usually do.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,339
    By inverse relationship between food eaten and activity do you mean the more you exercise the better you manage your eating ?

If so, how would you feel about training every damn day ? That's what I'm starting to do. Do you have access to the gym every day ?
  5. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Exactly what I mean by inverse relationship. It is probably in my head, but I have noticed that as I go extended periods of "resting".. I eat more. I want to eat more, and ultimately cave to the desire. When I do more "gym activity", I can cull the cravings MUCH easier, so much to the point where sometimes I don't even get them (such as snacking on sweets).

My gym access is pretty much every day that I am at work. I go at lunch time. I work a 9/80 schedule, so 9 out of 14 days I can go (every other Friday is off). On days off of work, my 4 year old and out of work commitments keep me far too busy.

Getting up and going to the gym isn't necessarily the problem, it's finding something to do when I get there to make the trip worthwhile.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,339
    Why don't you try Dan John's EASY STRENGTH then ? You do it for forty days. You can do it every day. But lots of folks do it Monday through Friday and just do easy stuff on the weekends.

Basically, you do the same five, basic movements every day. Do a push, a pull, a squat, a deadlift and a loaded carry. This may be just the prescription for your squatting woes. You get to go light. You HAVE to go light.

The whole idea is to become brilliant at the basic movements. And if the movements are important, you should do them every day or almost every day.

For your push, pull, squat and deadlift do 2 X 5 every day. Start with only 50% of your estimated 1 rep max. Add weight only when that becomes RIDICULOUSLY easy. You can even wave your efforts if you like. This is the anti-stress template. There are no rules. If you feel lousy one day and need to reduce the weight, simply reduce the weight and aim for precision reps. It's the movement that counts.

Incidentally, some folks attest that, even after starting so light, they're accomplishing personal records before the 40 days have elapsed.

Don't be deceived. It is the accumulated volume that will likely have an effect. Even if you only work out Mon through Friday that's 50 reps per movement.

FYI: I'm going to be experimenting with every day training by means of marrying the PLP Challenge and Easy Strength. For the PLP part I'm doing towel-grip pullups, one-armed pushups and pistol squats. I will retain the deadlift and the loaded carry from Easy Strength. For loaded carry I've filled a garbage can with about 75 lbs. of gravel, better than half my bodyweight. I'll just bear hug the can and carry.

I do suspect that a template like Easy Strength would serve to scratch your itch to do something every day. But unlike Crossfit or P90X, it's the other side of the spectrum from "chasing the calorie burn" or, inexplicably, aiming to exhaust yourself every time out. Seriously, why do people do this ?
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,339
    BTW, the Easy Strength is what I'm after. The PLP is only an interim measure. It is a means to an end. Currently, the one-armed pushups and pistols are a tad arduous to fit into a template characterized as 'Easy.' The OAP is presently the most demanding movement. So, the idea is to build up reps until I can do five in a row without much difficulty.

At that point I'll dump the PLP and incorporate OAP's and pistols into the Easy Strength template and, if it works for me, I'd seriously consider doing something like it forever.
  8. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Will check that out. Thanks.

Personally, I don't mind working myself into exhaustion. I understand that it isn't the most efficent form of manipulating the energy balance equation. Input has far more influence on "fat loss" results than the output due to exercise. However, I see the following benifits from exercising to exhaustion (well, lets just say putting in hard work)

Gives me something to concentrate on other than eating.
    Delayed or even deterred cravings.
    Burning only 300 calories extra, which is small and can be consumed quite quickly (input)... that is 300 extra calories I can now eat and still remain "under budget".

For what it's worth, P90X doesn't work for me either (any at home system)... Between stuff I have to do at home, and other stuff that I want to do (spend time with the family, post process my photographs, play games, watch tv), any workout is simply not going to be done. Especially P90X that pushes you an hour plus multiple nights a week.

For me, lunch gym visits are where it's at.

-------

Not going today though. LOL. Wasn't motivated, so didn't even pack my bag this mornning.