Illegal formation option play

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by StonewallJawkson, Oct 14, 2013.

1. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Did anybody else notice the play we ran on fourth down with five minutes left in the third quarter? We lined up with Murphy and four other backs in the backfield -- obviously an illegal formation. Murphy went under center, looked over the defense, and saw that the right cornerback was playing man-to-man (he was watching the QB, not the receiver, and had inside position on the receiver). Murphy knew the CB would have to go downfield with the receiver and thus clear out the right flat. He audibled and the four backs made a weird little circular motion and one peeled off to the left to be on the line of scrimmage and make the formation legal. The rest were left in the usual diamond formation, but LSU had only a second to realize this before Murphy snapped the ball and ran the option to the now vacated right side. Result: first down.

Obviously, Murphy must have had other options to choose from depending on the defense. He had to audible since we were in an illegal formation otherwise. Whatever play he took us into, LSU would have only a second to recognize the formation and decide what to do.

The announcers were no help. They only mentioned that Murphy saw that the option play would work.

This was the most creative play design I have seen in years. I hope we see more of it in the future.
  2. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +239 / 72 / -15
    Feds, is that you?
  3. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593 / 71 / -38
    Seeing as how we called timeout prior to that, I assumed it was a predetermined formation (the illegal one) and we were always going to shift out of it into a legal formation from there. Possibly TM looks at the defense and calls which way the play should be run to, and the pre-snap motions adjust accordingly.
  4. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm certain the illegal formation was intentional to prevent LSU from knowing what formation we were running out of until the last second and I'm willing to bet that Murphy had more choice than just which way to run the option play.

In 40 years of watching the Gators, I've never seen a play like that. I like it.
  5. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +593 / 71 / -38
    Yeah you know Pease has drawn up some interesting plays. We saw a lot of running last year as well but I feel like we saw a lot more variety from him as well in terms of pre-snap movement and formations, sweeps, option plays, reverses, etc. Every once in a while he throws in a gadget-type play like the flea-flicker and the "fumble-rooskie" like last week. I think if he had his say we'd be a lot more creative.

One thing that I can't recall seeing too much so far this year is the hand off where a WR is coming across the field behind the play as if he were taking an end-around in order to keep the OLB honest on that side of the field. We ran it frequently last year, including Gillislee's icer against FSU. I wonder what happened to that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku37wsgL27U

Check it out. The DE and safety who creeps up into the box are frozen as they watch the end-around action and once they realize it its too late. Gilly is gone up the middle. Something as simple as this could help our running game out a lot, IMO. Are we still doing this as much and Im just missing it?
  6. GatorTD8to10

GatorTD8to10 Member

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 1 / -1
    Most of the time we have too many offensive linemen to have someone do that.
  7. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +62 / 2 / -2
    Yeah, the initial formation was always going to be shifted out of. We do something like that every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  8. StonewallJawkson

StonewallJawkson Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'd be interested in other specific examples. I've never seen a similar play, either by the Gators or some other team.