1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

I'll take what I saw today for the next 12-13 games

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Sep 1, 2013.

1. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    So you are ignoring LSU for most of the decade and Bama under Saban (except for last season when they had a good passing attack)?

We were in control of the game so they kept running in the 2nd half. The game plan was vanilla. This season they will actually be able to throw it when they need it, unlike last season. Driskel did well yesterday. I think they just stayed vanilla yesterday.

Also to call our offense bad is simply not true. We will once again have one of the best rushing attacks in the nation.

Our formula of elite defense+ elite running game+ taking care of the football has helped LSU and Bama capture multiple national titles over the past decade. Auburn should have won a title in 04 with the same strategy. It is a proven formula.
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,185
    :huh: If somebody wrote about last year's offense, I missed it. Yesterday's performance had nothing to do with last year's offense. Did you feel the offense performed at or below the level of last year's opener? Call the team an "outlier" if you must, but they won. What indication do you have that yesterday's performance is a reason to forecast 4-5 losses?
  3. c_gator24

c_gator24 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I think Pease will open up the offense against Miami. I expect alot more passing plays especially deep throws, when driskel had time to throw he can be great.

John 14:6
  4. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +859
    Our strategy should be to wear down Miami's defense. We have an advantage in depth but we need our defense to be aware of where Duke Johnson is at all times.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Muschamp was on record last Monday saying he wanted to control the tempo of this game in order to reduce snaps for the defense given Toledo's penchant for controlling the pace of the game, the heat, the missing starters, and the game coming next week against Miami. Sure, we also wanted to work the pass game a little, which we did and to pretty impressive effect.

The fact that Toledo may have been plus-1 in the box does not preclude them being in a zone or playing some type of umbrella coverage. One of the benefits of a zone blitz scheme is that you can sink a safety into the box without taking someone out of coverage.

Though you are right that our receivers just aren't that good beating coverage deep. That has been a weakness since 2009. I was personally hoping to see more of Fulwood and Robinson, but they are freshmen in their first games and Driskel obviously was more comfortable completing the right pass given the defense than forcing a deep ball into coverage to appease the stadium.

If we need a shootout to win a game this year, we will probably loose. That doesn't fit our talent or our style. Fortunately, this defense will be good enough to preclude those sorts of games in most instances. The only offenses that could even plausibly threaten us that way is Georgia, and I would still take our defensive backs all day against their overrated receivers. Miami, LSU, and FSU all can move the ball at times or hit big plays, but none to my mind can engineer a 30-point game or three-touchdown half against our defense.
  6. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +859
    What I was pleased with was the revelation that we have two more solid receivers in Valdez and Gideon.
  7. g0ggles

g0ggles Member

Ratings Received:
    +39
    Liked how efficient the offense was early on. Like the dline pressure (Fowler looked impressive), Loved how the defense responded after the turnover & the running game was successful. If that equals a win, count me as a fan
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    I really like Johnson. Their receivers are average, their offensive line is below average, and Morris is overrated, but Johnson is quick, tough, and explosive. One thing I watched very closely on Saturday was our run fits given all the new personnel back there and how effective Toledo ran out of their spread zone stuff. Outside of one big run, we were pretty solid for the most part. Orr and Easley blew up the A-gaps repeatedly and Taylor and Ball were outstanding filling their gaps on the interior. Cox and McCallister were playing for the first time, so I can cut them a little slack. It will be nice to have Cummings eligible and hopefully Jacobs healthy. We need Morrison back, especially if Kitchens is dinged. Riggs was a demon cleaning up at that second level and we will need that support. Maye was solid and should get better. If we can contain Johnson, I don't see them getting beyond 13-17 points. If we can't then, the game gets into the 20s and that will make it tougher on us.
  9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    I've seen so many stinkers of a first game that this game was refreshing. We ran well with missing pieces, we threw well, we did what we wanted win, control clock and I liked it. I saw enough passes to know that we can do what we need when we need it. There was no way this game was in jeopardy of being lost therefore no reason to show much.

The D is strong. The O improved albeit one game. Go gators.
  10. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    I'm sorry, I don't agree with this. You generally know what you're talking about, but I disagree completely. Again, we don't know what this offense is going to look like. You can only take so much from a game against a MAC opponent, man. Clearly the staff held back after that final score.

Heck, the running game will look entirely different with a healthy Jones. The line still has yet to take shape. And we have no idea how good these receivers really are. How involved will guys like Burton and Showers be in tight games? How is the staff going to use the young talent at receiver? What about the tight ends that the coaching staff raved about and told us they were going to use in multiple TE sets? How much will this staff challenge teams vertically? Will it matter if it's a more efficient unit? Why is going deep such a big deal? What if Florida simply reduces the number of penalties it had last season and becomes more efficient scoring in the red zone? What if it simply cuts down on the number of 3-and-outs from last season? Will people still complain?

Again, I'll make a comment nobody is going to listen to: This offense showed us nothing yesterday. Aside from a few passes thrown, the staff obviously preferred running time off the clock to get out of that game yesterday.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    I don't disagree with any of the above, but none of it has to do with the statement of mine you cited, namely, that our current crop of receives aren't deep threats. Fulwood and Robinson will be, but Patton, Burton, and Dunbar aren't.
  12. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    Well, I think we're going to find out soon if Robinson and Fulwood are ready to seriously contribute in SEC competition. They are certainly different receivers than any of the others on our roster, so there's a chance that one-or both-could emerge into a deep threat for us now. Not that I'm really concerned about that, but apparently many are.

We won't see too many offenses (like Clemson, Oregon, etc...) that will force us into a track meet. I think our pass rush and secondary is going to make Aaron Murray look awful for four quarters. We're built quite differently than Clemson defensively, so I doubt Florida will be in any games where you see a 44-41-type of score at the end of the game.

We'll find out more in the next few weeks.
  13. nastyreptile

nastyreptile Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    Another objective met was to get out of that game with no injuries to speak of.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,325
    It's hard to tell when it's supposedly a physical mis-match, but what I saw that was different from last year was an O line that executed better on running plays, made fewer mistakes and was less likely to lose its composure after making a mistake. I saw a running back who is not starter gain over a 100 yards. I saw a couple of new receivers step up, even though one is technically a running back and the other a fullback. I saw a slightly more confident and composed QB who was one dropped pass away from a career day.

On defense I saw exactly what I expected, different from last year, but possibly just as good. Ball, Taylor, Orr, Maye and Riggs grow up right before our eyes. Powell was running around like somebody who has never had knee surgery in his life. Roberson struggled but don't expect to see that again. Easley and Fowler are even more intimidating than they were last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,976
    I think we're going to disrupt their run and pass games and Easley and Orr will be a big part of that.

Agree on Duke being a threat, although I think we mostly need to contain him coming out of the backfield in the pass game. Not too worried about the run game given how the match up against their OL looks right now.
    • Like Like x 2