I'll take what I saw today for the next 12-13 games

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by SavageGator, Sep 1, 2013.

1. SavageGator

SavageGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +438
    What impressed me is quite different from the Gators complaining about a lack of a wide open passing offense. It is not just that we won but is how we won. Toledo finished last season essentially tied with Alabama with an average of 445 yds gained per game and ranked 32nd in the nation in that category. Toledo had most everyone back on the offense. We held them to 205 yds. In 2012 Toledo scored an average of 31.5 pts per game and we kept them out of the endzone altogether allowing just two FG's.

However, the most important statistic aside from the final score of 24-6 was the time of possession advantage we enjoyed. We not only shut down a good offensive team but we controlled the ball almost 40 minutes to their 20. If we were able to do that every game we would be in Pasadena for the BCS championship game!

Coach Muschamp is sticking to a formula that has proven successful for top teams in the past and I love it.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +607
    All the furore about the up-tempo offense makes me wonder if we don't hold the master card in defeating it. Fast can be good but if you've a quality, deep D and you can then control the ball on offense, it really wears the other side down and saps the momentum generated by playing quickly.

Love the identity we have on defense. Tough, plodding, blue collar. It's not razzle dazzle but it gets the job done.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    There's not a fan outside of the SEC who could name a single defensive back on this Gator D. In fact, Easley might be the only player anybody knows on this Gator team. It's a group of guys who go to work, play hard, and they're extremely talented. I was pleased with the chemistry of the defense in week one. I really expected more mistakes, more breakdowns in coverage, and a bit more of a struggle against the Rockets.

There were a couple of dropped passes by the Rocket receivers and Owens was a bit off, but I was impressed with the play of our secondary. I like watching Cody Riggs play football. Even without Purifoy, the secondary had a very nice game. We were in the nickle/dime for the majority of that game, and the Gator D flexed some serious depth back there.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    I saw what I needed to see from the D. Will be top 5 and there will be plenty of recognition of individuals by mid season. We have some superstars about to burst on the scene.
  5. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +676
    The most difficult teams for us when it was "all about the O" were strong defensive teams that could control the ball on offense. Remember Auburn in 2006 and 2007? Nothing really spectacular but a lot of frustration for Gator fans as they would convert 3rd and 2, 3rd and 3 and keep our offense off the field. Muschamp was the D Coordinator for Auburn. Yes, it's frustrating after being spoiled by Spurrier & Meyer on offense; but, I bet the teams we play will be MORE frustrated as we grind out another 10-12 point victory while their offense languishes on the sideline.
  6. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,845
    Nothing wrong with winning. We could run the wishbone if we truly wanted to run the ball, QB included. I still say that our propensity for penalties, and an occasional TO/brain fart play, will make some games seriously in question.

I don't want 50-point blowouts against undermanned teams because it looks good. But you DO need to try some big plays in order to work the kinks out. A lack of trying is NOT a very good trait, IMO, and to wait until when we have to have a big play and then we aren't game prepared.

The D is a good one. Easley has an incredible first step.
  7. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    The only problem I have with it, like I have said is that we probably won't be able to control the clock versus every single team. I love the defense, I love the special teams, I love the running attack, and Driskel showed me he's definitely quicker in the decision process department.

That being said, yesterday Toledo was a perfect team to practice throwing maybe just a couple deep balls against. It is hard to believe that we were just taking what they were giving us, because quite a few times I seen 7-8 men in the box daring Florida to throw, and if our receivers can not get open against toledo's backs then we need new WR's.

At some point we will have to air it out to win this season I'm calling it now, and if you think not then your crazy. This was the perfect team to practice against, but maybe the coaches feel as if next week against Miami it will be a better chance? I can not see how seeing how Miami had 3x's better athletes.

Either way maybe they'll surprise us, and I was greatly impressed by Driskel, man he just look quick, and sharp.

GO GATORS!
  8. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I'm down with this style of play for the most part as I think it wins 70% of the time in football when you have equal or greater talent base than the team you are playing.

That being said my concerns are our kicking game, not so much Christy, but we can't leave ANY points on the field once we start playing the likes of UM,LSU,UGA, Vandy, USCe, and FSU.

I love the fact that our running game usually keeps us at a good down and distance but unless we start taking 2 or 3 shots down the field, of 25 yards or more, that will slowly start to vanish IMO.
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,379
    Its a formula that has won 13 of 15, so Ill take it.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  10. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I understand what you're saying, and I'm incredibly happy with our defensive performance. It couldn't have gone any better and our defense will keep us in a game against any team in the nation. But slowing down a game is a strategy employed by teams that are outmatched talent wise, not good teams. Good teams know that the more downs we play, the more we will pull away from an outmatched team. That's why Oregon and Meyer's teams always talk about how many offensive plays they can put on during a game. If you slow the game down, you are keeping it closer, and always keeping a lesser talented team only 1 or 2 drives away from taking the lead. That applies to any sport. That's why a crappy Princeton basketball team was able to beat much better teams in the 90s by scores like 40-38. Again, props to the defense, but I'd love to have put up more points against Toledo than either Central and Eastern Michigan did last year.
  11. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +438
    I too would like to see a more varied passing attack. But I'm reminded of Texas coach Darrell Royal always said "when you put the ball in the air 3 things can happen and two of them are bad". In other words you can complete the pass or it can be intercepted or it is not completed. But it has another effect. It usually makes for drives that take less time. Why is that bad? It gives your opponent's offense more time to move the ball and score.
  12. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I've always thought that statement was really stupid (not sure it originated with Royal but it doesn't matter, it's stupid no matter who started it). When you run the ball only four things can happen and three of them are bad - fumble, loss of yardage, or no gain. Since more bad things than good can happen on both a run and a pass I guess the idea should be to punt on first down.
  13. SavageGator

Ratings Received:
    +438
    When it's done well, running eats the clock denying your opponent the chance to score.
  14. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    I think the incomplete pass is different than a run in that it stops the clock, the other factors are pretty equal. That can be both an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your perspective!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  15. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Then be prepared for a 4-5 loss season. Teams with bad offenses, which I'm assuming you mean you are okay with last years offense, are typically 4-5 loss teams. We were a major outlier last year.
  16. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    Great post and I agree - all things considered we have a proven formula and now have to get back our missing players as well as work out some kinks. It will come. Our game yesterday was very inspiring for me on many levels. We have a boatload of new players and they showed more maturity and poise than I can remember from any freshman class in recent years. Our second-ranked recruiting class last year has sure shown dividends already.

Two areas I think still need work: penalties and our kicking game.

Rep to you Mr. Savage Gator. :)
  17. GatorBait19

GatorBait19 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Agreed.
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,387
    Slowing down a game is not employed solely by outmatched teams. As for offensive plays, it should be considered relative to the opponent. Florida had 70 offensive snaps, compared to 54 for Toledo. Florida held the ball for 40 minutes, compared to 20 for Toledo. Comparing our football's offensive to Princeton basketball is just silly.
  19. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,032
    Here's a great quote I just read from a Toledo player:

Love it! :grin:
  20. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    WM knows he cannot please all the fans and I am happy wins. The game is changing and WM has the winning smarts. Fans will always gripe about the O being boring or not winning huge every game.
    • Like Like x 1