I'll take Scottie

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFreak, Nov 25, 2013.

1. KAGator67

KAGator67 Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Boy! .. I missed the mark on this...He was AWESOME in the Kansas game... My apologies.. I have to eat my words ...
    .... maybe I should delete my original post..
    • Like Like x 1
  2. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    This is a very typical type of anti-Wilbekin rant that I have watched occur over and over again throughout his four years as a Gator. When you are playing a full game without almost no rest, and not only are you leading the offense, but also guarding the opponent's most dangerous offensive player through the game, you are going to be TIRED. Had D. Walker been available, he could have had more time off, and with Hill around he won't always have to run the offense. However, Billy D likes to see his primary PGs play roughly 30 minutes per game. During the other 5 or 10, he is not being "benched," but "rested."
  3. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I don't know why our fan base seems to hate some of our players...I mean I still think Hill has the court vision over Wilbekin but Wilbekin is awesome. He defends, he is a leader even with off the court issues. I think our fan base really just wants to not like some of our players or something. Not bashing our fan base at all but I do think we could be better at supporting the players sometimes(Coaches are fair game except Billy, don't you talk about Billy!!!).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    I don't count Jason Williams because of his short stay as a Gator. IMHO, Scottie is the best point guard that UF has had in the Biily era. I expect Scottie to be a solid NBA player.
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    From my seat, Scottie looked like the best basketball player on the floor for much of the game. Granted, that honor obviously goes to Wiggins, but for 30+ minutes. . . you would not have known it.
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    Slight disagreement. Wilbekin was the best basketball player on the floor, including Wiggins, in this one game.
  7. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I will not argue.
  8. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    It's absolutely amazing how much Prather and Wilbekin have improved in their four years here.
  9. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    He is very good but I think Jason deserves that spot for now. If Wilbekin continues to play as he has so far this year, that is very possible.
  10. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    I am chiming in late on the "best" discussion, but TG still gets my vote.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    Jason goes to Lexington and single-handedly beats UK, who go on to win the national title. We play UK at home later in the season. I am sitting in the second level behind one of the baskets. I look to my right. Jason is sitting a few seats down from me in his street clothes. End of season.
  12. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    Yep. Me too, and I'd put Brett Nelson right behind him. And those are NO disrespect to Scottie at all.
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    You can make a strong argument for Taurean, but I think that Scottie would have locked down some of the guards that Taurean couldn't handle (Mike Conley, etc.).
  14. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    SW is a way better defender than TG, but TG was one of the best shooters in college basketball his junior season and won us a ton of games at the free throw line. The way SW has played, he's definitely up there, but TG would still have my vote.

As for Nelson - depends on whether you're talking about soph/junior Nelson (maybe the best PG we've had under Donovan) or senior Nelson (blech).
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +772
    Yeah I have Williams/Calathes/Nelson as the top tier. Green/maybe now Wilbekin as the next level. Like you said, there is no shame in being behind a guy like Nelson. Wilbekin has a chance to have a special season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I wouldn't take Calathes over Green or Wilbekin. Calathes was a great PG and didn't deserve a lot of the blame he got in his few seasons here for the team's lack of success, but he couldn't defend a statue.
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,951
    I don't think tommy was ranting at all. Why would rants throughout Scottie's long career account for anything? He's a completely different player than he was when he came in as a 17 yr old freshman. And your take about not always having to run the offense is exactly what tommy was talking about. I don't feel Billy looks to play his pgs 30 min, unless there is a clear-cut starter (as is most common, esp at that position).
  18. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661

Agreed!

Although to Scottie's defense in the discussion. SW, for the two years he was the primary PG, has been dealt a much more limited hand to work with. Don't get me wrong, our team is excellent. However, the individual capabilities of each of the team mates is certainly more limited than what TG had.

In the past I would also argue that TG was a better scorer when needed. In games where we needed 20+ from TG, we got 20+ points. SW has not been that sort of scorer, even though his defense is second to none. TG was able to get away with being an average at best defender because of the guys behind him. But after that Kansas game, we are finally starting to see a legitimate all around scoring game out of SW. I was really impressed with his finishing on the drive. If we get that on a consistent basis, we will be a tough team to beat.
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,871
    Wilbekin is playing really well, and having a great impact so far. Tampa's prediction that he would be our MVP is looking pretty good.

I also disqualify Williams from the "best PG" discussion, because he didn't make it through a full year for us. But, he was obviously as good as it gets IMHO.

I would go Calathes, Green, Wilbekin in order. And, I think Hill could be knocking on the door by the end of the season. I might put Nelson over Green when Nelson was at his best, but he regressed so much (and so oddly) in his last couple of seasons.

If we consider pre-Donovan, I put Dan Cross right up there with Green. Both were very steady.
  20. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,034
    and my award for Most Underrated: Eddie Shannon