I'll take Scottie

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFreak, Nov 25, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,198

Add in Walker and the still-alive possibility of Harris and Billy has choices out the ying-yang. A great place for the program to be.
  2. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I have no clue who will start when we're at full strength or what lineup we'll go with at the end of games.

I suspect that Young, Wilbekin, and Prather will all continue to start. Not sure about the other two spots. I like Yeguete as the energy guy off the bench, and our spacing is much better with DFS and Young on the court at the same time, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Yeguete keeps his starting spot. The other guard spot should be up in the air as well. Frazier is by far our best shooter and our most natural SG. Hill is our best penetrator and pace-pusher.

I think Wilbekin and Hill will play together a bunch, but I'm not sure if they'll start together. It's certainly possible, though.

For now, I'll predict:

Wilbekin
    Frazier
    Prather
    DFS
    Young

with Hill and Yeguete both playing 20+ minutes off the bench, and the two Walkers, Kurtz, and hopefully eventually Harris playing 10+ minutes.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    Sounds about right, though I would be shocked if Kurtz gets much playing time should Chris Walker gets eligible outside of extreme foul trouble. He has been great in the non-conference portion as a fourth big after Young, Yeguete, and DFS, but the scouting reports in conference games get much more detailed and teams can pick at weak links more easily.
  4. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I just got to see the last 10 minutes of last night's game, but that was more than enough to see how much Scottie positively impacts the team.

Our offense just flowed so well with him initiating it and having that extra shooter on the floor makes a huge difference.

It's going to be a fun season with a great mix of young talent and experienced leadership on the floor together.
  5. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Wilkebin will have a long career in the NBA as long as he keeps out of trouble. Steady defensive minded PG's are very valuable.
  6. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    Didn't we have Wilbekin with another real PG on the roster two years ago? :)

I'm just kidding with you....couldn't pass up the opportunity though
  7. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403

Last time we had that problem, we went to the Final game. A bit too young to win it but this team has the perfect blend of youth and experience.
  8. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +369
    I'd say that Hill, when he returns, will start when we run a three-guard lineup, and come off the bench when we have a big line-up.
  9. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    My guess is that if Billy D can actually get a healthy and complete team on the floor, that he will be experimenting with rotations in all but the closest games in an attempt to see who plays best with whom and against what.

It is very nice to have options, but that can also be confusing regarding what to do when.
  10. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    He has improved every year too.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    The problem is that Prather's play lately means you just can't take him out of the starting lineup and slide Frazier down there. Regardless, our substitution patterns often include sending a big to the bench early, often after his first foul, so either DFS or Prather (when we shift him to the floor) could see time at the four in the first four minute segment. My personal preference would be for Yeguete to come off the bench because of his energy and also because he isn't at his best next to Young due to spacing issues offensively, but I know it is hard for Donovan to take such an experienced, hard working kid out of the starting lineup. What intrigued me the other night is that we brought Frazier off the bench and started Devon Walker instead of him.
  12. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    The key is Young, if he continues to show that he can catch and score like he has the last two weeks then he and Wil will play together, if not we can't have them both on the floor for long stretches unless it is all about defense

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. KAGator67

KAGator67 Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    After seeing him play in the FSU game you can have him. ... He'd better pick it up... free throws?? drives when not appropriate .. and honestly is he really the best player to take the last shot of the game???
  14. UFish

UFish Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    His decision making down the stretch really dropped off. No complaints about the first 38 minutes though.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    You can't be serious. The dude played 38 minutes against a great defensive team, he had eight assists against two turnovers, five steals, absolutely shut down whoever he was guarding (Bookert had two points and zero assists, while Miller got shut out from the field in the first half), and outside of Prather (who is not a threat to shoot or pass), he is the only one who could get his shot off the bounce tonight. He had no legs by the end of the night, which accounts for the missed free throws, and there was no space in the paint for him to get his runner off tonight because we were playing not scorers like Yeguete and Kurtz in the post.
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. jmoliver

jmoliver Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    Can't go 2 for 12 at the point and under 50% at the Ft line.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,821
    He didn't: he went 3-5 from the foul line.
  18. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    We need Hill back in a big way. Scottie is getting barely any rest the last two games.
  19. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    He played very poorly in the last couple of minutes. I could tell he wasn't with it when he had that terrible turnover and then followed up with two bricks at the line. He seems to go into a funk at the worst times. Thankfully, others picked it up and won this for us.

When Kasey Hill gets back, we'll have some more depth there and Billy can bench him from time to time when he forgets what got him to this point.
  20. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Those two misses almost cost us the game. I could tell from his body language that he was going to brick them both. For some unknown reason, he has these lapses. I think he just loses his focus at the worst time. He has to get better at embracing these moments, that's all.