I'll get killed for this....3 reasons JF needs to extend Will's contract:

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 29, 2013.

1. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Barring a miracle this year will be a total disaster.
  2. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    I will go with this. Show some progress. Act like you give a $*&^. Bring back the fighting Gators. Out smart the other teams. Bring back the big game changing plays. Play with some pride. I don't want to hear "our team is not very good" anymore.
  3. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    It is all Meyer's fault. It is everything but Muschamp's fault. We're lucky to be 4-3. We should be Oh-fer but thank god he's coaching us up like he is.
  4. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439
    Not really a good comparison.

1) Our basketball program was mediocre at best when Billy Donovan was hired. Florida is known as one of the football powerhouse programs. 2 completely different sets of expectations comes from those 2 things.

2) Florida made the Sweet 16 in Billy Donovan's 3rd year and the National Championship game in year 4. Yes it took longer to win the title but, as we know, having to play 6 tournament games to win the title is a tough thing to do.

Comparing what Billy Donovan has done with our basketball program to what is going on with Muschamp and the football program really isn't a good idea. It is apples and oranges. Also, Coach Donovan's job was never in question leading up to the national title teams.
  5. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    tilly,

Foley has made it abundantly clear that he is behind Muschamp. I don't think there's much else that needs to be done. If we truly have the right guy for the job, it's all going to work out.

I don't even think beating Georgia on Saturday is something that Muschamp "needs" to keep the support of those who are in his corner. I'll be pretty upset if we lose that game, but next Saturday is not going to be the defining moment of Will's career.

He has all the support and resources he needs. Actually, what he might need is simply time.
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,239
    This is how I feel too. I am just talking about the pressure and perceptions that are building.
  7. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,239
    Your still missing the point, that you missed the point of this thread completely.
  8. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,239
    1.) Billy took over a final four program.
    2.) Will made a BCS Bowl in year two.
    3.) People were questioning if Billy had peaked in 2000. It was happening on NBN.

My point is that patience here, may indeed land us the next great coach in our athletic program.
  9. hd80dun

hd80dun New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Are you drunk? This thread is saying we should add years to Muschamp's contract.
  10. 1gatorbear

1gatorbear Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    To give him a token year is condoning losing. Next year is his last at uf.
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +727
    Billy took over a program that went 12-16 the year before.

I understand advocating patience, the issue is that we have a top 3 football program, so it's understandable that people don't want to wait too long. The issue to me is if you think the 11-2 season is indicative of the success WM will have here.

On the flip side, our bball program was no where near the same level as our current football program, so giving Billy D more time made all the sense in the world.
  12. newmexicogator

newmexicogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I have tried to reason the decision myself and the only thing I could come up was that Foley could have the itch to be known as the guy 'with a magic touch' in hiring 'diamond in the rough' coaches. Granted WM was HCIW at Texas, but he was not a proven HC at a D-1 football program. Frankly, Foley should take some of the heat here.
  13. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,587
    To add to that: isn't Vandy playing with a back up qb as well?
  14. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Muschamp hasn't been fired yet but one really has to scratch their head when looking at Zook & Muschamp. It is odd how alike the hires are in retrospect. Meyer was a home run that ended awfully. Spurrier was Bill's hire. Foley is one of the best in the college athletics without a doubt but I am at a loss to explain 2/3 football hires he has made.
  15. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +6,239
    Cmon, Muschamp is a much better coach than RZ...and I liked the zooker...just not after a certain trip to Mississippi.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  16. whitelakegator

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Maybe defensively but there's no way you can say Mus is better on offense. Not even close even with the bubble screens(lol). Their records will be similar at the end of the the three years. In both cases the team wasn't getting better and that what concerns me.
  17. operamac

operamac Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    I would like to point out that it has taken Jimbo how long to get FSU up to something resembling what they used to have? How many awful games... mediocre to crappy seasons? Seeming ineptness?

There is a lot that isn't right at Florida right now, but it has a lot less to do with the coaching staff than so many of you would like to think.

Just keep your panties on and chill out. This will get where it needs to go if we let Muschamp have the time to really get some continuity going and bring in more consistent talent that actually sticks around.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,398
    Muschamp didn't take over a top three program... He took over a broken program... in the words of the guy responsible for two NCs, and for breaking the program.

He deserves time to fix it.
  19. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    To answer your first question: no , but some posters on here may be challenged in the logic department. The more posters continue to make WM's standing with JF an issue, the BIGGER an issue it becomes. Get it? Probably not, so the lemmings will continue debating the issue -- don't forget that recruits and players read this stuff.
  20. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    if they add years to muschamp's deal, shouldn't it be more than one year? if not, recruits may not think he will be around long.