If you're Jeremy Foley....

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    And why in the Hell is that?
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    Did you really just quote me twice as as referring to "ad homineum attacks," even though in the original post I accurately conjugated the Latin using the accusative (which is taken with the preposition "ad", as in motion toward)? Did you never watch Life of Brian?

Whatever the case, your account of Foley retaining Muschamp is not only flawed, but misses the point: if we had a preferable option available, we had every reason to replace Muschamp given last season. Yet we didn't. You attribute that to arrogance on Foley's part (which is the definition of an "ad homineum attack") when in fact it is far more likely that he didn't have a candidate ready and willing to take the position who would represent a substantial improvement over Muschamp. I know that is hard for some critics to believe, but it actually is likely.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I don't think Muschamp is an idiot at all. Do you? The man has pocketed enough money to make a future generation idle and after he receives all guaranteed amounts, he probably has 3 generations set up. He is NO idiot. I would name coaches I would like but according to you 1 of the 5 richest schools in America does not have the resources or appeal to attract them. If you really believe Meyer left because of criticism, I should be asking you how much you follow college football. The reason Spurrier left Florida seems to be well known even in South Carolina. I'm sure you know about the suite at the Orange Bowl.
  4. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    ... I bring in Spurrier as HBC/OC, let WM keep his salary as HCIW/DC and tell him to learn ALL he can from the OBC re. offense and being a CEO. I bet Spurrier would do it as much as he loves the Gators. Screw Machen, he has resigned and is a lame duck. Foley and Spurrier are still friends.
  5. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Brilliant!!!...?
  6. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    Good post, Oak. One of my fears is that we're going to become the new-clemson: beat people that we're not suppose to and lose annually to a team or two that we have no business losing to.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    love your quote at the bottom...that's the truth!
  8. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,758

Props to rsenia, especially for the use of the word "conjugated". ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,758

My friend, we already are that team, except we're probably not going to be beating people we have no business beating either. lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    oh how the mighty have fallen
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +245
    JF better hope to heaven WM wins or he will be looking for a new job. Moral victories and participation trophies (director's cup) should not be celebrated. SEC/NC s. are what increase $.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    My concern is this downward trajectory continues for a few more years. At that point, attracting top notch coaches will not be the foregone conclusion that so many think.

Everything that Spurrier and Meyer built can disappear over time. That name on the shirt doesn't guarantee anything.
  13. SoonerGator

SoonerGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    If I'm Foley I...

Get more involved in the search and hiring process for the OC position as Muschamp has absolutely whiffed on the previous 2 hires to the point where if I am Foley, I now question his ability to evaluate and manage assistant coaches. Which brings in questions about the rest of the assistants he has hired - if he's mis-evaluated the OC position which is arguably the next most important position for the program (because we have a defensive minded head coach) - and he has done so to the inept and miserable degree he has, if I am Foley, I would have some serious reservations about allowing him to make the OC hire on his own and would have to step in and guide the process for the betterment of the program - forget the appearance of being a micro-manager, if I'm Foley, I know the stakes are too high to sit back and allow another inept stumblefest of a hire for OC!

For those saying that Foley needs to allow Muschamp to pay a top notch OC etc... He already has - Charlie was making $1 Mil+ to the best of my recollection - so I don't think that's an issue.
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,029
    While I agree with your closing that we aren't guaranteed anything, I don't see the concern on downward trajectory. Muschamp is building the roster pretty well from what I can tell. If he really can't coach successfully, Foley will axe him and bring in another guy who inherits a strong roster, in a fertile recruiting ground.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    If JF does this it compromises his statement that he made earlier about being behind WM 1000%. He loses credibility and it gives WM an excuse if the 2014 season goes South. In addition, if JF does do what you said and the season still goes South, it also further brings up the questioning of his ability to evaluate talent..and at this present time that is a luxury that he is not afforded.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    I hardly think the two hires were "whiffs." In retrospect, Weis was, but it had more to do with chemistry amongst coaches and his own type-A personality than it did with his play calling. Weis has a great reputation as a play caller. With Pease, his goal was to bring in a system and that system was effective enough to make us a competitor in 2012 despite having a new system, new starting quarterback, no playmaking receivers, and a line that was a sieve the previous season. All of the Boise stuff (pre-snap alignment shifts, jumbo packages, unbalanced lines, player-specific designs, etc.) helped turn Gillislee into a thousand-yard rusher while working around a very young, inexperienced, and raw quarterback. This past season, Pease did a great job with Murphy until he got hurt and the season went south. I know the rabble looks at the poor offensive statistics the last two years and thinks that reflects the job Pease did, but that is entirely unfair. He had some real adverse dynamics and those hurt his ability to succeed, even if he did a poor job at times overcoming some of those factors.

At any rate, claiming Muschamp shouldn't choose his own offensive coordinator because of Weis and Pease is like saying someone shouldn't marry because he had two failed relationships in the past. It happens, but sometimes there are reasons why it happens beyond the simple choice of coordinator. Spurrier hardly struck gold with Bates, Zook, Pruett, and Hoke. Same for Meyer with Addazio, Edwards, and Austin. Saban had Applewhite.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,758

Foley still has the opportunity to back-track and fire Muschamp go after someone like Bobby Petrino, who would jump on this job in a heartbeat. I can't believe his ego is this enormous.

He will have to eat crow to Gator Nation but they will soon forget when we start winning football games again.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    Petrino. Right. This job isn't the only thing he would apparently jump on in a heartbeat.

This stuff is just silly. It is ego to stick with a guy who won league coach of the year the previous season and was down to his third string quarterback the following year, while losing the top three tackles, starting running back, et al, this season. I guess if you don't want to take the time to understand someone's thought process, the easiest thing to do is make unsubstantiated character judgments.
  19. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +615
    To go along with what you're saying, I'd point to USC and who they just hired. Who over there is actually excited about the Sarkisian hire? Saban has made it clear that he's not going to Texas, a job considered to be the best and most attractive in all of college football. It looks like Fisher is a legitimate candidate to take that job, but I think time will reveal that Jameis Winston has been the main factor in making a good head coach look great, similarly to what Malzahn and Newton did for Gene Chizik; although Fisher is a better coach than Gene Chizik.

The best Nebraska could do was Bo Pelini. How is that working out for the Huskers? Tennessee hired Butch Jones. How many big names have turned some of those once-proud programs down along the way?

Guys like Saban and Meyer don't grow on trees. You can't just throw money at a rough situation and expect success to follow. It takes getting the right guy in place, and I truly believe Foley felt that retaining Muschamp was the right decision. Time will tell.
  20. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +907
    If I am Foley I will keep a close eye out on other coaches in case WM needs to be fired next season. I will also hire a good OC that I will be in charge of approving, not Muschamp. Also I will not lower the program's standards.