If you're Jeremy Foley....

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 20, 2013.

1. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    I'm basically getting a full year again to have a solid plan ready and in place.......if/when needed. I would put together a 'short list' that had more than one name on it (unlike last time), probably 4-5 guys. Then I would start scouting them from afar now and much closer when the season starts. I'm ready and prepared no matter what happens next season.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Tampa Bay Bandit, Great answer. Jeremy Foley at this point in time believes himself to be THE MAN!!! He has been told he is THE MAN so why would he not believe it. He has an agenda that has befuddled football people all over the country. I would say there is not one man/woman who has a forum about college football that was not shocked by Muschamp's retention. Well, Holtz would have not been surprised because he would not have terminated the President of Lehman Brothers. Since Foley is THE MAN he will do whatever he wants, he will have no doubts, he will have an ultra private agenda, he will do his best to improve every facility--with one glaring exception--, he will display a high level of arrogance and entitlement, he will let you know He Does Not Care what you think. He will be himself and the ONE sport we all care about will suffer because of it.
    • Boring Boring x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,993
    Or maybe he really believes Muschamp can turn this around, and become a great long term coach for us.

Just a thought.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. TWGator

TWGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I'll bite: How much practice time do we lose because of bad weather? I'll admit I have no idea - how much is it?
  5. G8tr69

G8tr69 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Grow his hair out to be like Will Yeguete's :p

upload_2013-12-20_12-57-1.png
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Actually, I agree with you. The lack of an indoor practice facility hurts us in recruiting as well as preparing for the next game in bad weather. With our resources we should have a terrific indoor facility! Let's get the Bull Gators organized to make this happen!
  7. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    The narrative around this program has to change for the better. It's more than just wins and losses, its how things look.

The coach can't look like Sad Sack (yes, the cartoon character) on the sidelines, staring at the ground and chewing everyone out that makes mistakes that he can't seem to coach them up from. There needs to be confidence and aggressiveness (not just on defense) emanating from the coaching staff and team. The team needs to be the type that unsettles opponents, makes them uncomfortable. The stale predictability has to go away, in all phases.

If that happens, and we go 8-4 and scare the living hell out of a couple of teams that are supposed to beat us (such as Bama), I would keep him.

If things don't look any different and record is modestly better, than its bye bye. There is no need to see any more. If I'm Foley, I want change and I make that very clear.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +279
    Muschamp needs to win the games were supposed to...and spring an upset

His first year he didn't beat anybody he couldn't have from coaching on his sofa

2nd year won several games I thought we'd lose

3rd year in spite of the injuries we lost 3 games we should've won Miami, Vandy and Ga South and didn't beat anybody we werent supposed to

This would mean 10-2 next season...maybe 11-1
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,993
    I agree with this generally. We should win all the ones we're supposed to win, and spring at least one upset. But the schedule next year is brutal... probably seven top 25 teams and four to five top 10 teams.

If we had Ohio State's schedule, I'd say absolutely no more than 1 loss. But with our schedule, while I think it's possible we only lose 1 or 2 games, I don't think it's realistic.

Given the schedule I think 9-3 is a good target for what Champ needs to accomplish to keep his job. That means we beat four top 25 teams including one or two top 10 teams. Most teams who do that in a year have gone undefeated or no more than one loss and they're in the running for the national championship. Heck, reFSU didn't do that much, did they?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    He should publicly and privately show his full support to WM and the program, just like he does for any other coach and sport. I'm sure he will have in mind objectives and goals for WM and the program overall, and not just wins and losses, and the coach will be evaluated based on that at the end of the year. If Will is going to be a long term coach, then the overall direction of the program will need to show it has a solid foundation to build on for success.
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,747
    If Foley retains Muschamp after just an 8 win effort next year, which would also mean no SEC East Title and a minor bowl game, then rest assured, Foley has assured himself of future seasons no better than that.

No less than 10 wins and a trip to Atlanta or Muschamp should be canned, period.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    I think it is a good question. Foley, as I understand it, is not afraid to give the hook to a coach underperforming, but only when there is a clear cut, better answer out there. He did that with the past two baseball coaches, he did that with Zook, and he would be willing to do that with Muschamp. The key proviso, of course, is that he wants to have a successor chosen. At this level, few ADs fire coaches and then have open interviews. They almost always have a target in mind, or at least a very small circle of candidates that they think would be marked improvements and are likely to take the job.

So my impression of Foley's strategy would be this: he will come into the season with an open mind, not a preconceived number of wins necessary for Muschamp to retain his position, and then keep an eye on what happens elsewhere. He will want to see what guys like Cary at NIU, Andersen at Wisconsin, Kngsbury at TT, Graham at ASU, among others are doing and whether or not they merit consideration. But he won't can Muschamp just because he fails to get to a certain win mark or not. That would potentially leave you with change for the sake of change, which I would argue is devastating at the collegiate level because of the turnover it requires on the roster. Unless there is a great degree of continuity between the personnel under the previous regime and the personnel under a new one, it takes 2-3 recruiting classes to recover (and that could take upwards of 3-4 years to get the desired results).

Foley wants to do what is in the best interests of the program and that may not entail a coaching change just to appease fan criticisms, because if success doesn't forestall those criticisms (like Meyer's tenure, or even Muschamp's 2012 season), then you really can't make decisions based upon something so tenuous. You have to look at the bigger picture in those sorts of situations. It also means that, even if Muschamp were to do a bang up job getting the team turned around and could meet some arbitrary number of wins conceived before the start of the season, Foley could still make a move should there be someone more promising out there.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    With, essentially, no reliable QB, it will be shocking if WM turns this cluster flap around.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    But why assert that when you can belittle Foley with ad hominem attacks? Seems so much more reasonable.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +640
    Essentially none. They will move practice up or back to avoid possible lightning issues based on radar, etc. But they pretty much get in the maximum allowable time every week. It's a non factor.
  16. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Ad homineum attacks", it must be brutal for an AD to face criticism after keeping a Head Coach who loses to Vandy for first time at home since WW Two, loses 3 in a row to Georgia, gets smacked down by FSU at home, loses to GEORGIA SOUTHERN and all the while the manages to defeat a bad Toledo team, and win 3 conference games against teams that were a combined 2-22 in the SEC. Why do I just know that the AD and Head Football Coach at Florida are treated with significantly more patience and unrequited support by FANaticS than are people composing the rest of the 99.99999999% population. I have finally grasped the almost FANatic devotion that accrues to individuals associated with athletic teams at our alma maters but it doesn't make it anymore easy to comprehend. I would say at leat 90% of the people on these forums wanted Muschamp gone at the end of the season--or earlier. An almost unanimously incredulous football nation looked on as Muschamp stayed. At that point we witnessed a seismic shift in opinion, the wagons were circled and miraculously it was deemed appropriate to offer unadulterated allegiance to the guy who made the decision for Muschamp to stay. Does anyone find this a little strange? Even if the AD had proffered a tangible reason for not making a move that would have been fine,however, when you don't make a move and then compound it with no explanation to a suffering fan base--well, that is a little bizarre. At least it would be bizarre for the way any other revenue producing making entity in America does business. You laud the AD and protect him from "ad homineum attacks" but I believe the Big Guy better hope he is right because nobody cares that much about lacross and soccer(not counting parents, friends and relatives) and people ain't tolerating another year of whatever this was.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Boring Boring x 1
  17. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    By the way, why does one of the 5 richest schools in America find it so difficult NOT to have A right man waiting? Doesn't need to be the all encompassing "THE" right man but it should not be such a struggle for such a powerful entity to NOT behave as if it is Wake Forest. We had the one crisscrossing junket across the country to Norman and Denver and back to Zookville and then we had the GREAT hire and then we had the head scratching appointment of another assistant coach. I don't believe in people calling themselves THE Ohio State University or THE "U" but for God's sakes aren't we the University of Florida, The Flagship School in the State?? The next time can we act like it??
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Breece1, you just never let up.

I don't want you to think I am drawing a direct comparison, but in my youth I worked with mules; and actually had a pet donkey for awhile.

One thing I learned, Jackasses have to bray; whether they have anything meaningful to say or not; just part of their jackassy DNA.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    You know, I can picture you with a pet donkey. I'm impressed you spelled "DNA" correctly.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,987
    Seriously, do you follow college football much? Do you realize how comparable most coaches actually are? While for you Muschamp seems like an idiot, odds are his replacement would get the same treatment from many others. Heck, Meyer was railed on repeatedly during his time here as incompetent and the guy will go in the college football Hall of Fame one day. The reality is that the difference between Muschamp and many of the other coaches you so desperately want (but can't seem to name) is much less than you think it is.

And for all of your chest beating about us being Florida, remember that two future Hall of Fame collegiate coaches walked away from us. Not one, but two. Maybe we aren't as appealing as we think we are.
    • Winner Winner x 2