If you're Jeremy Foley....

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by MyakkaGator, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    If you're Jeremy Foley, what approach do you take with rspect to this this upcoming football season? Please let me mke the disclaimer that this is NOT a bashing thread. I would like to hear some insightful answers because I believe the majority of this forum to be insightful, intelligent posters. Having got all the formalities out of the way, what say you?
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,846
    What do you mean by approach? Jeremy Foley isn't exactly a football coaching expert - the man needs to evaluate HCs and let them have their show and if they aren't working out move on.

JF micromanaging is even worse than a head coach micromanaging.

That said, he could relax some restrictions with regard to tickets and admission ... facilitate a return to a better gameday atmosphere.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    1)Please lower ticket prices some to give fans a little bit of relief.

2) Find ways to enhance the gameday experience to entice fans to come out in person instead of staying at home and watching the game on TV.

3) Make sure Muschamp is able to hire the BEST OC and O-line coach available because that is going to play heavy in the success of this program in the near future.

4) Have James Franklin, Todd Graham, Bobby Petrino, Tim Deruyter, and Bill O'Brien on speed dial if things don't get better next season.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392
    Start raising the buyout money.
    Any loss in first three games...call Fedora STAT.
    Loss to Alabama...call your guy into the office and say that's the last L you'll accept this season.
    Contingencies to include Joker as interim HC should be considered.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  5. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,332
    I think the primary goal will be to stop the perceived slide of the program. Three subpar seasons out of the last 4 and UF's first losing record in over 30 years in the previous season should all be concerning for the AD of a major sports program (particularly one with a consistent track record of success over the last 30 years).

This offseason will be an important indicator for how next season will go in a number of ways:

1) Foley's publicly backed Muschamp...but will he give him the $$ to recruit top-quality assistants on the offensive side of the ball? Foley has the power to back his public words with firm actions--we'll see what happens when the hires are announced. IMO, an underwhelming hire could be a pretty strong indicator that Muschamp is on a short leash and will have to win/lose next season on his own, despite Foley's public backing.

2.) Recruiting class. Does Muschamp bring in a strong, top-5 recruiting class after this disaster season? He's always been a good recruiter (yet has missed on some high-profile guys on the offensive side of the ball in the past), but that will be tested this offseason. Muschamp needs to hit several homeruns with this recruiting class. Guys who come in and contribute immediately.

3.) Injuries. I know this one is largely out of Muschamp's hands and there's no question the injury crisis reached epic proportions this season. But rightly or wrongly, fans associate the coaching staff with the injuries since they happened on their watch and there wasn't good backup plans in place. If a high-profile player goes down this spring or summer, fans will start questioning Muschamp and the coaching staff (how they're practicing, what they're doing to cause these injuries, etc)--and that will lead to a cloud of negativity from the get-go.

How these questions get answered over the coming few months will greatly factor in how the 2014 Gators take the field to start the season. If I'm Foley, Muschamp needs to show some immediate improvement in 2014, otherwise the overall negativity in the program will be too much for the head coach to overcome.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    Very insightful and well thought out gatorev. I'll keep my opinion short. Foley is going to closely monitor next season and fair or not, Muschamp will most likely be graded on the final product, i.e. W's and L's. I imagine there is a line in the sand that only Foley knows and if Muschamp doesn't meet that target, adios amigo.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    Good answer...maybe i should've said what mindset does he approach this up coming football season with.
  8. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    I believe this is priority number 1...you hit the nail on the head with #3..great job!
  9. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,737
    All vey good stuff, kev but #1 there's something else to keep in mind: Eventhough JF's record as an AD as a whole is excellent to say the least, I believe he is aware that his football hires are going to be his legacy at Florida. so in a sense the OC & OL hires are in some ways just as huge for him as they are WM.
  10. AlEGator7

AlEGator7 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I think it depends on the way the offense performs. If we go 8-4 with a vastly improved offense, I think Muschamp stays. If we go out and perform the way we have the last few seasons on the offensive side of the ball, then he is gone. I think it is more of a feeling than a hard number.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. palmbayed

palmbayed Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I know this is going to get me killed on here and I really don't want to hear why we can't do it but UF really needs a indoor practice facility, I don't think people have any idea how much practice time the Gators lose b/c of bad weather. It is beyond belief that w/ the money UF has, it hasn't been built and if it helps sway 1 or 2 recruits every year, its well worth it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. keypox

keypox Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +116
    I've been feeling out coaches since musch was hired, hoping that the big risk pays off but always having a backup plan in place. I wasn't happy with the candidates that wanted the job for this coming season, so I backed current coach to increase confidence in the program.

My plans are in the works to get rid of musch, and make a splash of a hire.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,287

If we only win 8 games, Muschamp should be gone. No less than 10 wins and an SEc East Title IMO.

2014 was supposed to be the year we had a senior QB, established offense and defense systems, and a serious SEC and NC run. Foley wanted to back Muschamp so Muschamp needs to put up the numbers or be fired.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    I'd have a list of coaches that are willing to take the job and keep in touch with them during the season. If we lose to Alabama and Tennessee, promote Joker to interim HC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,409
    I think 9 wins keeps his job as long as the losses are competitive, simply because we hit another brutal schedule... looks like we'll face seven top 25 teams and four to five top 10 teams. It's really tough to compare our record to other schools, because almost nobody finishing in the top 10 plays that kind of schedule.
  16. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,409
    To the point of the OP, Foley should definitely have a short list ready with coaches who have serious interest.

Having Joker available as interim HC is a smart move too.
  17. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,009
    I look for 8-4 or better w/ a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the O side of the ball.

Otherwise, I have my "short list" handy.
  18. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +789
    1. JF needs to have a list of potential hc's on hand, a pecking order.
    2. What he does depends on what the team does.
    3. I think and 8-4 season he retains wm, 7-5 wm on the fence, 6-6 wm is gone.
    4. I don't think JF emptys the bank on assts. A bad year and uf is paying buyouts to wm and to prospective coaches.
    5. I'm not sure lowering prices will happen, unless the product on the field improves who wants to spend anything to watch it and end up miserable?
    6. I think JF needs to ask WM about injury issues. Was this just a fluke year or is the S&C program involved. Do other teams do exactly what we do with this type of training? Do we do anything practice wise that increases the liklihood of injuries? That meaning injuries has to be addressed.
  19. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    If I'm Jeremy Foley of if Jeremy Foley is Jeremy Foley?

If I'm Jeremy Foley, I don't know what to do. I hope WM makes a big gaffe or two in the next two weeks to give me cause to fire him without looking like I'm the kind of guy who goes back on his word. Then I hire a coaching search group to help identify leading candidates who are current head coaches, and make an offensive-minded hire.

But if Jeremy Foley is Jeremy Foley, I think he has to look at the books and hope that the SEC money can offset any other loss of revenue from ticket sales, booster contribution and apparel sales. I think he has to keep focused on the bigger picture, which is the athletic program is in fine-ish shape. He can't tell WM what to do football-wise -- how to run his offense or his team, because that's just assholery. He can't dictate the assistants, because that creates divisiveness within the staff. And I try to focus boosters on things other than football, like their overall pride in the university. So I do those things to divert attention from the football field. And then I use the phrase shows improvement a lot when asked.

And after the season, Jeremy Foley doesn't fire WM regardless of next season's record, especially if it's .500 or better. That's what Jeremy Foley does. Me, I'd do it different, but I'm just a guy on a message board.
  20. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382
    I'm pretty much on middle ground when it comes to the Muschamp issue, but Mushcamp is gone if we go 7-5. Next year is supposed to be our year. If I'm Foley, he's pretty much gone if we go worse than 9-3 (barring weird circumstances).
    • Agree Agree x 1