If you were born in the 40's, 50's or early 60's do you

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by kurt_borglum, Jul 27, 2014.

1. kurt_borglum

kurt_borglum VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Remember when TV's took 3 minutes to warm up?
    upload_2014-7-27_9-26-14.png

You got your oil checked and windshield cleaned for free and you never pumped your own gas?
    upload_2014-7-27_9-27-37.png

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger

upload_2014-7-27_9-29-34.png

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

upload_2014-7-27_9-30-9.png

And our summers were filled with bike rides, Hula Hoops, and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

upload_2014-7-27_9-30-50.png

How Many Of These Do You Remember??
    Candy cigarettes...

upload_2014-7-27_9-31-30.png

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum...
    upload_2014-7-27_9-32-2.png

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a
    motorcycle?

upload_2014-7-27_9-33-12.png

Taking drugs meant orange flavored chewable aspirin?
    upload_2014-7-27_9-33-48.png

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,893
    You forgot the biggest one for the TV (my generation's attempt at the Walked 5 Miles to School, Uphill in Foot Deep Snow rant): you had to GET UP OUT OF YOUR SEAT to change the channel (all THREE of them) or the volume!

I had to walk 5 miles, uphill, in...

Aw hell, I had it pretty good compared to my ancestors.

And as an aside, there seems to be some strong ideas that the reason why there are so many food allergies today is because kids don't eat enough bad stuff (read dirt and what's in it) in their early years for their bodies to get ready for future onslaughts.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    That certainly is how some of it was, Kurt.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    The day we got UHF and VHF channels for the first time. Doubling the channels to six or seven...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. rebekah

rebekah Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    The day we got a tv!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,470
    one of my sisters is 6 years older than me-she came home for Thanksgiving in my soph year of high school(I was 15) and brought her college roommate- by the time they left Sunday morning that roommate had turned me inside out- my fondest memory of the late 1960's
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,692
    I don't remember the day we got a tv in out home but I do remember the first tv i saw, it was in my Grandfather's house, the size of a 2 drawer file cabinet with a screen no more than 4'' x 4'' it had a huge curved lens that was held in fron of the screen with a woven cord. would have been 1949/50. we lived in Schenectady NY, home of a major GE plant so tv was available earlier than most of the rest of the US. Been addicted ever since :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,118
    Always had a black & white. The big deal from my memory was our first color TV. Big Sears console TV. It think it set Dad back about $600 in 1968. The installer had to wave a circular wand around the front and side to "degauss" it.

First time the NBC peacock came on before a show I was stunned.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    Kids born in the the early 70s remember all of these except for TVs taking 4 minutes to warm up and Blackjack, Clove, and Teaberry gum.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    The big deal with TV when I was a kid was getting cable. I don't remember exactly, but our first cable tv box looked something like this:

[​IMG]

Mostly I remember that sliding switch...and 40 channels!!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,470
    had one of these in the early 80's
  12. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,821
    "War Baby" here. You don't even hear that anymore.

And TV stations signed off at about midnight and came back on at about. 6:00 A.M. Turned off TV took about a minute for it to go off. Picture slowly, slowly got smaller until there was just a little white dot on the screen. Never heard of a remote.

Very, very few stores were open on Sundays. Drive to downtown Miami on a Sunday and you might see about 3 other cars.

Great programs were on the radio! My favorite as a little kid in the late 40s and early 50s was The Lone Ranger! On radio station WQAM 530 in Miami at 7:30 P.M. 3 times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. 30 minutes. When it was over it was lights out. Bed time.

The only A/C I knew someone had was good friends of my Mom and Dad, Swain Higgins and his wife. He was the park manager of Matheson Hammock. They had a 2 story park residence made out of coral rock. It was beautiful. Park gates closed at 8:00 P.M. so if we had dinner at their place in the evening, Swain would have to open the gates to Matheson
    Hammock so we would be able to leave. Remember when the Higgins bought their new 1954 Cadillac. That car had A/C! That was the first car with A/C my family rode in.

My Mom spent a lot of time in the kitchen fixing meals. Dinners were awesome. She made the best cherry pies! She was good
    with a roller pin! Made great
    chocolate cakes. No, she never had to look at recipe book or use a cake mix box. She knew how to make them. Never even thought there would be anything like a McDonald's. The only kind of a take out was walking up to one of the 2 window counters at a Dairy Queen. Loved the hot fudge sundaes! I didn't want the small one for 25 cents. I wanted the big one for 35 cents! Then it went to 45 cents! Dad said that was too expensive! When I was 11 I got my Miami Daily News paper route so I had my own money and could the 60 cents hot fudge sundae! :)

You had great full service at a gas station! A young guy would run out and fill up your tank or my Dad would often say "I want two dollars please." And the kid would check your oil, check the air in your tires. And finally clean your windshield off. I think it was about 1960 when it became legal to allow "self serve". It was very controversial! Very! It wasn't safe to just let anyone to be handling gas to put in a car.

And the 50s were a fun time in the late Fall when the new cars came out! Cars were great and beautiful then! You could tell back then what make a car was, what year it was, lots of colors (about 25 to 30) and 2 tones and Buick came out with 3 tones in 1955! Now cars all have skinny, skinny windows on the sides! They all look alike. You can get about 4 colors. Black, white, gray, tan, maybe a red. One year looks the same again. Boring. No big deal when they come out.

It was a big celebration in the 50s when the new cars came out! I remember when the beautiful
    1955 Buick came out on Nov. 4, 1954. Easy to remember because Buick was a sponsor of Milton Berle's popular TV show on Monday nights at 8:00 PM. They had like a countdown going each week on his black and white TV show. Buick and all dealers of any makes would close their showrooms down about a week or so before the new car date. They would fog up the windows in their showrooms so when they were getting the new cars in you couldn't see them yet until the official dates.

And cars had theme songs and slogans etc. Popular ones were "See the USA in your Chevrolet!"
    "In my merry Oldsmobile, won't you come with me Lucille, in my Rocket 88....."
    "How I love to drive my Buick.......driving down the road on Sunday with my Buick, my love and I."
    Buick commercials on TV had a picture of Milton Berle driving a Buick Roadmaster Convertible with that song being played in the background. People in Miami loved it because the TV took commercial film of Milton Berle driving the Buick convertible over the new Rickenbacker Causeway going over to Key Biscayne.
    The new TBird was a big success for Ford in the 50s. I remember this little tune being sung on the radio,
    "Is it you I see in your 56 Ford, riding with your head high. Is it Thunderbird styling, is it Thunderbird power that puts that gleam in your eye!"
    New cars in the 50s usually would come out in very late October or the first week of November. Well, in 1956 Ford wanted to get the jump on their competition on the new 1957s so I remember this little short tune,
    "The kissin' cousin of the Thunderbird arrives September twenty third."
    The 57 Chevys were very popular. I remember the billboards around Miami that had a picture of a 57 Chevrolet BelAire Convertible with this big slogan posted above the car,
    Sweet, Smooth and Sassy! :)
    "It's Pontiac! Dollar for Dollar for Dollar you can't beat a Pontiac!"
    And of course you would wonder how much bigger will the Cadillac fins be this year?

Well, a lot of good things to remember about the
    50s. Rock 'n roll and more.
    And one thing that comes to mind often at times the last few years is how much safer it was for children back then as it is now! It's amazing the things I could do as a kid back then, and by myself, that parents now wouldn't even consider letting their kids do. But that sure has changed. No doubt about it.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +11,470
    the cars in the 50's and 60-'s were land yachts-huge back seats

you are correct Ray when you say you cannot even tell the make of a car anymore unless you see the emblem-they all look alike

bell bottom trousers
    Zeta7
    the opening of Walt Disney World
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  14. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    Diving boards at swimming pools. Coaches at high school comparing their hand crafted paddles they will use often in the school year. The beaches were open all 24 hours and you could build a fire The new radio sound called FM. Missions to the moon done by slide rule. Mini Skirts. Double Knits. Disco vs. Disco sucks era.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +330
    I learned a bit of Spanish listening to Manolo Rejas on the radio before dawn. It was on right next to the farm report. WQAM was the pop station in those days.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    I as one of those guys pumping customers gas, adding air to the times and checking the oil. I would even get a quarter tip from one elderly man.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Go2gtr

Go2gtr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Remember when pistachio nuts were colored with red dye and came in a box with a guy in a turban on it. The box said they were from Afghanistan. Your finger tips and lips were all red after eating them.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. g8tr96

g8tr96 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +981
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jewood592

jewood592 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,536
    I was born in 71' and I can relate to all but 3 minutes for the tv to warm up and the cigarettes and gums. My first tv was a 19" black & white though. And our first microwave cost about $500:)
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,893
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1