If you like fast cars...

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by Speedofsand, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Mario Andretti is keynote speaker tomorrow for the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Induction Ceremony. This year’s inductee class includes drag racing car builder John Buttera; Indianapolis Motor Speedway founder Carl G. Fisher; record-setting pilot – and renowned billionaire – Howard Hughes; motorcycle great Fred Merkel; three-time Indianapolis 500 champion owner U.E. “Pat” Patrick; sports car legend Bob Tullius and Nascar driver Jeff Gordon.

Link: Motorsports Hall of Fame of America Induction - Daytona International Speedway

You can watch it live online. https://www.fanschoice.tv/

Fanschoice tv is also going to stream the motorcycle flat track TT from Daytona on Thursday, the Daytona 200 superbikes Saturday, and IMSA races from Sebring on Thurs/Fri.
  2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,548
    I stayed at Carl Fisher's house in the Hamptons. Fisher not only founded Indy 500, but developed Miami Beach eons ago. A true visionary. The late great IMSA driver Bob Aiken (Porsche prototypes etc) owned Fisher's house (make that mansion) on the tip of Montauk, NY north end of Hamptons. Big as in real big money up there.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    I just read a little about him. What a story his life is. Worth $100 Million and lost it all during the great depression. Ouch.
  4. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    My friend went to the Geneva Motor Show today & she posted some really nice pics but I can't share them.

So I found some here.
    Link: 88th Geneva International Motor Show

Hennessey Venom F5
    [​IMG]

McLaren Senna GTR
    [​IMG]

KOENIGSEGG - Regera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. PetrolGator

PetrolGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +306
    That Venom is preeeetty. I'm gonna see if my buddy got any good pictures from our last Cars and Coffee here in NOLA. I was planning to go until I noticed a neighborhood kid shot my CTS-V with a *#$)$ BB Gun. I'm still fighting with his dad over paying for the repairs.
  6. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    CTS-V is a badass car. Cadillac had about 40 of them at Daytona with some ATS-V coupes for a couple days. They spent the entire first day breaking them in, working the brakes, and the 2nd day was hot laps.

I had a great 3 days at Sebring. Plenty of good racing w/ Historics, Prototype Challenge, Continental, and Porsche GT3 Cup series leading up to the 12 Hours. Weather was perfect. St Patrick's day became St Patron day in the last hour.
    [​IMG]

I stopped at the Orlando kart center Sunday and met fellow Pub poster jrz1g8r and watched his son race. Find his thread here and vote for a fine young man to win a Champion Spark Plug contest. Its always nice to meet good people and fellow Gators.

I missed the Daytona 200 motorcycle race and the Gatornationals but will catch the highlights this week.
    The spring Turkey Rod Run car show and Spring Break Nationals car audio contest is this weekend. http://turkeyrun.com/index.html
  7. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    No rest for the race weary. Spring Turkey Run car show, swap meet, and everything else, & Spring Break Nationals car audio contest this weekend at D.I.S.

www.champcar.org
    14 hours of Daytona Enduro, April 6-7
    I think 125 cars entered. Cheap cars, big fun on major league race tracks.

Link: Celebration Exotic Car Festival April 12-15, 2018 - Celebration Exotic Car Festival
    April 12-15
    2 track days at D.I.S., REO Speedwagon concert at Hard Rock Live, Concours of Exotic Cars in Downtown Celebration on Saturday and exotic car rally Sunday.

April 14-15 is an SCCA driver's school & track days at D.I.S.
    Novices are Welcome to come and put their road cars on the track at Daytona International Speedway School Course.
    $160 per day includes Instructor.
    $110.00 per day for drivers that have already been signed off as Intermediate/Advanced
    Link: April 14-15 – Daytona – Club Racing Drivers School and Track Event (PDX including Novices) | Central Florida Region SCCA

April 21, 11am - 6pm is a Tuner car show at Daytona Beach Ocean Center, $20. for spectators.
    Link: Tuner Evolution: Daytona Beach

May 5-6 is the 2nd SCCA showcase.
    Last year was a big success for a first time event so we are doing it again.
    FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE

[​IMG]
  8. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    So this happened last Sat. in the Champcar 14 Hours of Daytona. I'm only sharing because the drivers were ok. Safety equipment is good to have.

9. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    The world's most expensive car is a Ferrari GTO 250. This is not a 'real' one, but it is an exact recreation and FIA certified, made w/ factory parts. A real one goes for $30 million or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Vector M12, not the greatest supercar, but very rare. One of 14 built.

[​IMG]

The growl of this '06 Ford GT could cause an eargasm.

[​IMG]
  11. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    You can join SCCA for free by volunteering to help at a few events. I flag on the corners, but there are several other ways to volunteer. You get a free lunch, $25 gas card, $50 voucher for hotel or your race car entry. You can drive your street car in rallycross and autocross (solo). You race against the clock, no risk of other cars crashing you out. No risk of speeding tickets either. #funwithcars

• Like Like x 1
  12. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Next weekend. FREE. Ride along 3 different race courses. Rides around the 3.56 mile track Sat 11-12 & Sun 11:40-12:40. .... AutoX & RallyX rides all day if available. See 80 cars ready to race on pit road Saturday at 12:20 for 'grid walk' before a 90 minute Enduro at 1pm. (Wear closed toe shoes for ride along, helmets will be provided).
    Showcase | Central Florida Region SCCA

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  13. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    This episode of 'My Classic Car' just aired on tv. The guy with the 1924 Studebaker Big Six Ambulance - Hearse is my mechanic.
    "If you live its an ambulance, if you die its a hearse."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Jeep Beach had some cool rides last week. This was the 15th year for the event. They have raised a ton of $$ for charities.

This is TWO 3.8L V6 engines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one has the best colors
    [​IMG]

Supercharged Grand Cherokee needs big brakes to stop
    [​IMG]
  15. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    SCCA Showcase free weekend was another big success even though it rained all day Sunday. Almost 1000 people attended and many took free rides. The spec Miata race had 50 cars and a last corner pass photo finish with 0.003 second margin of victory. Every race Sunday was very wet but no lightning.

Splashing passing drifting & drafting!
  16. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    146 cars starting the 24 Hours of Nurburgring. Live stream here, there are over a dozen more channels with onboard cams.

17. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
  18. Speedofsand

Ratings Received:
    +1,005