If you have 20 minutes watch the 8-18-14 practice update

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Aug 18, 2014.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281
  2. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,210
    At least 9 order of hot fries for me. If we don't reach that I'm rioting and looting Arbys.
  3. urgatorbait

urgatorbait Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    I didn't think it was possible for anything to be done faster than Muschamp speaks!
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,390
    Well, this thread sure backfired.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorStang

GatorStang Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    Coach really knows how to talk. Carrying himself and speaking differently than the start of last season. Hopefully he knows he has something, I'm believing we do.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    I'm def getting more optimistic about our lines. With all the talk about the secondary, WRs and rb battles throughout camp, the lines haven't been getting as much coverage. The most trying teams on our schedule (fsu, uga, usc, lsu) will want to establish a run even more than in past years. 3 of those teams have new QBs and if fsu lost anything it's an advantage outside. Not only does this help our run D, but I also thinks it keeps Bullard from ever having to slide inside except for pure passing downs.

We all know the importance of the o-line and improved play of Sarvary (and maybe Riles) is huge. If Sarvary can be a serviceable interior option and Johnson def sounds solid outside, Thurman can do either and gives us a solid 8. I'm ok with Sharpe as #9.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281
    Okay, I actually sat through that. Glad I did. Anybody who thinks this guy is the second coming of Zook is out of their mind. This is a detail minded coach who trusts his assistants, knows his players and is prepared for anything to happen down the stretch. Along with his assistants, he's done a great job of preparing this team for the season ahead. The only question is the competition.

There is a bit of a realignment going on in the SEC and I can't quite see yet how it shakes out except it looks like the east has grown stronger. Play calling and our QB play will be critical. I think our defense will be better than solid. We don't have the dominant playmaker upfront, but we might be more consistent from nose tackle to safety than we've been in a couple of years.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. urgatorbait

urgatorbait Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    When your starting QB and the best defensive player in the nation so far go down for the season within the first three games, it tends to demoralize a team. When it happens to a team that's already lost a starting OT, WR/KR, and backup LB before the season even started that makes things worse. When that same team went through fall practice without their starting QB, RB, and OG, in addition to those out for the year that makes things even worse. When that same team (with high preseason expectations, and therefore high pressure) loses two more starting OTs, it's starting RB, a couple defenders, and I cant even remember what else for the season, it can have an emotional impact in addition to all the key losses that might cause a loss to Ga Southern to be not so surprising.

Now that wasn't the only reason for the troubles we experienced last year, but to discount it would be foolish.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Boring Boring x 2
  9. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,458
    I am hoping Dante can be that guy, would really be something to have him be disruptive with Vernon waiting for the pop fly singles too come his way.
  10. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,121
    I got through the whole video as well.

Sounds good - I'm just glad we start off with a couple easy games for the team and staff to shake out whatever kinks we will have. I think that's huge!
  11. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811
    FIFY :D
    • Like Like x 1
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,148
    definitely worth listening to the whole thing. What's this "get through it" stuff? It's almost football season. I could listen to the head coach talk for hours about our players. Get through it? I got through it with wood!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Good listen, he sounds confident but matter of fact about what the team has or does not have....not sure even the 1st team OL is all that talented, nor the LB corps, and the DBs are pretty young, but no team is perfect, think we are the equal of UGA and USCe and have a good shot at SEC East if schedule doesn't wear us down...
  14. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think the first team OL is really talented. I also think Rod Johnson is talented. The weight loss should help Morrison and Taylor and Davis can really run.
  15. co_gator89

co_gator89 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,266
    Let's hope so. Morrison looked absolutely lost last year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    He looked lost his freshmen year. I thought a big part of the problem last year was after the injuries up front the opposing OL was getting to the LB's way to quickly
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kirby

Kirby Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    It's sad state of affairs when Florida football has to have excuses for not beating Ga Southern. I said this in another thread a few months ago. If SOS was on the sidelines for UF last year, there is no way we lose to Ga Southern.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Boring Boring x 1
  18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,528
    Ron zook says hi.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    I hope you are right. But I think we would need to see a ton of individual improvement and have some luck to be a "really talented" OL.

Humphries has yet to match his recruiting ranking with his play, Tyler Moore struggled last year, Max Garcia I have nothing to say about, a Trip Thurman would start in only 2 or 3 of the last 25 year's of Gator OLs, and Chaz Green is going to try and play OL with the same injury Braxton Miller just reinjured throwing a 5 yard out in a non-contact drill.

At least we have dependable, solid players at LB. I love Michael Taylor, but he is just too small to win many battles v the TJ Yeldons, Todd Gurleys, Leonard Fournettes, etc...

Not sure what to make of Morrison, other than his hit on EJ Manuel, he may be a 3 star 'backer who plays like a 3 star 'backer.

We could really use a Brandon Spikes, a player that can carry 240+ lbs and still be quick, think we're going to get mashed a little bit v the better SEC run games.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,793
    Yeah. AM wasn't at all comfortable playing in traffic. Took a lot of bad angles and mis-steps because of it, plus having a tough time getting off blocks.

Of course, if the DL do their jobs better, he can use his athleticism and run to the ball.