If you could change the outcome of one UF play...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by eViLG, Aug 2, 2014.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    Yes, I like our chances better against LSU at home, or Texas A & M and SOW on the road, than against Alabama in Atlanta in 2012.

I'm just saying in the context of getting one play to change, I wouldn't waste on 2012. That was a team waiting to show us who they really were, and they did ... against Louisville. Alabama with three weeks to prepare (in the two weeks prior they played Western Carolina and a 3-8 Auburn, both of whom they beat 49-0 and had their starters resting in the second half) would have eaten our lunch. Further, beating Georgia in 2012 would likely have had no impact on that disastrous 2013 season. Believe me, I get no pleasure out of saying that.

By contrast, in my humble opinion, if we had beaten Alabama in that 2009 SEC Championship, I think the last five years would have looked very different. Of course, you just never can tell when you go counter-historical. Maybe Meyer still flakes out even after beating Texas for a second consecutive BCS Championship. Maybe we still end up with Muschamp and a lost season in 2011. Maybe we still end up with a staggering amount of injuries in 2013. We will never know.
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Lot of Gators who watched it (not to mention the many other heart-breaking losses to UGA) would say "Run Lindsay Run." That almost certainly would have prevented UGA from winning the NC. Pitt was the only one-loss team with a chance in the p0lls. They dominated their bowl game and would have jumped UGA.

But it would not have gotten the Gators a shot at their first SEC or national championship. So I'm going with Darnell Leg-humper not twisting Earnest's knee. We hold off UT, defeat LSU in Atlanta and get a shot at another NC.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    This would be my second choice. I think Florida was the team with the best shot against Miami that year, though I certainly wouldn't have bet that way.
  4. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    SOW would have been flagged for a block in the back in 1993.
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,344
    With Florida clinging to a 31-24 lead in Tallahassee, Danny threw a horrible INT to three FSU defenders on second down. If he ate it or threw OOB, we probably might have won this nightmare.

Not so. Had Florida won that game, they would have finished the season with one SEC loss, same as Georgia and Miss State. Being that the Gators beat both those opponents, they would have won. Dunno about Alabama, however, who also lost only one SEC game that year.
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    ???? I referenced the 1980 UGA game and 2001 UT game in Gainesville. None of those games were in Tallahassee or included Danny W. The "not have gotten the Gators a shot at their first SEC or national" comment was in reference to 1980. Not sure where you got Alabama?
  7. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I feel I could argue that may have been one of the most important plays in Gator history depending on what you believe about the Urban Meyer saga.

If we beat LSU, I don't think we lose to Miss St as we were hung over from that game. I think both losses made our team become disillusioned, and since Urban was trying to delegate more, he lost the locker room. It definitely felt to me like the Seniors quit. Not that surprising when that class had just been part of 2 NCs, and was in the hunt the previous year.

So if we win those two games, maybe our team doesn't quit, and we beat USCe or FSU and compete for an SEC CG. I don't think our team was inherently bad that year. Yeah, we got crushed by Bama before our team 'quit,' but LSU was good that year and we almost beat them. I think we could have beaten USCe if our players were playing to their potential.

Since the team wasn't completely fucked up maybe Meyer stays, and gets a competent OC since Addazio would get the Temple HC job. Then you'd have Driskel running Urban's offense the next year.

Certainly a lot of assumptions I'm making, but I don't think that play was meaningless.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    When you explain it like that, it makes a good deal of sense. I'm sold.
  9. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +819
    But then we wouldn't have "The Promise"....:D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. uftaipan

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    You know something I didn't think about until you said this, but after the 2009 SECCG debacle the program got obsessed with switching to a "pro-style" offense as a means of "catching up" with Alabama. Of course, the whole thing has been nothing but a disaster through three OCs. More to the point, why the need to ape Alabama after 2009? These are the teams who have beaten them since 2008:

Florida (2008)
    Utah (2008)
    South Carolina (2010)
    LSU (2010)
    Auburn (2010)
    LSU (2011)
    Texas A&M (2012)
    Auburn (2013)
    Oklahoma (2013)

Not all of those teams run a spread option, but which of them would you say ran a "pro-style" offense? Trying to change our culture has been a disaster that has set us back years. Hopefully, Roper is the answer to that.
  11. lurkingator1

lurkingator1 -,~--~,< … Go Gators, Living among the savages Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    Lindsay Scott was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread. For me is was the most painful loss I have ever experienced.:(
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. swamp1

swamp1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    I don't spill a strawberry dacqueri down the back of a big dude Nole fan in a Noles jersey with his little girlfriend sitting in front of me. My Bull Gator pal gave him the tix in our SWAMP. I went to be nice and the frosty cup slipped out of my hand right before I said, "Would you like a..". Made me just another drunk a-hole Gators fan, spilling drinks on the opponant's fans.

Wait a minute...I wouldn't change a damn thing!! :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. joedirt

joedirt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    The hiring of Ron Zook!
  14. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +899
    this, This, THIS. No other play in UF history compares
  15. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Look at it as payback for when a Nole waiter in the Tallahassee Outback Restaurant spilled a full glass of ice cold water on my Orange and Blue clothes and ran away never to be seen again that night. lol
  16. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I agree. I think some of the want to go pro-style is because it was thought that it would be a better fit for Brantley, but we probably could have gone to a passing spread. I think getting dominated by Bama hurt to some extent.

I think the real reason was recruiting. The spread hadn't quite taken off in the NFL yet, so a lot of teams were negatively recruiting us saying that our spread offense wouldn't get them prepared for the NFL. At the time, Meyer's first classes weren't old enough to make the NFL, so they were probably pointing out we didn't have many recent kids get drafted high.

We apparently lost out on Trent Richardson and Julio Jones to Bama because they wanted to play in a pro-style system. Driskel actually wanted to play in a pro-style system too. He mentioned in interviews a lot that he liked that we were switching.

Of course the term 'pro-style' is so nebulous. Most people think of the traditional 2 back power-run offense. LSU runs that offense, but Bama doesn't. They rarely use a FB and are typically a 1 back offense. They just run it a low with power. We probably could have easily gone to a more passing spread and just sold it as pro-style. I mean, we basically abandoned it pretty early in the season. We started running stuff from the I-formation, and it went horribly.

I think another thing that hurt is that Meyer hired Scott L because of his familiarity with pro-style, but that dude kind of sucks. Meyer really did not hire good assistants after several left in 2009. That's probably one of the key reasons we dropped off a cliff in 2010.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,344
    Sorry, I mixed up the quotes on the post:

1980:

Team----------SEC Record----------Florida H to H

Florida..................4-2.........................Lost to Georgia and LSU
    Georgia.................6-0.........................Ran the table
    Miss State.............5-1..........................Lost to Florida
    Alabama...............5-1..........................Lost to Miss State; didn't play Florida

Had Florida beaten Georgia, the Gators would have had only one loss, and being that they beat UGa and Miss State head to head, they might have won their first SEC title in 1980.
  18. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Not really a play, but imagine if Cam Newton never stole a laptop.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +744
    The play that could have changed that was Rex Grossman's pass into the EZ that fell incomplete v UT in 2001 in the 9/11 replay game.

That was Spurrier's best team since 1996 and he had his kind of QB in Grossman. UF would have played for the MNC that year, and maybe SOS doesn't leave for the NFL.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Alternatively: Newton not getting caught for cheating multiple times. Urbz would have let him back on the team if it was just the laptop.
    • Agree Agree x 1