If We Agree Offensive Line Must Be Better for Improvement----

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by bbreece1, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +262
    Spread and up-tempo schemes typically give an advantage to the O-line and are easier for them to block.

The scheme will have as much or more to do with improvement than anything else IMO.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,740
    It provides less room for error as far as the defense trying to determine the correct coverage package which allows a better chance for the offense to capitalize on a blown play on behalf of the opposing defense.
  3. bog8r

bog8r Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I just want know who is going to Coach 'em up. Any idea who is being targeted for O line coach?
  4. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,740
    Searles is going to get the job...it will be announced after Texas finishes their bowl game.
  5. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    Simple. Fewer injuries and better coaching.

Too many times we had a tackle double team the DT and leave the DE unblocked.
  6. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Brian White (our RB coach) was there for 11 seasons.
  7. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,868
    Besides the obvious injuries taking away the reps getting used to each other, to me the real problem was that there was just bad mojo between the coaches themselves and between them and what they were telling the players. I have to believe that Muschamp had no idea how to fix the communication problem and thought the best course was to let Pease and Davis figure it out. And we all know how that turned out.

Football is filled with coaches who were wunderkinds at one place and become bums or something else in another. They stopped being coaches? I highly doubt it. Synergy is a very underrated commodity.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,427
    Davis coached at Wisconsin awhile back. He came to us from Utah.
  9. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,740
    I learn something new every day!
  10. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +147
    A lot of good points on this thread. I just think it was a perfect storm...unfortunately, a sh!t storm. It all starts with the injuries. That kills cohesiveness, which only an ex-lineman can explain. I know how much it killed me when I played db and I can only assume it's so much worse when you're an OL. Add to that the fact that we had to shuffle so much due to the injuries and it was that much worse.

I don't think any o-line would look good with the injuries we had, but a lot also falls on the coaches. There have been reports of Pease and Davis not getting along and I understand why. TD: "Moore is a guard. He needs help against one of the best passrushers in the league (Sam)...BP: "I didn't give my RT help at bsu"...TD: "WTF does that have to do with it? He's a guard that's only playing bc our only good upperclassman OT is out for the year". BP: "I didn't give my RT any help at bsu"...

Even with O&B glasses on I can't feel too good about next year. I like our starting 4(5). We have a good starting 4 of DJ (he'll improve with weight and experience just like he did from year 1), Garcia, Moore (I think he's a breakout player candidate if moved to guard) and Green (serviceable at RT). I don't think it's hard for a guard to transition to center (if Dilliard doesn't start) and could even see Garcia being that guy (smart and durable). We heard very good things about Jackson and I like Brown if he can stay at 340. Unfortunately, after that we have a bunch of ?. Best case: the JC provides depth at guard, another backup OT emerges and we have no major injuries. Worst case: we lose someone like DJ early, the shuffling begins and we all know how it looks then.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,427
    Agree with all this. We really need all three of the 2nd year guys to step up. Fingers crossed that Thurman can contribute too.
  12. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260
    Not many teams could overcome the loss of so many offensive tackles. Green we lost in preseason and Humphrey was trying to play through injuries until he was finally shut down. These should be our starting tackles with Garcia and Moore playing their more natural guard position.

I keep hearing about Dillard as the likely replacement for Harrison. Hopefully the senior taught his freshman intern some good lessons and he will be our center for the next 3 or 4 years.
  13. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    It starts with health and continuity upfront. Losing Green was a huge blow for the OL. A true right tackle with 2 years worth of starts in conference destroyed the line before the first snap. From that point forward players were being shuffled out of their natural positions and the injury bug ravaged the team. I like the make-up of next years line if we stay healthy. Garcia and Moore playing their natural OG positions with a healthy DJ and Green we should be in an improved position next season.

That combined with a new offensive system with throws designed to slow down pass rushers and timing throws that get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly leaves me optimistic. Hopefully, a few of the new guys step up and push the veterans and hopefully Cameron Dillard wins the the C job decisively. That would be helpful.
  14. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    It just "seems" to me from my subliminal memory of the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 seasons, that we have been giving up sacks way out of proportion to other successful teams. Maybe 12 was slightly different, because Jeff had some legs, but the sack statistic has seemed very lopsided - and very negative - for a while, as compared to the Gumps, and virtually any other top 10 team.

No, I am not going to go Wormwood and pull the stats (though I did look at them a couple of years ago, when they seemd excessive), but I would be shocked if we were not in the bottom third of the rankings for sacks over that time period.

So to me, if my hazy recollection is correct, either we are not getting competitive recruits, or the scheme has changed too often for them to establish continuity and keep up, or they are not being coached up like they should.
  15. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    The talent wasn't as bad as it appeared. The offense was so predictable that the defenses knew when we would run and when we would pass. That makes a OL look way worse than they are.
  16. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    39 sacks in 13 games on 288 pass attempts in 2012.
  17. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661

OK, I went semi-Wormwood (still couldn't find this year's sacks):

2010 (ranking [middle of pack]): 58th, with 24 sacks;

2011 (ranking [middle of pack]): 54th, with 23 sacks; to go with yours, of

2012 (ranking): 111th, with 39 sacks (geez, didn't know it was so many);

2013 (ranking): unknown at this point, with 27 sacks allowed.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    I believe with the system that was in place, and the coaches we had, our OL weren't prepared well enough for everyone to be on the same page as far as picking up blitzes and/or knowing who they're responsible of blocking. With Pease's system allowed many defenders in the box thus allowing more blitzes and potential of a busted play. With the spread formation Roper will be implementing, Our offensive line will be able to simplify their blocking scheme to just a base, allowing for them to have a much quicker learning curve. Those who tend to be clear on what their assignment is, are able to play aggressively. We haven't had that in awhile, no aggression or passion to play the game. I hope the spread offense can re-arrange that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Gray…….thanks for recognizing that this year's planned OL never played a single game together. After Green was lost in pre-season, we had Halapio playing injured when he did come back, and then we lost Humphreys. The line was not going to be a strong point in my mind, but they quickly became a disaster once DJ went down. We need healthy players and a strong OL coach who gets picked by the new OC. If those 2 coaches don't work from the same script, we can expect another fiasco next year!
  20. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +536
    One coach gets to use the injury excuse, two others dont.

Changing the O will help a ton as scoring lifts the team and crowd. Good to see a new direction get here.