If We Agree Offensive Line Must Be Better for Improvement----

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bbreece1, Dec 28, 2013.

1. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    How do any of you perceive the offensive line becoming the least bit better to insure a modicum of improvement? Where will it come from? I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it as possible. I won't evn get into the wide receivers still being a liability, the tight ends as invisible and the fullbacks as ciphers. Some nice running backs but how can that make a difference over what we just witnessed?
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +932
    Well, here's my take.

Humphries puts on about 25lbs and gets stronger and takes care of Right Tackle

Chaz Green returns and is good enough to compete with Garcia on the left or takes the starting spot on the right

Moore returns to his natural position at guard.

Still need another guard and center among the rest of what remains. It would also be nice if some of those youngsters are good enough to help the depth situation. We had quite a few redshirting last year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatormonk

gatormonk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    My concern as well. Besides talent, a good offensive line needs cohesiveness and good communication, which comes over time. Since so many things about our offense will be new it looks to be a huge challenge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jcorb3233

jcorb3233 Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    The thing that would help the most is a consistent line up. Injuries derailed the o-line from the beginning of the season because players were playing out of position, and weren't used to playing with the guys that were on the field. Communication is the biggest part of the o-line, and it gets disrupted when you aren't used to playing alongside the guys on the field. The other problem was in the coaching. Too many times guys looked like they just didn't know who they were supposed to block. I don't know if it was a problem with Pease or Davis (or their working relationship), but they're both gone now, which should hopefully help fix the poorly-designed/implemented blocking schemes.

Humphries needs to add weight, and he will hopefully develop at LT. Garcia is a solid LG, Green is a competent RT, and hopefully Moore will feel more comfortable at his more natural position of RG. We just need somebody who can play consistently at Center to replace Harrison.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +932
    It was a disaster. I have a problem coming up with non obscene words to describe it.

It's obvious that we had a big coaching problem with Pease and Davis. I sure hope we don't see anything like that again, unless its happening to one of our rivals.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    Well, 6 injured OLinemen in 2013, several for the season, certainly didn't help anything. Even the greatest offense on Earth couldn't survive that.

The problem under Muschamp's reign historically, has been that the QBs are consistently nothing other than Target Practice for opponent's Dline and Linebackers. That was just as true under Weiss, and in Pease's first year as it was last year.

Such things don't result from poor quality OLinemen, but from poor coaching.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    Schemes can also offset certain deficiencies. A slow pound and ground attach is probably the worst thing to run if your OL is the weak link. So hopefully a new offense will make the OL look better even if they're not.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +234
    If we have more depth on the defensive line than the offensive line, we might consider switching positions or having 2nd and 3rd team defensive linemen fill in on the offensive line from time to time. If the body styles and playing styles do not match, then it would only have to be a part-time position. It worked well with Mike Pouncey back in the day, albeit that was from a 4-3 DL instead of a 3-4 DL.
  9. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,298

Weis and pease know how to coach. We need talent health and depth, badly.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +932
    I never quite understood how the 2012 OL could run block so well and fail so miserably in pass protection.

We had the benefit of being in favorable down and distance situations because of our running attack (4th best in SEC), yet had a very high number of sacks and hurries (especially when you factor in how few passing attempts we had).
  11. bottledigger

bottledigger Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Mdf, I think you will probably get blasted for your heresy, but I think it's an important and accurate point that gets overlooked in all the justifiable angst following this abomination of a season. Both those guys could and can coach; it's simply untrue to say otherwise. Why they didn't experience consistent success at UF is the million dollar question. That has been endlessly discussed on these boards, but the inaccurate starting premise - that they can't coach - has too often misinformed the discussion. We'll probably never know what exactly went wrong, but I suspect some combination of lack of talent initially, some bad luck with injuries, and some level of coaching conflict combined to produce the poor product we've experienced.
  12. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    Most of these players were highly recruited and pursued by a number of major colleges. It is hard to believe if they are properly coached and prepared and stay relatively free of injuries they cannot become a more than competent offensive line!
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    If they are such great coaches, then why have they both had so many bad offenses as college coaches, prior to coming to Florida?

I mean, isn't the definition of a good coach, someone who has consistent success? Both Pease and Weis were more consistently bad than good in college ball.

Total Offense Rankings:

Weis

Notre Dame
    2005 - 10
    2006 - 23
    2007 - 119 ranked offenses (dead last in the nation)
    2008 - 65
    2009 - 8

Kansas
    2012 93
    2013 117

Average Offensive Ranking over 7 years (not including Florida): 62

Pease

Kentucky 2001 - 56
    2002 - 87

Baylor 2003 - 114
    2004 - 102
    2005 - 97

Boise: 2011 - 9

Average offensive ranking over 6 years prior to UF: 78
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,184
    I'll give the OL some of the benift of the doubt, but overall, even without Green, the starting Ol played just two entire games together this past season. The problem with all the shuffling is that a quality OL coach who knows his personnel well would have been able to deal with all the shuffling a lot better than Davis did.

This OL coach hire needs to be a serious home run hire IMO. We need a real pro at this position, and I for one would not mind a proven pro coach coming in if he at least intends to stay a few seasons. We need an OL coach who knows what the heck he is doing.
  15. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    This was very much a problem at SC. Great run blocking but so so pass blocking. I don't have a clue, but maybe better guards than tackles? Run blocking is more attacking, than the defending of pass protection. It's easier to pancake a defender as a pulling guard than when your first move is a step back or standing in place.

But man that oline is so important. I've yet to see an offensive scheme that could neutralize a bad oline. Unless you base your entire offense on screen passes. Even then you're only going to make it to the linebackers.
  16. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,193
    The fact that pease and Davis were at each other's throats alone goes to show that they were putting more energy in combatting one another than doing their actual jobs...and their positions play personified this.
  17. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    After being impressed with Auburn's oline, I looked at the oline coach for Auburn. He's been there for the last four years. So maybe head coach still has a lot to do with how the oline is developed.
  18. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,193
    I like wisconsin's line coach a lot...look at how many great backs they've had in the past...they didn't achieve this without a good offensive line.
  19. mfpardnor2

mfpardnor2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,328
    didn't Davis come from Wisconsin?
  20. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,193
    Not sure tbh.