If This Team Could Shoot

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Dec 13, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    I know it is far too early for something like this, but clearly, this is not a very good shooting group of athletes who play for the Gators, although I must admit I was quite surprised by some of these percentages. Below are respectively, 3-point shooting, fT shooting and 2-point shooting with a player's percentage, the number of such shots they have taken and their names.

3-point Shooting
    52% - 46 – Frazier
    50% - 06 – Yeguete
    46% - 13 – Wilbekin
    39% - 23 – Finney-Smith
    33% - 03 – Prather
    21% - 14 – D. Walker
    11% - 09 – Carter
    00% - 06 - Hill

FT Shooting
    100%- 02 – Donovan
    92% - 12 – Frazier
    88% - 08 – D. Walker
    74% - 68 – Prather
    71% - 21 – Hill
    71% - 31 – Finney-Smith
    64% - 11 – Kurtz
    61% - 18 – Yeguete
    53% - 45 – Young
    50% - 12 – Wilbekin
    00% - 02 – Carter
    00% - 01 - Graham

2-point Shooting
    62% - 90 – Prather
    58% - 19 – Kurtz
    55% - 29 – Hill
    49% - 72 – Young
    48% - 29 – Frazier
    44% - 09 – Walker
    41% - 34 – Wilbekin
    35% - 40 – Finney-Smith
    31% - 36 – Yeguete
    00% - 05 – Carter
    00% - 01 - Graham

Clearly Carter was not ready to play. Hill ranks surprisingly highly for a true freshman except on 3-point shots, which is an extremely good sign. Clearly, however, there are really only 3 dangerous 3-point shooters, unless Hill develops. Free throw shooting is, at best mediocre, and at worst horrible. I mean, admittedly, Wilbekin has only had 12 free throw attempts, but for your primary PG to shoot 50% is awful. Young's 53 is awful also, and note that other than Prather at 68 attempts, Young is second most frequent at 45, largely because he is not very good. However, knowing of those problems, what perhaps surprised me the most was the 2-point shooting percentages. Hitting less than 50% on 2-point attempts is really bad, and seeing Wilbekin, Finney-Smith and Yeguete, each having at least 36 attempts at below 45% is horrific.

I was clearly correct in my initial assessment last spring: "If this team could shoot, they would be Dangerous."
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    I am sure you were the only one suggesting that last spring (rolls eyes), though I wonder if you also spelled dangerous with a capital "D" then, too.

Serioiously, you are right about thing: it is way too early to judge this team's shooting. I suspect Hill and D. Walker both improve markedly the remainder of the year from the arc. Yeguete and Prather just aren't good shooters, so I wouldn't expect much from them out there. C. Walker can shoot a little, though I suspect Donovan gives him a very short leash and would much rather see him within fifteen feet of the rim unless he is setting a screen. While this isn't going to be one of our better three point shooting teams, it will be more than sufficient once we start getting better looks off the inside-out game, dribble penetration kicks, and in transition.

Free throw shooting doesn't bother me because it can be inordinately effected by a lack of depth. Wilbekin playing upwards of 36-38 minutes guarding the best backcourt opposition and initiating all our halfcourt sest is bound to have weak legs late in games. That will change entirely with Hill's presence. Yeguete and Young are never going to be great shooters, though with a deeper post rotation I am hopeful they too might have have fresher legs and shoot higher percentages, especially down the stretch. Frazier has been great, Prather has improved, and Hill should be fine once he gets his legs under him.

The more disconcerting thing for me has been our inability to finish in the paint. Young probably doesn't have the hands to be a great low post scorer, Yeguete doesn't have any lift in his legs right now, and I am beginning to see why Finney-Smith was so poor shooting 2s at VT as opposed to 3s. Part of it, though, has been an absolute lack of space in the paint. As we continue extending our rotation once D. Walker gets healthy and C. Walker starts playing, that will mean some smaller, quicker,more skilled combinations in the frontcourt that will stretch out the defense and create more driving lanes for our guards. I would also like to see some more pick and roll opportunities. We've had precious few thus far and that is where both Young and Yeguete (not to mention C. Walker) can get some easy points because teams will be so focused on what Hill and Wilbekin do off the bounce. Heck, I would love to see Prather get some opportunities to run the pick and roll at the four.
  3. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    One thing to point out about DFS and his FG shooting %. I can't think of him taking too many shots from 7-8 feet and in.

I can think of a lot of pull ups from 16-19 feet. Those shots are certainly going to have a lower success rate than the bunnies. Without those shorter ones, with the higher rate, to off-set the deep to mid-range shots. The lower the overall % is going to be.

I think what we need to see out of DFS is for him to attack the basket more rather than pull up for those mid-range shots. That will also certainly help open up other things in the half court set as well.
  4. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +583
    Wilbekin better get better at FT% if he wants the ball in his hands with the lead down the stretch.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    Wilbekin shot 72% last year and 71% the previous year. He isn't great from the line and probably won't morph overnight into a 80%+ shooter. But I pretty well guarantee that Donovan won't take the ball out of his hands late in games.
  6. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Let's not give too "short of a leash" to the only guy who will possibly play in the NBA next year. I'm tired of short leashes except on people who have demonstrated consistently--some for 4 years ----that they warrant short leashes.
  7. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    With Boynton having the ball in his hands so many times with the game on the line, I can definitely guarantee that Donovan will be reluctant to take it out of Will's hands.
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,704
    We desperately need another Hump to get over the hump.
    After witnessing Napier & Giffey riddle us from outside up in Connecticut,
    we would be absolutely dangerous with our inside-outside game right now.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,681
    Golly, gee, whatever could you mean? Never understand the need to take shots at players.
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    I think that we have maybe the worst 3-point shooting team ever for Billy D. He is a really good coach, so I expect he will work around it.
  11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +682
    It'll be interesting to see how it works out with Hill. He knocked down those 2 FTs with 8 seconds left pretty calmly, so he might be an upgrade to Wilbekin when it comes to FTs late but you could also tell he felt the moment a possession or 2 earlier when he brought the ball up and looked somewhat unsure and Billy had Scottie come over and take over the ball handling/decision making with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock.
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    06-07 team only sported a 40% shooting percentage from 3 and we are at 37% right now. I think with time and our guys getting more comfortable playing with eachother, that number should go up. Also, statistically Frazier is better than Humphrey and Walter from that team. Not saying they go as far as the 04's but we have decent shooters on this team. Also our FT shooting isn't that far from the 06-07 team either. They were 70% from the FT line and we are currently at 67%.

With that said, where the 06 team blows us out of the water is 2pt shooting. They sport over 10% higher percentage than we do. All-in-all I don't think we have to worry much about shooting as long as we can continue to play good defense.
  13. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    rserina, I'm not referring to any players!! I don't criticize 18-21 year old kids. Once in a while I may criticize the adults who gathered certain young people to represent an institution--see football--- earlierI was actually talking about a guy now in Europe. And I don't really blame him for being given late responsibility so often in games. I really don't want to hear about "short leashes" for a guy who gives us the ONLY chance to win a Championship with the things he can bring to this team. Now if you want to play this game where guys need to "demonstrate" what they can do, fine. Just don't think for a second that the 7 guys now getting significant playing time can win the whole thing. That is the idea,right , the whole thing?? It seems many have been fraustrated last few years with late game collapses in the Elite Eight. Now I understand these have been good years but would you agree they could have been truly special years with one special guy?
  14. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    DFS has a lot of put back misses on offensive rebounds, that's why his shot % is so low. He has 20 offensive rebounds.

Prather leads the team in offensive rebounds by the way at 24. His offensive rating of 132 is pretty high.
  15. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Depth hurts shooting. You lose legs you lose shot. Once we have a good rotation our shooting should go up. DFS has been cold, but he looked good finally last game and I suspect he will settle in and be a good shooter. Wilbekin still has to completely understand what he is doing when he drives, he still gets reckless in the paint sometimes but he looks like he is maturing quickly at this as well and finding himself daily almost. Frazier is a stud shooter we know that, DFS should be close to 35 from 3. Wilbekin as well. FT's def have to improve I agree especially from the PG position.
  16. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +223
    Agree with others that there have been realistic reasons(not excuses) for why our shooting has been lower than anyone would like. Gotta think that everything about this team will improve as they get more adjusted to playing as a team.

I would agree with both the suggestion that it is too early to judge and that this team will be dangerous if it can shoot better. Heck, if we just hit our free throws we win a lot.
  17. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    DFS has also missed more Dunks than the rest of division 1...combined O_O
  18. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Good points crew.

Yes, Dangerous is always spelled with a capitol "D."

I too think that HIll and Wilbekin will be fine on Free Throws - I noted that Wilbekin only had 12 FT attempts.

When I built those numbers, there were better than I expected, and mostly those are playing with 6 scholarship players, so the tired legs certainly plays a part.

So, perhaps this team can, in fact, be Dangerous.