If Tebow was given.....

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by at_skeeters, Sep 16, 2013.

1. at_skeeters

at_skeeters New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    1. His favorite college TE
    2. His favorite college WR
    3. His college offensive coordinator
    4. Full support from his coaching staff and team

.....would his growth have been different?

Isn't this exactly what Andrew Luck has been given?

Now, I am not comparing Tebow to Andre Luck skill-wise, but I do wonder if any and every college QB coming out had this much support and "buy-in" would the success rate for QBs go up.

Guys like Cam Newton, Peyton Manning and Troy Aikmen were allowed to suck and shine at the same time in their first year with no chance of getting the hook. That kind of support allows you to grow without fear of losing your job which I believe promotes improvement over situations where the a front office is less than invested (Alex Smith anyone?).

(the contrary argument here is Mark Sanchez who was given support and never grew)

I see the same type of investment in EJ Manuel in Buffalo this year and i have to wonder if Tebow had gotten support in Denver (rather than trading away the best receiver right before giving him the start) would he have developed further.

By the way, long time lurker, first time poster....
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I bet Odin Lloyd wishes Tim Tebow had been given his favorite college TE to work with when he went to the Broncos. :ninja:
  3. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    hernandez innocent until proven otherwise. if he dodges these charges send him to jacksonville, jags could use him
  4. gatorhwk

gatorhwk Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Of course, I think his growth would have been different in this scenario. I think it would have been different if only he had gotten #4. Even so, I think his growth would have been different if he didn't have any of what Luck has and could simply read (and/or react to) defenses faster than he does.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +909
    When going to Washington, if Spurrier was going to be given:

* His top two quarterbacks from Florida;

* Three of his top receivers from Florida;

* A probowl running back, and

* Two pro bowl OL'men on his offensive line...

then...

Sometimes it doesn't always work no matter how many tools you have in the box.

Give Tebow Dan Mullen (really, it was Urban Meyer as the OC), Aaron Hernandez, Percy Harvin, and Urban Meyer as head coach, it still probably wouldn't have made a lot of difference. Against teams with top ten defenses:

Year-------Opponent--------Total Defense-------Yards Gained-------Offensive Points

2007...............LSU...........................3d...........................314..................28
    2007...............Auburn......................6th..........................312..................17
    2007...............Georgia...................14th..........................343..................23
    2008...............Tennessee................3d...........................243..................23
    2008...............Ole Miss...................19th.........................443..................30
    2008...............USCe........................13th.........................519..................49
    2008...............FSU...........................15th........................501..................45
    2008...............Alabama......................3d.........................356..................31
    2009...............LSU...........................19th........................337..................13
    2009...............USCe.........................15th........................339..................24
    2009...............Alabama......................2d.........................335..................13

Tim had a couple of good games in there for sure, but generally, he was held to under 400 yards, and NFL defenses are ALL like Alabama.

It was largely the same in the SOS Era at Florida, in that while he occasionally lit up top teams, most times, he gained about 300+ yards and scored about 24 points against top defensive teams. He didn't hang half a hundred on everyone. Teams with close to equal talent and athleticism gave him fits as well.
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Yep. It irritated me when Elwuss got rid of Denver's two best receivers right before he allowed Tebow to start, thinking that Tebow would lose and Elwuss would get Andrew Luck to play for him.

Elwuss was all about the "suck for Luck" sabotage. I despise horse-teeth Elwuss.
  7. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I believe that also, that Elway and the rest of the Broncos senior management intended to simultaneously expose Tebow as overrated (to get the fans off their backs) and capture first place in the Luckstakes. Their plan backfired and they ended up with Peyton, who at the most might possibly get Denver to one more Super Bowl but will then retire and leave them back at square one the next season.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    All Tebow needed was what every other first round qb got since he was drafted.
  9. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    The likelihood of Ahern getting away with this is like .0000000000000001%.
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    "So you're saying there's a chance."

Lol... I agree.
  11. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No, I thought so too based on all the evidence we've heard about, but then I did some reading about it. You have to consider the way the witness testimony is breaking down, and the charges that were filed by the state.

They charged AH with first degree murder based on the hearsay testimony of one accomplice, Ortiz, who said that the other accomplice, Wallace, told him that Hernandez was the shooter. Ortiz claims he stayed in the car and didn't see what happened.

So now, it's expected that AH and Wallace are going to team up and say that Ortiz was the shooter. They could say that all they intended to do was scare Lloyd, but that a scuffle broke out and Ortiz panicked and shot Lloyd. And now he's lying and pointing the finger at them to save his own skin.

It will be their word against that of Ortiz, a criminal with a record. That might be enough to create reasonable doubt on the first degree murder charge against AH, which may have been overreaching by the prosecutor.

The slam-dunk for the prosecutor would have been to charge all three of them with assault coupled with second-degree felony murder. Probably could've gotten three convictions on that without needing Ortiz's testimony.
  12. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +376
    Great point! You forgot to add in a few 2nd rounders too...
  13. at_skeeters

at_skeeters New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    1. When did i bring up Steve Spurrier? Carry a torch much?

2. I am pretty sure i have been told over and over that college performance has little to do with the NFL (sarcasm off).

3. Is 400 yards the new college yardstick? Not being a smartie, just a question?

I think it is awesome that gator fans now even tear at the career of what was pretty widely viewed as the best college football player ever (and a Gator to boot). Thank god for social media and ESPN for being able to rewrite history as they see fit.
  14. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    If I recall the Florida felony murder rule correctly, AH is still eligible for death or LWOP if he was involved, even if he didn't pull the trigger himself. Go read about the Sean Taylor shooting. You don't have to be the actual shooter to get sent away forever.
  15. scarndogator

scarndogator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I think Tebows religiosity is why he's basically blackballed. Winning is supposed to be everything. Has any first round QB ever in the history of the league been out quicker (fewer starts) barring injury with a higher winning percentage?

More specifically its the mocking and condemning in media/pop culture that his religiosity brings that has him blackballed. Why buy grief--is the thinking.
  16. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Really?
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    You have officially become the stat man. Good lord. Is there one thread that you haven't thrown a wall of statistical analysis to prove you're point? Not bashing you, pretty interesting actually.
  18. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,227
    Well it is a bit refreshing. Most people just throw out baseless opinions constructed from perpetual myths on this board.

This dazzling post was sent via my Samsung Galaxy Tablet using jet packs custom built for Gator Country.
  19. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,044
    He's partially right, IMO. But Tim's main problem is reading and reacting to defenses. He just doesn't have it upstairs when it comes to the NFL defenses. They own him. PERIOD. And I've been a supporter for a long time. Though I'm still holding out hope he can get picked up by a team like San Fran or Philly. Doubt it, but you never know. God works in mysterious ways....
  20. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    he was given demaryius thomas, eric decker (who both seem to be doing just fine with the current broncos QB), an above-average willis mcgahee, a solid offensive line, a very good defense and a coaching staff that dumbed down the playbook to cater to his strengths. how many QBs have been given those tools?