If it's December, it must be time for ....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    i think the point was that you claimed Christmas was banned from the parade and it obviously wasn't.
  2. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Your Christophobic "War on Christmas" denial seems to have clouded your memory, dear. And you seem to be trying to debunk a 2004 story with a 2013 photo.

Here's what the 2004 LA Times article I excerpted and linked stated:

"“The salvos between politically correct busybodies and pious protesters in 2004 were equally intense. Denver prohibited a church group from participating in its annual Parade of Lights because it wanted to sing Christmas songs;"​

Here's what I said about the 2004 banning of the Church group's float that was to have included the singing of Christmas carols and hymns, relevant part bolded:

Here's what the leading paleoconservative intellectual Sam Francis wrote in 2004:

"In Denver, local merchants have for years sponsored a pallid festival called the "Parade of Lights," which sported Santa Claus but no Christian images. The "mood," as the New York Times described it last week, "was bouncy, commercial and determinedly secular." The Parade "shunned politics and anything remotely smacking of controversy, including openly religious Christmas themes that might offend."

It's interesting there's someone in Denver who thinks that "openly religious themes" in a Christmas event "might offend."

...The people who were offended were local Christian groups fed up with the absolute refusal of local businessmen to mention religion at all. This year, the Faith Bible Chapel sought permission to run a float in the Parade of Lights that carried explicit religious themes, with a choir singing hymns and carols. Permission denied. Too controversial, you see. Can you imagine what would happen if somebody in a Christmas parade actually started singing "Silent Night"? The horror, the horror.

...But the horror of being misconstrued apparently extends only to Christian themes. The Parade of Lights, as the Rocky Mountain News reported," includes the Spirit Society, which honors gay and lesbian American Indians as holy people; a German folk dance group; and performers of the Lion Dance, a Chinese New Year tradition 'meant to chase away evil spirits and welcome good luck and good fortune for the year.'" Sounds sort of like a "specific religious message," no?

http://vnnforum.com/archive/index.php/t-13663.html

Interesting take by Charles Krauthammer:

It is Christmastime, and what would Christmas be without the usual platoon of annoying pettifoggers rising annually to strip Christmas of any Christian content? With some success:

School districts in New Jersey and Florida ban Christmas carols. The mayor of Somerville, Mass., apologizes for "mistakenly" referring to the town's "holiday party" as a "Christmas party." The Broward and Fashion malls in South Florida put up a Hanukah menorah but no nativity scene. The manager of one of the malls explains: Hanukah commemorates a battle and not a religious event, though he hastens to add, "I really don't know a lot about it." He does not. Hanukah commemorates a miracle, and there is no event more "religious" than a miracle.

The attempts to de-Christianize Christmas are as absurd as they are relentless. The United States today is the most tolerant and diverse society in history. It celebrates all faiths with an open heart and open-mindedness that, compared to even the most advanced countries in Europe, are unique.

Yet more than 80 percent of Americans are Christian, and probably 95 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas. Christmas Day is an official federal holiday, the only day of the entire year when, for example, the Smithsonian museums are closed. Are we to pretend that Christmas is nothing but an orgy of commerce in celebration of . . . what? The winter solstice?​

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6396-2004Dec16.html

As I've said, the War on Christmas is a subset of a larger Cultural War.

See above.

The War on Christmas and the Culture War against Western civilization is a worldwide phenomenon, and it seems to be led in large part by Jews hostile to Christian culture. The Muslims seem to be taking notes and are starting to use similar tactics.

Terror lurking in a Christmas tree? Israel tries to ban non-Jewish celebrations

"This issue first came to public attention two years ago when it was revealed that Shimon Gapso, the mayor of Upper Nazareth, had banned Christmas trees from all public buildings in his northern Israeli city."
    http://mondoweiss.net/2012/12/lurking-christmas-celebrations.html

Evidence of the larger Culture War:

Labour wanted mass immigration to make UK more multicultural, says former adviser

Labour threw open Britain's borders to mass immigration to help socially engineer a "truly multicultural" country, a former Government adviser has revealed.
    The huge increases in migrants over the last decade were partly due to a politically motivated attempt by ministers to radically change the country and "rub the Right's nose in diversity", according to Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett.
    He said Labour's relaxation of controls was a deliberate plan to "open up the UK to mass migration" but that ministers were nervous and reluctant to discuss such a move publicly for fear it would alienate its "core working class vote".
    As a result, the public argument for immigration concentrated instead on the economic benefits and need for more migrants.
    Critics said the revelations showed a "conspiracy" within Government to impose mass immigration for "cynical" political reasons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...K-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,344
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Festivus is sometimes confused with the Knockout Game, i.e., Fistivus: Fistvus merges the "airing of grievances" with the "feats of strength."

Another story of interest:

US Appeals Court: Schools Can Ban Nativity Display While Allowing Menorah and Islamic Crescent

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archive/ldn/2006/feb/06020601
  5. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I'm not paranoid, I'm conscious.

As far as Christmas and Easter go, I think Christmas is more important, as do many others. You're welcome to your take.

You think that I believe that I'm a "target of a diabolical plot"? I believe that Western civilization is being undermined by Leftists, hardly a novel observation. Charles Krauthammer and Sam Francis (perhaps the greatest paleoconservative intellectual of the last 2 decades) see things as I do. Evidently you've aligned yourself with rivergator. I like my odds.

You mean the article I posted that appeared in Ha'aretz, "the New York Times of Israel"? The "War on Christmas,"and the attacks on Christianity and Western civilization are being led to a significant degree by Jews hostile to Christian/Western/WASP culture? Many serious intellectuals agree with my take. The Ha'aretz article also appeared in an influential intellectual journal (that's where I first saw it,)

I said that Western civilization is under attack by hostile segments of society, not "doomed," necessarily. You don't disagree, do you? You and other posters evidently assume that I'm a' bent out of shape' Christian. Not an accurate assumption. I'm a cold blooded analyst and observer who happens to be conscious. Until you and others wake up you won't be seeing what I see.
  6. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Interesting how the mere mention of Christmas in a thread can draw the local atheists like moths to a flame. Feeling a little hollow this Christmas season?
  7. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    Yes, I'm debunking your 2013 claim with a 2013 photo.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    What claim are you talking about? Be specific.
  9. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    Come on. You don't think it's a little funny that the Fox anchor is all upset over a six-foot pole made out of beer cans 1100 miles away? that she's worried about running into it when she's driving her children around looking for nativity scenes, given that it's in the rotunda of the Florida Capitol?
    You don't think she's pandering to a Fox audience who can also be outraged over the fact that there's a six foot pole of beer cans?
    Just a bit silly?
  10. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Yes it was silly river. Now answer my last post, thanks.
  11. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I'll ask again, what claim are you talking about? Be specific. Thanks.
  12. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    i thought i answered that. that the denver parade had banned christmas stuff.
  13. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Could you give me the exact quote of what you.re claiming I said? Thanks.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  14. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    you know, if you don't think you said that, then what was your point about the Denver parade?
  15. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I asked rivergator a simple question:
    fastsix has rated this a "dumb post."

The reason rivergator won't quote what he claims I said about the Denver Parade of Lights is that he's misrepresenting what I posted. Numerous attempts to get him to accurately post what I said have failed.

It's silly to claim that a 2013 photo of a Christmas parade disproves what the LA Times wrote about the parade nine years ago. (This story was also covered by the NY Times and many other media outlets). By such logic, one might post a photo of Auschwitz in 2013 to prove that Jews weren't gassed there during World War II. I bet even fastsix would call that dumb.

This "claim", river?

I simply linked to articles that stated that a Christmas float was banned in 2004. Did anyone ever call that a permanent ban? No.

In 2004 both the NY Times and LA Times wrote about the Denver Parade of Lights prohibiting a float from appearing in its Christmas parade because it was going to carry a church group that wanted to sing hymns and carols. Because I mentioned this occurence in 2013, your pal river refers to it as my "2013 claim." And he says:
    . rivergator is saying that because in 2013 I posted a 2004 story that was clearly about a 2004 parade, he can debunk that story by pretending that it was about a 2013 parade, because my post about the 2004 parade occured in 2013. Really rivergator?

" Oh what an tangled web we weave..."
  16. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    OK, so your point is that in 2004, there was some issue with Christmas stuff at the Denver parade, but now Christmas is included, is that it? That's the war on Christmas?

By the way, an op-ed in the LA Times does not mean the newspaper acknowledged the war on Christmas. It mean it ran an opinion piece from someone. It runs all kinds from every point of view.
  17. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,384
    Well, you guys can relax. The war is over. Bill O'Reilly

18. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
  19. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received: