If it's December, it must be time for ....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Dec 4, 2013.

1. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +146
    Here's proof that the Marxist Muslim occupying the White House supports the War on Christmas
    [​IMG]
  3. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +275
    And proof racism is dead in America. :rolleyes:

4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167
    Is this supposed to be damning in some way?
  5. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +275
    Was River's original picture? The fact that Christmas is still celebrated at all in the US means there is no War on Christmas? Is that how it works?
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167
    River's just seemed to make the point - at least in Denver - that there is plenty of representation of "Christ"mas. I just wasn't sure what the counter in your picture was. "FREE Holiday Fun"? Was that it?
  7. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +275
    No, not at all. I applaud Denver on their commitment to the holiday. I mean, to throw a Groundhog Day parade two months early is true dedication.
  8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167
    Meh. I don't disagree there are some who have a stick up their butt about everything Christmas, Christian, Religious, etc. I just think that's a bad example. I mean, seeing that wording on a similar sign 40 years ago wouldn't have surprised me. Something with "Holiday Tree" would, IMO, be a much better example. That, to me, is PC run amok. This? Not so much.
  9. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    I tend to think city's are simply more aware of their diverse populations and a place like Denver, which actually has a sizable Jewish population, and probably others of religions that don't celebrate Christmas, it's an effort toward inclusion. Denver for instance has a sizable Jewish population.

What I reject though is that even if we were to accept it was a little too pc, it's not evidence of a "War on Christmas"
  10. malligator

Ratings Received:
    +275
    Hey, I didn't bring up the Denver "Parade of Lights" as an example. River did. I just pointed out that while Denver allows Christmas floats in the parade they have removed Christmas from their official vocabulary. Why not just drop "Free Holiday Fun" altogether?
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167

I'm not sure it's even that. "Free Holiday Fun?" It's obviously targeted at kids/parents and it obviously points to a host of available activities. Also, it is the biggest/longest "Holiday" of the year for kids. So now we're going to get all butt hurt because they didn't call it a "Christmas Bouncy House."

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think some (on both sides of this) really need to lighten up.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167
    I would offer that your example (and evidence) of removing Christmas from official vocabulary is a better example than something as general as this. This is basically saying, "Hey kids, there's a bunch of stuff to play with, eat, etc. here."
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    The claim was made that Christmas was banned from the Denver parade. That's obviously not true. No offense, but you really are confused by that?
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167

Could also be cover for the "Spinning Dreidel" ride.

On a side note: Why would Muslims be offended by Christmas? By their own admission, Jesus did exist and was a significant prophet among their pantheon of profits. So, while it may not be the end-all of Holidays, I would think it is still a date worth acknowledging.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,081
    Good points
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,167
    Even when I was in school, it seemed everything but atheism was represented. There were always Christmas Trees and Menorahs and the usual stuff at the typical Christmas Festivals. While I don't doubt there is a PC element at work here I think there are also instances where "Holiday" is just a catch-all for all the season entails. Thus, while I was being a little flip re. the Bouncy House and Spinning Dreidel ride, the reality is there may be things in there representing a host of different Holiday themes.
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,327
    I didn't claim the Brussels story and the la times article were related. I said that the woman who wrote the la times article has a clear agenda. It was an opinion piece by someone whose states goal is exactly what she wrote.

And if we are now broadening this out to the whole world, of course you will find haters, just as you will about everything if you look hard enough. My point was about the US, there is no war on anything christmas related, just differing views on how people's rights overlap, which happens with literally hundreds of subjects. It's just a ginned up way to get people angry at the "other side". Nothing more.
  18. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    I'm going to abridge some text in this post to try and keep it to a single post.
    Why? Because the 9 year old story feeds and strengthens your indignant fear that Christmas - and Western civilization is doomed ?

The picture posted by River refuted your charge that Christmas floats have been banned from the Denver parade.​

Likely not. Safad (alt spell include Safed, Tzvat, Tzfat) is a city with an ancient and revered tradition as a sacred place for Kabbalah study. It has a large population of Hasidic scholars who apparently resent the presence of Arab students in the city. Violence was a very real possibility.

http://www.zissil.com/topics/Safed-College#Tzfat_Academic_College
    It's beyond me why this event even concerns you having occurred in Israel, a place where Christianity may have been birthed, but is definitely not an intrinsic part of the Israeli/Jewish spiritual identity. If the Palestinian students had been Muslim and a Ramadan decoration had been removed, would you have been so concerned? And why bother with trees anyway? Decorating trees is a heathen practice that in truth has no legitimate connection to the faith of Jesus. It's a holdover from ancient pagan festivals just as December 25th was Saturnalia in the time of Jesus.

Jeremiah 10:2-4
    New King James Version (NKJV)

2 Thus says the Lord:
    “Do not learn the way of the Gentiles;
    Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven,
    For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the peoples are futile;
    For one cuts a tree from the forest,
    The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.

4 They decorate it with silver and gold;
    They fasten it with nails and hammers
    So that it will not topple.

Some of what you copy pasted is true, some is superstition and some is misrepresentation. I looked for the source and again, it looks as though you found it in one of Piatak's articles promoting the "War on Christmas." The article was published in Ha'aretz in 2004 or 05 and the link you supplied is not a working link. Shahar Ilan, the author of the article with the non-existent link wrote another article for Ha'aretz in 2012. You might want to read it to compare what he is alleged to have previously written to what was published last year.
    http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world...dic-jews-celebrate-christmas.premium-1.489734

Unsubstantiated 2004 version:
    2012 version:
    For someone so concerned about an attack on Christians, the statement above is nothing short of a shameless counter attack born of desperation. You have copy/pasted and repeated nothing but an outrageous lie by posting "kabbalistic literature extensively discusses Christianity as waste material excreted from the body of the Jewish people." You have only succeeded in lowering yourself to the level of those you have accused of 'warring on Christmas'/Christianity.

Kabbalah is Jewish mysticism and I can state I have done more than a little reading on the subject. Never in any of my reading have I encountered anything even remotely hinting at what you have charged. Follow this link http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/fa.../for-hasidim-tonight-is-unholy-night-567.html to an entry in the blog entitled 'failedmessiah' to read the entire 2004 version of Ilan's article with comments made mostly by Jewish men.

One of the men commenting wrote, "I have in course of study read all of the AR"I's writings as well as those of Cordevero and the Ramban... I have never found this stated, let alone extensively." Clicking the link attached to his comment http://hamekubal.blogspot.com/ takes the reader to his website. The man is a rabbi and certainly more knowledgeable of Kabbalah than I.

(Note - failedmessiah.typepad is not about Jesus. The blogger is a former Lubavitcher who became disillusioned with the Chabad sect of Judaism and writes from that POV. The late Lubavitch leader, Rabbi Schneerson was in some Chabad circles regarded as the messiah.)

You are well schooled in the fears of your xenophobic teachers. I'm not going to try and refute each of your points, because frankly, it would be pointless. You have bought into the propaganda hook, line, and sinker and are quite content believing you are the target of a diabolical plot. Nothing I write is likely to convince you otherwise.

Wishing You and Yours, a Joyous Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  19. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    the parade of lights banned a float on which carols and hymns were to be sung. There was a backlash and the policy was changed.. So what is your point? Why not post a photo of the last super bowl and claim that it proves that the green bay packers never won a championship?
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  20. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,770
    Outrage, I tell you! Outrage over Festivus!

link