If it's December, it must be time for ....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    how is a store policy about greetings forcing your beliefs on others? and does it, in any way, affect how you celebrate Christmas?
  2. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +490

As we discussed years ago, the employees being told they have to say 'Happy Holiday's' instead of 'Merry Christmas' is wrong. Just like a school trying to force their children to not say 'Merry Christmas' is wrong today. Sears and Walmart were able to figure it out. However, for whatever reason, you have never been able to understand that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,118

you didn't answer the question.
  4. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Yes... And "worrying about" this issue occupies a total of .000000000000000000000000001% percent of my time.
  5. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +490

Of course I did, if you tell others what they have to say or can't say then you are forcing your views on others. I said the same thing years ago and today and you still don't understand.
  6. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    nope. it's just setting standards of behavior in the workplace. you may have to wear a tie. if you work at Waffle House, you'll greet every person who walks in the door, etc. If you're told to say Happy Holidays, and it really affects your own beliefs about Christmas ... then they were pretty flimsy to begin with.

But, basically, you seem opposed to the right of an employer to decide employee behavior. Do you think a store has a right to tell an employee to stop saying "Praise Allah" to every customer?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,362
    last year when I still owned my restaurant I instructed all my employees we would say Merry Christmas to all who entered and if they answered Happy Holidays we just said thank you and moved on

I had Christian themed fire pictures on my walls so it was no surprise to anyone where I stood
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +490

Not what I said at all but like I said, you just don't get it. I couldn't care less if someone says 'Praise Allah' and if you were paying any attention to what others post you would know that. But if you actually paid attention to what others post you wouldn't be able to start this sort of silly thread each year. The issue has been and always will be telling others they can't say 'Merry Christmas'. If the person doesn't want to say 'Merry Christmas' I am fine with that. If they want to say 'Happy Hanukkah' I am fine with that. I would have the same issue if someone was told they couldn't say 'Happy Hanukkah'.
  9. rivergator

Ratings Received:
    +2,118
    And you have every right to do that. But I'm sure Austin will come along and tell you how wrong you are.
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    You got me beat.

But unless I'm mistaken, you're talking about private employers. All employees are subject to some contractual limitations that would be untenable outside of that situation.
  11. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +765
    [​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,198
    When I answered phones for product support, it was dictated that I answered, "Hello, Product Support. How can I help you?" Your boss telling you to greet customers with either "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" is no different. It's not an infringement on your freedom of speech or religion. It's simply instructions on how to do your job.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. seahawk

seahawk Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    The "War On Christmas" is really just a liberal attack on Western civilization and the institutions that made it great. rivergator is evidently a Christophobic "War on Christmas" denier. "Merry Christmas" isn't "inclusive", liberals say. Within 5 years liberals will say that saying "Merry Christmas" is an anti-semitic act, according to a friend of mine who was the first to notice a "war against Christmas" back in 1995. I have 2 favorite "War on Christmas recollections. 1) When Fed Reserve bank examiners told a bank that they had to remove their "Merry Christmas" decorations and replace them with "Happy Holiday" signs. 2) When a student group at a North Carolina university was told that the "Christmas Tree Sale" they were conducting to raise money for a student group had to be renamed a "Holiday Tree Sale."

Before long we'll be told that resistance to the "War on Christmas" is" racism".

The War on Christmas has its roots in totalitarianism. In the old Soviet Union, the communists might deport you for decorating a Christmas tree, or even sentence you to death.

Liberals don't think that Christians should be admitted to polite society; the ticket for admission includes a requirement that you accept of gay people and unapologetic homosexuality as part of American life. Most Christians don't, so Christophobic liberals attack them.

Pretty obvious, isn't it? Unless you're a denier, lol!
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,864
    Or it could be that some people believe in the full separation of church and state, while others believe in a less literal definition. These cases almost all stem from government decisions.

But that doesn't elicit the outrage and anger on both sides like a "war on Christmas" does.
  15. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +765
    Your assumption that liberals are "war[ring] against Christmas" is a stretch of facts. There is no evidence that "liberals" were responsible for the events you mentioned above. I tend to be a stickler for facts so I googled what information you supplied and found in both cases media reports that were made at the time each event occurred.

In the tree sale incident, the students were not told they had to rename their sales as "Holiday Trees." The wording of the announcement of the sale on the WPCC website was changed by college officials thinking they were abiding by a law they misunderstood. The change of name for the event lasted for one day.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/28/a...-forcing-student-group-to-sell-holiday-trees/

The situation in Oklahoma with the bank did not involve Christmas decorations. The Bank examiner was concerned with other overt displays of Christianity. The situation was resolved and the bank is once again displaying signs and symbols of Christianity.

http://www.koco.com/Feds-Force-Okla...erse/-/9844716/10744952/-/kamexm/-/index.html

http://www.koco.com/After-Outcry-Fe...sses/-/9844716/10744924/-/blj7m4/-/index.html

16. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +490

Understood, every newbie is told how to answer a phone for customer service when they start. After you have been with the company for awhile you are allowed to go off script. It's got nothing to do with what we are talking about but thanks for your input.
  17. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,198
    No, that's how we were supposed to answer the phone no matter if it was your first call or your 10,000th.
  18. AustinGator1

Ratings Received:
    +490

They must have thought you a newbie for a long time. :)
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,029

Maybe there's no war, maybe there is... but one thing for sure is that the atheists like mocking our Christmas Holiday Season celebrations with their atheist crap. If they truly believe in no GOD, then why do they even do this crap at all?

http://www.startribune.com/local/234973441.html
  20. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,198
    I estimate that I took around 10,000 calls while at that job. By the time I left, I knew the answer to most people's questions before they finished asking it. Still answered the phone the same way they told me to on day 1.