If it's December, it must be time for ....

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Dec 4, 2013.

1. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    Agree again ;)
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,700
    Spent quite a few Christmas holidays in FL and always felt weird. I'd rather have the cold weather.
  3. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +677
    Gee...pardon me for being topical:)
  4. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,926
    Well the problem with 'outrage' imo, is that people quickly discard rationality and proportion/context. It's easy to get mad at a lot of things and much of what we do is really barking at the moon. It's harder but ultimately more rewarding to just let much of that anger go and turn some of that discontent into opportunities for 'building bridges' as you say (and are in fact trying to on this thread...kudos to you). We do have more in common but personal obsession with being angry or just passively being led by the outrage machine can obscure this truth.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018

Explains why I define myself as a "radical moderate" (think I bark at the moon much?). I think almost every major issue in the country has a moderate or practical solution to it that the vast majority could get behind and benefit from. But we're controlled by a two-party system that only benefits the political jihadists. If we could get them out of the mix (outlawing closed primaries would be a nice start), I think things would be a lot better for everyone (at least those of us outside the political machinery).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,018
    Hey man, we'll probably be in the 50s on Christmas night. What? That's not cold enough? :)

Still, gotta love the boat parades.

On that, just moved to St. Augustine from St. Pete (we have, like, 5 or so). Do they do one here? If so, I bet it's awesome.
  7. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,700
    Actually one of the years I was at UF it when down to the 20's. I went to my parent's house in Tampa and there was freaking brownouts. Typically I like to be in the NE for Christmas. It just makes me feel more in the spirit, I'm sure because I grew up there.
  8. GT Gator

GT Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    Gee...pardon me for being tropical:) (see wygator's post above!)
  9. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,700
    haha. Actually to be precise you're subtropical. ;)
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +948
    Your link was definitely topical, but that doesn't change anything. Where did you see that link originally?

Google "atheist christmas billboard" and check out the results.

rightwingnews.com
    breitbart.com
    conservativebyte.com
    theblaze.com
    biblearcheology.com
    christianpost.com
    newsmax.com
    etc. etc. etc.

A bunch of right wing, conservative, and religious sites all happily spreading the atheist message this Christmas.
  11. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,700
    Not true, I just did it and got:

Huffington Post
    sacramento.cbslocal.com
    abclocal
    washingtimes
    .....among other
  12. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +948
    Yes, and the ".....among others" are full of right wing, Christian, and conservative sites happily spreading the atheist message this Christmas. Rightwingnews.com, breitbart.com, and conservativebyte.com are right there on the front page.

[​IMG]
    Edit: :) and I want to point out that conservate sites didn't get a click from me.
  13. BobK89

BobK89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +245
    December 1989?? It was barely above 32 all day that Christmas, I mean, Holiday Eve.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  14. gatorman_07732

Ratings Received:
    +3,700
    That's it. I remember leaving Beaty Towers after my finals and the car door was iced shut. Kudos on your memory Bob.
  15. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +677
    Actually, my link does change things. It is a clear demonstration that there are organized efforts to attack the celebration of Christmas for those who want to keep "Christ" in it. It doesn't matter who the messenger is as long as it is being accurately reported.

Let's face it. "Don't go to church, you hate it..." is pretty nasty. If they are atheists, why is it so darned important to them that those of us who believe in the Christ of Christmas be bludgeoned over it? What is really wrong with these people and what do they hope to accomplish by denigrating and making fun of Christians? I'm not bothered if they put up a Christmas tree and exchange Christmas presents while not believing in Christ...why aren't they content to leave it at that? Are they insecure about their beliefs (or lack thereof)?
  16. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +948
    The same, or least similar, reason you feel it's so important to bludgeon us with putting Christ in Christmas. There's no Christ in my Christmas and no matter how many times you shout Merry Christmas at me, or how many nativity scenes you try to force on me via the courthouse lawn, that's not going to change. And you know what, nobody can take the Christ out of your Christmas. You can pray to Jesus 7 days a week and twice on Sunday about Christmas and absolutely no one can stop you, and very few will care. The problem is when you try to use our government to amplify those prayers, and to a lesser extent, when you condemn others who don't' share in your prayers - that is what people are trying to stop.

People "tolerate" your religion, some just don't tolerate you trying to force your religion on them. "Happy Holidays" doesn't negate Christmas, or Christ, it includes them just as much as every other holiday someone might wish to celebrate.
  17. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +677
    Now you've taken a huge leap and made massive assumptions. When have I done any of these things you accuse me of?

By the way, I'm not trying to put "Christ" in "Christmas". It's already there...
  18. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +948
    If it's just the spelling of Christmas that's important to you, then you're sitting pretty.

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. wygator

Ratings Received:
    +677
    Clever, but disrespectful...
  20. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +210
    Sadly what some have never been able to figure out for years (yes river I mean you) is that it isn't about how someone wants to celebrate this time of year. It is about forcing others to speak or celebrate in your way at this time of year. From the time river and I went round and round about this several years ago when Walmart and Sears had a policy where their employees had to say 'happy holidays' to today, river and others have chosen not to get it and instead have these silly 'war on the war on Christmas threads'. Walmart and Sears both seemed to figure out how stupid they were being and cancelled their policy regarding telling their employees what they could say. Yet there are still plenty of others who still try and force their views on others. Look at what a school in Frisco TX tried to do in the link attached. Fortunately, we have laws in Texas that don't allow for this idiocy but it still goes on.

I couldn't care less if you want to say 'happy holiday's' or 'merry christmas' or 'happy Jesus birthday' (I like the last one the best). The issue is, you shouldn't be allowed to dictate to me nor I to you what is said.

Thank you Lord for your amazing gift to us all!!!!!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/kathys...as-trees-as-well-as-the-colors-red-and-green/

And for those who might want to whine about the link, feel free to Google 'Frisco TX winter party' and choose whatever link you are most comfortable with. I simply chose the first one that pops up. Nobody is denying this happened.
    • Winner Winner x 1