I'd rather be us

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by deathroll, Sep 12, 2013.

1. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 2 / -1
    OK, Saturday was FRUStrating (that's frustrating with a capital FRUS) but I still very much like this (our) team, the Gators. Miami scored more points this past weekend but they did little else. I watched the FL/U game again and I know I'd much rather have UF's team than Miami's. Feel the same way about pretty much every school in the country. Yeah, Bama wins and OR wins and is fun but pretty much everybody else (GA, SC, USC, TX, ND) has issues just like we do. Truth is, losing hurts and it hurts regardless of the style of play. Losing with a ball control offense and/or turnovers and/or penalties is not fun but neither is losing with bubble screens or with a spread offense or in a shootout. Losing just ain't fun. But football is fun and FL has a good team. We lost to Miami but we also dominated them. Our defense beat their offense but our offense also beat their defense. UF has the single toughest schedule in the game. It's gonna be tough. At best, we're gonna grind out a fair number of wins. But we're not gonna Oregon anybody and if OR played our schedule, I don't believe they'd OR anyone either. I'd rather be us.
  2. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +149 / 6 / -1
  3. TyWilliamsGator

TyWilliamsGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. SpinelessInSeattle

SpinelessInSeattle New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At least we're not Texas or USC. We can still win our conference, brick by brick. USC and Texas are the troglodytes of football.
  5. gatorump

gatorump Member

Ratings Received:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Please stop saying 'we' like you are a Gator fan. Stir the pot, make yourself out to be an idiot, do whatever else we expect from Miami fans, but stop pretending, it is kinda embarrassing.
  6. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +348 / 16 / -2
    Our problem: turning the ball over.

uga's problem: letting the opposing team score 30+ points.

Our problem is so much easier to understand and fix, any honest coach or fan would tell you they'd rather have our problem than theirs.
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Although I give Miami more credit than anyone else here, I still like my team a lot. I think we will be fine, albeit not championship caliber this year. Next year, we sould be a complete team...

Mistakes are a part of the game. Frank Beamer would agree with you...
  8. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 3 / -2
    I'd feel better about the UM game if the TOs were an aberration and were unlikely to happen again. Unfortunately the trend in big games since UGa has been the opposite - 6 in that game, 3 against Louisville, 5 against Miami. Throw in one against FSU and one against Mizzou and a team that before UGa looked like it was great at eliminating TOs is starting to look like it's prone to TOs.
  9. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +368 / 30 / -1
    Minus the turnovers and we would all be happy as pigs in slop.
  10. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 2 / -1
    Thanks GSean. While we do have more problems than just turnovers, you succinctly made the point that I was trying to make. If you ran this type of comparison with 100 other schools, I believe we'd come out ahead of almost all (doesn't mean we'd beat every one of 'em on any given day but still).
  11. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The UT game will show a lot. Do we let Driskel throw aggressively, or do we put t clamps on him for fear of to's. If they let him throw aggressively, does he keep missing throws and getting picked. My bet is Muschamp stays true to form, keeps the offensive conservative and tries to win time of possession and hopes the D holds up. I hate this ball control offense when you have such an inefficient scoring offense.
  12. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    unfortunately, in sports you do not get to subtract all the bad plays.
  13. deathroll

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 2 / -1
    Agree, win or lose, TN will be VERY interesting/telling.

What I don't understand is how, after we pound the ball into the center of the line over and over and over, the downfield pass play is not running free, WIDE open when we do play option. TV commentators mentioned many times how Miami's defenders were "cheating" up to defend the run. I believe it too. So, if that's the case, why can't we EASILY run right past 'em for a wide open touchdown (without using the infernal "red zone")? And no, the answer is not Driskel; I'm talking WIDE open, where a shot putter could hit the receiver.
  14. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 4 / -2
    And if you would have taken away 5 of our best plays, it would have been a blowout the other way around...
  15. prisch1

prisch1 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If we take out the turnover we probably win the game, but in this dreamworld don't we also have to take away Miami's mistakes---so no blocked punt and no pick by VHIII. So take 6 off the board for us.

In the 3rd Q we got the ball at our 41, 36 and 40 down 14-6. That is very good starting field position. We didn't turn it over once. We produced 3 points.

Our turnovers in/near the red zone were on 3rd and 3 so FG attempt, 1st and 15, anyone saying a TD was a lock was crazy and 2nd and 10 I believe so about to be 3rd and 10 from the 11. At best we get 13 points from those 3 possessions (and our kicker is a freshman who missed a 39 yarder last week so no FG is a gimme). We are still down 14-13 without Miami's mistakes as well.

I do believe without the turnovers we probably wins, but it still would have been a very close game.
  16. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hell, if you take away their whiffed blocking assignment on that punt block and our late desperation touchdown on their prevent defense, how many points do we put up?

All this talk has been about our 5 turnovers and us handing them the game...we got pretty fortunate to score the 17 points we ended up with.
  17. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,466 / 25 / -8
    Those are clearly empanadas. ;)
  18. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +811 / 14 / -7
    [​IMG]
  19. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 21 / -7
    the third quarter was brutal, especially the third drive. I think it was 1 yd run, 1 yd run, sack on 3rd and 8, maybe a hold thrown in there as well, yep, we blew that game by not taking advantage of their negative total yardage in the third quarter thanks to a monstrous defensive effort out of the locker room.
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,159 / 16 / -5
    :roll: :whistle:

Do all you guys who say stuff like this ever try to analyze what happened in a game to try to project future performance?

Is it always just "Excuses, excuses..." or "Yeah, but if my aunt had balls..."??????????

Statistics can be meaningful!!!

For example, I might pick Team X in the NFL to beat Team Y in a rematch even if the Team Y had already won a previous close game if, in the 1st game, Team X had doubled Team Y in yardage, but had committed 5 TO's. That's not an iron-clad rule, but if that's all I had to go on, you can bet I'd probably pick Team X in the rematch.

I know we don't have a rematch with Miami coming up, but the way we controlled the statistical battle in that game could be a positive indicator for the balance of the season. And, as someone mentioned, it's a bit troubling that the last few games may indicate a trend that we are turnover prone. All these things are worth considering if you actually have any desire to analyze as opposed to just carping and complaining and throwing in the towel before the whole story has been written.