I want to eat some major crow next year!!!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorLaw25, Nov 13, 2013.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,939
    Exactly. Suddenly people are claiming LSU is our "rival". LSU is not our "rival" Tennessee is a rivalry.

Will is 4-4 vs. our ACTUAL rivals.

0-3 UGA
    1-1 FSU
    3-0 UT

Of course the UGS thing hurts...as they are considered by many our biggest rival (Though I feel thatFSU is our biggest) I jumped off of his wagon last week, as many know...but his rivalry record as oft posted here, is completely misleading.
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,168

It would be my pleasure to eat crow, but it won't ever happen beause I for one do not believe Muschamp will be retained after we're thumped by fsu at the end of the season.

When Foley comes out and outright says word for word "I am not going to fire Muschamp at the end of this season no matter what, period", then I'll believe he'll be retained. If he doesn't intend to fire him, then say that, but no, he left himself an "out" with what he said.

Foley can just as easily say the Sunday after the fsu game "we've re-evaluated our options and have now decided it is in the best intrest of the UF program to part ways with Coach Muschamp", and if he does this (which I think he will), no one in Gator Nation is going to remember his words of support for Muschamp three, especially if we've gone 1 - 2 those three weeks.

Matter of fact, most of Gator Nation will be cheering Foley's decision and placing him on a pedestal and singing his praises for doing so. Nobody is going to care what he said three weeks prior.

It'll look to Gator Nation like "Foley was trying to give Muschamp a chance to turn it around the last few games but it just didn't work out".

That's what I think will happen.
  3. GatorLaw25

GatorLaw25 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    I don't think so, but...
    From your lips to God's ears!
  4. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +636
    We play LSU every year, and lose some and win some. That is a rival as we have to beat them to get to larger goals.

Zook didn't get the extra time but WM will. Why, Foley wants to be right more than he wants to hire a personality larger than himself.
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,168
    Well, like I said before, it's all my own personal opinion, and nothing more.
  6. garettk

garettk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    Hey, you can have your alcohol and eat your crow too. I recommend the red wine, but Natty will do.
  7. garettk

garettk Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +235
    I know it's been discussed to death, but who does he go after? Honestly, who would we have a chance at that would unite the fans? I know it's Florida and a top 5 job and all, and yes most of these coaches are Alpha-Male types that think they can accomplish anything, but right now can we honestly say it's a very attractive job?
  8. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    That first sentence tempers my thoughts. There's no clear choice out there. After Zook was canned it was obvious to go after UM, who had very impressive achievement at Utah.

I have come to think it's really almost like rolling dice. I remember Ty Whittingham led Stanford to their first outright PAC-10 title in 29 years so Notre Dame snatched him up. He lasted three seasons there. There are numerous examples like that. OTOH The Hat had moderate success at the other OSU and then has done pretty good at LSU, although a couple years ago his fans were up in arms. Saint Nick, who some on GC seem to consider the god of college football, only had one good season in five at MSU before LSU hired him. Even there he had two 3-loss, one 4-loss, and one 5-loss seasons to go with the one 1-loss season (I always smile that the only blemish in his MNC season was a Gator team led by Zook and freshman Chris Leak).

One thing that has actually raised WM's stock with me is that, as far as I've read, he hasn't whined or tried to blame others. I was excited when we snatched away UT's HCiW (I considered him "pre-vetted"), but I was disappointed with the hair-on-fire-Coach-BOOM act the first year (might work for coordinators but not HCs).

I do trust Foley so if he decides WM needs or deserves another year then I'm ok with it. There could be bigger picture stuff going on. JF is not perfect, but he's pretty doggone good at his job, and orders of magnitude better than I would be.