I tip my hat to John Chavis...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Oct 12, 2013.

1. gatorplank

gatorplank Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +400
    he was the reason LSU won today. I think they had a brilliant game plan. The secondary and LB's took away all the intermediate and long throws from Murphy. Why did it work? Because we don't have the talent at WR to make plays 1 on 1 in the short passing game. Sure the receivers have improved, but we still have the same amount of talent as we did last year. Most of our WRs are possession receivers outside of Solomon Patton. Sure we added Robinson and Fulwood, but Robinson is lost out there.

I think LSU turned the corner defensively last week against Mississippi State. It sucks for us, but sometimes teams kick it into another gear after a loss. You have to give credit where it is due, and John Chavis has been excellent at what he does for a long time.

Unfortunately, I think the game goes differently if Murphy is able to hit those screen passes. LSU was bringing 5 or 6 on a lot of those obvious passing situations. When LSU brings six like they did on multiple occassions Murphy needs to tuck it and head for the first down marker. He could have gotten it every time.