I think we're in this for the long haul...

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorcrimlaw08, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I keep checking Twitter, Google, ESPN, this site, and the various other Gators news sites hoping to see something, anything, indicating that Foley has made moves. I figured that by today we would at least see Pease relieved of his duties. But nothing. One would think that if firings were going to happen because the Vandy game broke the camel's back, they would've been swift. I'm taking the lack of news and Muschamp's remarks yesterday that he "wasn't worried about his job" and would "reevaluate his staff at the end of the year, as usual" to mean that we're stuck with Pease for the rest of this year and Muschamp for at least one more.
  2. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    They will be forced to fire him because of lost revenue imo. The fan base is done with WM aside from a rare minority remnant of sunshine pumpers. It doesn't help that we may have 2 more losses coming this season (1 to our heated rival)
  3. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    If Muschamp remains intact i cannot even imagine the hopelessness going into next year. At least throughout our last several years of struggles, each season has come with some kind of buzz or hope going into August. Next year there would be none. A near death sentence for a major college football program.
  4. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +373
    There should be some good seats available next season at the Swamp. Now's your opportunity to become a ticket holder before we start having good teams again.
  5. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    1-5 vs UGA/FSU is a HUGE one. The 11-2 fluke season is going to screw us next year. That's the only thing anyone could even remotely use to rationalize giving Muschamp another season. There were many people(attacked because of it) that said the season was a mirage of good luck and turnovers. Here we are...a year later looking at Muschamp's second 4 game losing streak. Dude just doesn't have it. If Foley decides to bring him back next year and it fails then Foley should fall on his sword. I certainly don't trust Foley to make a "good" football hire, do you?
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,195
    If a move will be made, don't expect it until tomorrow.
  7. raidsgt

raidsgt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    If McKinnon and Ellison put up 200+ yards and 3+ TD's then it will not be long!
  8. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Zook wasn't fired until the Monday after the game, so anyone thinking that Foley would pulll a Pat Haden hasn't kept up with the history of his managerial decisions.

I find it unlikely that anything will be announced this week. There is no Urban Meyer sitting out there, so the urgency to make the change isn't there. I also think there is a hope (hard to believe at this point) in Foley that Muschamp will pull a rabbit and get out of this mess before he is forced to act.

If the season plays out like I fear, the staff (with a few exceptions for continuity) will be released on December 2nd.
  9. ufgator4ever

ufgator4ever Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +171
    Well done agent muschamp. Well done. VD
  10. gatorgrl

gatorgrl Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    I will wait for tomorrow. But as posted above, if he gets another year, I think Foley should go too. But I'd like to get some BG input here...where are they standing?
  11. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +341
    You don't speak for the fan base.
  12. ETGator

ETGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Just because it's not (yet) being done publicly, that doesn't mean Foley isn't already at work.

I assume that, before yesterday, Foley would have been in the camp of "give Muschamp one more year," if for no other reason than he has to eat crow for the second disaster of hiring a totally inexperienced Head Coach that had to learn on the job in the S.E.C. and because he gave an extension and raise after last year making the buy-out so much more expensive.

However, after yesterday, with what everyone saw at Homecoming, I think the heat has been turned up not only Coach Muscamp but also on Mr. Foley. Coach Pease would have been the sacrificial lamb regardless.

I'd say initial contacts are being made right because, unless we win-out, or win 2 and play F$U a tight game (neither of which are likely), we'll have an announcement of a vacancy as soon as next week -- after the South Carolina game.

But JMO . . .

13. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    ^^^This. Zook was dismissed on a Monday. Foley and Machen decided on a Sunday, but met with Zook at Machen's home Monday morning before the announcement that day.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  14. irongator99

irongator99 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Look, he isn't getting fired this year. It's also highly unlikely that there will be major changes amongst the assistants because everyone knows next year is a make or break year for Muschamp, and not many candidates would want to venture out onto such thin ice.

The bottom line is that Foley believes this team has been derailed by injuries - not poor coaching. Actually, he probably feels 2 of the 3 years have been defined by injuries when you consider the time Brantley missed in Year 1. The administration still has confidence in WM as a coach and feels the program will be bolstered by the return of so many contributors next year, as well as a recruiting class this year that they feel is particularly dynamic. Foley hired WM with a long-term perspective, and he's not going to terminate him a year removed from a 2 loss, Sugar Bowl season - no matter how many of our fans feel it was a fluke.

Muschamp is going to get another opportunity to compete for an SEC Championship with a viable roster. And by viable roster I mean one that isn't depleted with injuries and consists of a sizable amount of players who fit his scheme. Foley isn't going to devalue the program with a quick trigger.
  15. vandygator

vandygator Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I did find it interesting that there was no coaches show this morning on Sun Sports. They showed a Finebaum filler replay show instead.
  16. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +482
    Is that true? If so, completely, totally and inexcusably gutless.
  17. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249
    Just some respectful push-back:

Injuries were not the cause of our team not being motivated against Missouri when we could have taken over 1st place in the East; or against an injury riddled UGA when we could remain in the East race with a win and beat our rival for the first time in 3 years; or against an injury riddled Vanderbilt when we were playing to have a .500 season, a bowl birth, and whatever pride the team had left during homecoming.

The problems on this team go far deeper than injuries.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  18. irongator99

irongator99 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Fellas, there was a coaches show this morning. You can view it on Gatorzone.com.
  19. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    I didn't see it but the coaches show came on after the Finebaum replay.
  20. irongator99

irongator99 Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    We're all entitled to our opinions, but I'm just telling you that you will have a hard time selling that to Foley when you didn't have Driskel, Jones, Green, Easley, Powell, Jacobs, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.