I think it's a shame. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Oct 7, 2013.

1. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Well:

1. If you liked certain of my posts last season you may well like them this season.

2. If you call people losers, they usually will react.

3. Thinking a bad UK season this year is good for college basketball really does not necessarily have anything to do with UK. It could be whomever it most into the one and done method. One could like UK over the long haul, but not at much as UF, and hope they struggle again this year. BTW, all I was doing was suggesting a reason for GatorLurker not to reciprocate the good wishes for UK. Heck I did not even say I joined it. Heck dailydoublecat's response to me suggest maybe part of his reason for not posting as much is he is ashamed or at least not fully on board with the current UK model.

4. I for the most part ignore the Calipari is a cheater threads. They are boring. I merely pointed out that are quite different than whether or not one and done is good for college basketball.

5. The pitty post is also among the most boring. They are boring when a UF fans posts saying they are leaving this or that board for this or that reason. The usual reaction to a pitty post is good riddance. A pitty post by a rival is even more of a reason for a good riddance.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,087
    DD has always been fine, but go look at the Calipari thread to see who initiates the drama.
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Vince??
  4. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +691
    That thread missed my attention, but if people were baiting rival fans, then they risk being infracted, and I have done so in the past. Rivals are welcome on this board, and we think their perspective is valuable. We expect them to have thick skins and stay above the fray, but we also expect our fans to be good hosts and not treat these guests poorly.
  5. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +685
    Lets see...

Someone posts quotes by Cal (interesting ones and probably worth a thread). They, somehow, cause you to bring up Cal being shady or having cheated in the past - despite having nothing to do with his quote. I state that I disagree with your typical take on Cal and that I agree with his quote.

...And its me initiating drama? I think perception is the problem here. Not visiting fans causing drama. The problem comes when defending something is taken as promoting or extolling something. Trust me from a UK fan perspective, drama is best found on UK boards. I honestly think I would prefer less UK/Cal/drama discussion than some on this site.
  6. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Really, so how do you explain thread after thread after thread after thread of UK fans defending Calipari from criticisms by UF fans. That is:

1. UK fans having thin skins

2. and UK fans jumping into the fray.

Were someone to actually enforce the claimed rules on UK fans like they at times try to on UF fans, then UF fans could from time to time make their criticism of Calipari without so many threads devolving into pointless back and forths on Calipari's past record. Or put another way, I would not click on threads I previously read the beginning that stretch out multiple pages only to find they had become Calipari back and forth threads. I think that happened to me many times even though I try to avoid those threads. I even vaguely remember UF recruiting threads that grew to many pages and I would click on them thinking there must be an interesting update, but alas it would be more Calipari back and forth.
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    I guess I don't see any issue with UK fans, or any fans engaging in a discussion.... even if the view is different than that of the average UF poster.
    The problem as I see it, is that the mere mention of UK (and UK is mentioned here often--- and by our own fans) initiates endless dialogue about Calipari being a cheat, one-and-done, etc.
    And while I am no Calipari fan - - - not by a loooong stretch - - - those have become very tired debates. So, I can only imagine how they have worn on our rival posters.

go gators!
  8. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    I looked.
  9. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,037
    By the way folks, watch the insults. They, too, are not allowed.
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,037
    :D

Just thought this was a great quote (note he did reference an exception for Jeff), and I enjoy the visiting rivals regardless of whether they are more chippy or more friendly or a little of both.

I think in general when posting on a message board you either need to have thick skin or learn how to ignore (button or not). Seemed like Jeff was a little sensitive on that thread. If you don't want to argue, then...don't.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  11. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    So then according to you:

1. UK fans are not staying above the fray and are having thin skins as I pointed out.

2. If the expectations (rules) here that opponents fans are respectful and stay above the fray were enforced, then these threads would probably die out and at least be much shorter.

3. No other fan base comes here and starts flame wars like these UK fans.
  12. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,214

1) I do not consider discussion to be a "fray". And as I said. . I do not find it offensive for a UK fan to express an opinion of Calipari that may be different than mine.

2) Yes. If rivals did not respond to the baiting posts, the threads would probably die much sooner. But I find it odd that on the heels of asking Jeff direct questions, you then turn and wonder why he and REM are responding. Why illicit a resply if you don't want one?

3) I do not see REM nor DDC starting flame wars. I am not saying it does not happen, but I have not seen it too frequently, if at all. If anything, both seem to show terrific restraint in the face of their team/coach/program under continuous onslaught on these boards. I am not commending them per say, as they should expect that to a certain degree on a rival's board. But at some point, the devolving nature of any UK related thread does become tiresome and tedious.

You do not have to put up with flame wars. But again, I have not witnessed DDC or REM initiating anything like that. I would suggest than anyone who is offended by a rival fan voicing a favorable opinion of its team/coach . . . well, that may be the person who needs 'thicker skin'.

go gators!
  13. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73

I do not find it offensive either. I ignore what I don't want to read so I don't even mind flame wars. I just think a few UK fans are treated differently here, that that is odd and wondered about it.
  14. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    I don't think there are many UK fans here. The ones I am aware of are REM, DDC and BEH.
  15. InstiGATOR1

Ratings Received:
    +73
    Still that it is a small number who are allowed to behave in ways unacceptable of rival fans does not change that they do.
  16. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +1,214
    Again, maybe I am missing it- - - but I with occasional exception from Bert- - -I have not seen "unacceptable behavior" from our rival fans.

I guess that is where we differ. I just don't see it.
  17. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Well we managed to run off Spurrier. Really proud of the gator fan base
  18. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +763
    Agree totally. Rival fans such as the aforementioned should not have to kiss our ass when posting. Their posts generally were of sound basketball based dialogue.