I think it's a shame. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Oct 7, 2013.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +835
    IMO, we have effectively runoff a couple very good, albeit, UK fans/posters.
    I know some enjoy the board void of rival fans. I can't argue that... Just a difference of opinion, I guess.
    I think DD and REM are among the better posters on this board. I hate to read news of them posting less b/c of on-going battles.

End of rant.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    Not sure what arguments they are referring to. When a UK poster comes here to extoll their program, especially at the expense of Florida, then they can expect a little blowback. Was it more than that?
  3. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +835
    I can not think of any thread in particular, but I have noticed a tendency for even benign comments/posts to spiral into something far different than the original intent. I have rarely, if ever, seen REM or DDC make posts for the sole purpose of extolling UK, and especially not at the expense of Florida. I think it is a shame that at various times these guys have felt discouraged from posting.

BEH - - - he is another story! ;)
    I like him, but he can be a cantankerous ole fella!
  4. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +835
    Actually. . . just read the thread in which DDC wished everyone good luck and expressed excitement about the upcoming basketball season. Some very odd responses there. It just seems like sometimes there is a knee-jerk effort to engage our UK posters in a fight.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=273611
  5. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Some of the posts on that thread are incredibly childish...Jeff comes with his usual "I love everyone here and hope we all have good seasons" and some losers turn it into another argument about Calipari being a cheater, as if we've never beaten that horse before. The problem isn't Jeff or other UK posters but rather Gator fans starting crap with no provocation. There is a huge difference between Jeff saying "I hope everyone has a good season, we should both be in the Final Four" and "HAHA, UK HAS ALL THE GOOD RECRUITS WE'RE GONNA ROLL YOU" or "LOL CAL OWNS YOU FOREVER", which is how some on that thread apparently interpreted it. I wish Jeff would post more and some of our Gator fans less, not the other way around.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,872
    Jeff is a good guy and a gentleman.
    I have never posted an unkind word to him.
  7. EvenParGator

EvenParGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    Don't you wish that all our posters were as knowledgeable as REM and DDC...
  8. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    I didn't see anything particularly offensive in that thread. Gatorlurker said he hoped UK had a year similar to last, and Instigator responded to Gatorlurker saying it would be better for CBB if they did because it would return the sport to one of player development vs. recruiting one-and-dones. The rest of the posts expressed sorrow over seeing DDC post less.
  9. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    It should be noted that on their home board, these same posters do talk sht about UF sometimes...
  10. g8tr82

g8tr82 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    KY homers

"Dooley Noted", sorry someone had to write it
  11. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +835
    Nothing offensive, but it just shows that the guy cant so much as say "good luck" without it becoming a "calipari thread" or "one-and-done discussion".
  12. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +697
    To be fair to Gatorlurker and Instigator, it was more of a "good luck, I'm not going to be posting anymore because I'm sick of the drama here regarding UK/Calipari" thread. Sort of a loaded OP from the perspective of die-hard born and bred Kentucky-hating Gator fans.

I think Jeff, REM, and BEH are treated pretty fairly here by almost everyone. Hell, a lot of Gator posters are treated with less respect on here.

Look at the Den, no matter what approach anyone takes regarding Muschamp, Pease, Jones, Driskel, Taylor, etc, they are gang tackled by half the other posters. It's the nature of the beast.
  13. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +602
    I do appreciate the kind words. I think after many years on this forum I know pretty much how everyone feels about Calipari, one and done, and UK.

I really like this board and have learned a lot from looking at things in a different light. I just want to talk hoops. I will just steer clear of people wanting drama.

Jeff
  14. akaGatorhoops

Ratings Received:
    +835
    I am not pointing anyone out. I do not pay attention to who posts what. I just know that there is a tendancy for some threads to spiral way off course, even at the slightest inference to uk. I think our rivals are treated fairly by most, but I do think there are a few who look to stir up fights. I have never taken inventory of who. . . but as I said, some threads seem to become bash campaigns, even without provocation. That said, UK is a rival... so to some extent that is natural and welcomed on a fan site.
    I just think its a shame that some very good posters have felt discouraged to post b/c the pattern of drama that sometimes follows.
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    I like DDC and REM posting on this board. REM is a really good poster and would hate to see him leave.

It doesn't alter the fact that I wish that UK tanks again. It isn't personal against those posters.
  16. gator_gary

gator_gary VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Yeah I feel left out. You guys give it to me about attendance more often than the uk posters.... and I just point out the obvious. You guys gonna let me in on this kumbaya circle jerk party or what?
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +379
    As a wise old Div 1 playing friend once said to me, "A true competitor would finish first and second."
  18. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Wow you sure have ZERO reading comprehension ability it seems. Talk about being a loser. One type of losers is an illiterate person who miss attribute things to others.

To try it a little more sloooooowwwlllllyyyy for the reading impaired, some UF fans do not wish UK to have a great season. Some UF fans think the one and done model of UK basketball right now is bad for college basketball. Neither of those opinions are surprising on this board or unique even to UF fans.

BTW on the original topic of this thread, I have found the UK fans here surprisingly contributing little or nothing to the board. They have nothing more to say it seems than 5 stars. I see little or nothing in the way of actual analysis of their team or how their players fit together. I rarely even see some contribution about UF or even real knowledge about UF's players and team.

What I do read from UK posters here are really thin skins who can not let a comment about Calipari pass. This is afterall a UF fan board.
  19. 33hoop

33hoop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Dailydoublecat (Jeff) is the best, always enjoy his posts and would love to meet him someday. He's a knowledgeable basketball fan and is respectful to others on the board. It would be a real shame for him to post less because of anyone giving him grief on here. I think you are a top notch guy Jeff, even if you do like those stinking cats. LOL
  20. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +842
    Did you really just call me illiterate in the same sentence as you said "One type of losers is" and "miss attribute"? Really? My law degree tells me you might be the illiterate one.

Let's talk about reading comprehension for a second.

GatorLurker told Jeff that no offense, but he hopes UK has a similar season to last year. Nothing wrong with that IMO, we don't need to have any soft spot for UK. Jeff replies, as the consummate poster he is, that no offense was taken, nor should it have been given that this is a Gator website. Jeff does happen to have a soft spot for UF - he roots for us when we aren't playing UK, and that's a choice he makes. Just because you can't reciprocate in your rooting interests doesn't mean his perspective is worthless. Jeff got baited multiple times in that thread by posts that were borderline trolling, yet he deflected them like an adult.

InstiGATOR, I have (had?) a ton of respect for your posts last year, especially your statistical analysis, and I appreciate what you bring to the board. Up until this recent anti-UK tirade I thought you were one of the better level-headed posters around here...but you were the first one to bring up Kentucky's recruiting practices, you were the first one to bring up Cal's name, and you made that thread about UK and derailed it from the feel-good kumbaya circle jerk it could have been.

What I see here are a few UF fans who hate UK with unbridled passion, and they're imputing their hatred to rival posters who add to the discussion with different perspectives. We get it, you hate UK and hope they have a horrible season because Calipari is ruining college basketball. You hate this so much that you can't even stand seeing a fan of a rival school post anything at all, especially when they're just kind words wishing us as FANS the best of luck on a new season. You're letting your hatred for UK get in the way of a simple discussion.

I do not like Calipari, his recruiting style's perceived "effect" on college basketball, or UK basketball. I admire their winning tradition, that's about it. Will me arguing with UK fans on the internet about any of that change it? Nope. Will bringing it up constantly make our little corner of the internet an anger-filled and otherwise unenjoyable place to try to talk about college basketball? Yes. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if people stopped taking their disdain for UK's current recruiting/dirtiness/whatever out on posters who are just here to talk about basketball.

IMHO, the whole reason behind Jeff deciding to post less is summed up in that thread - a simple nice gesture on his part got derailed into a thread about UK not because he brought it up, but because a couple Gator fans made some snide remarks when they bore little to no relation to the topic at hand, in what looked to me like unnecessary attempts to get a rise out of Jeff as our resident UK fan punching bag.
    • Like Like x 1