I think I have figured out what frustrates me about the play calling

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Sep 29, 2013.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +728
    The first half offense was a thing of beauty. And then in the second half, with the same personnel, we stopped trying to score. I saw the same people doing the same things that resulted in big gains and touchdowns, do similar things, but result in small gains and no touchdowns. It is hard to adjust to. At some point in the game, the coaches will stop trying to score.

I intellectually get it, but I remember the Choke at Doak (and Miami in 2003, and LSU in 2007), being up 31-3, and then finishing with a tie (and then losing in the Sugar Bowl). My brain tells me that the coaches are playing conservatively and not to lose, but my heart tells me that a three or four touchdown lead isn't safe, and we only have a two touchdown lead, and that the same players are doing the same things, but they aren't scoring, and the opposing defensive coordinator has figured out how to shut us down, and it is only a matter of time before their offensive coordinator figures it out, and when they start scoring on us, we aren't going to be able to come back and score on them, and if they get two scores ahead, we might as well give up, because this offense can't seem to score at all ...

Anyway, it goes downhill from there :)

What Muschamp is doing works, but it doesn't feel good (Murphy was doing a great job throwing the ball in the first half, but he looks terrible right now, why can't he find the open receiveres, and when the offense slips up, not only is it hard to win, but it feeds all of those fears we had while it was working, and gives them more strength even while the team is winning.

Now if my brain can just convince the rest of me, but those memories are strong.
  2. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,307
    I have to believe that our play book is deeper than what we saw yesterday and if we'd been playing a team with a potent offense, we'd have made offensive adjustments to Kentucky's defensive adjustments. We aren't likely to see big leads like this against the better SEC teams. We'll still try to control the clock, but offensively, we'll be trying to win. We are going find ourselves behind on the scoreboard. Don't think for a moment Muschamp is going to handcuff Pease when we need to keep scoring to win.
  3. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,703
    There is zero evidence that Muschamp is handcuffing Pease anyway...
  4. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    I think this style is really stressful on the fans, I know for me that every 3rd and 2 makes me sweat, and we have A LOT OF 3rd and 2s....

Whatever the reason is, UF seems to be one of the least explosive offensive teams I can remember, we do not try to hit many big plays, and we do not hit many big plays...

Its one thong if we were getting 8 yards per rush, but we don't, so the grinding style grinds on the fans, even though it has its upsides as well...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I think Muschamp holds things close to the vest and there is more to the playbook than he is showing. Example.... on injuries, he holds back as long as possible before announcing. On practices...... can't get info. He is a cagey one.
  6. magnafides

magnafides Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    I really hate this argument. We're on an Internet message board -- you could use the "you have no proof" argument to counter basically everything that is said EVER, so what's the point? The reason why this board exists is to speculate and discuss; we're not investigative journalists.

Barring a monumentally stupid foot-in-mouth there will NEVER be evidence that a coach has an impact on their coordinators' gameplan.

Common sense would tell us that it's feasible if not likely that Muschamp (a conservative coach by all accounts) has a significant impact on offensive gameplan, especially when our philosophy is to retract into our shell any time we get a lead.
  7. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Good stuff ... a perfectly rational and realistic post that I can agree with ...
  8. magnafides

magnafides Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +114
    We can't even consistently execute the stuff we're supposedly "good at", so forgive me if I don't have the utmost confidence that we'll be able to open up the play book at will and execute plays that haven't seen significant reps in an actual game situation.
  9. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    This Gator team is NOT elite on offense! The defense is the best in the SEC this year and maybe the best in college football. The offense needs to limit mistakes due to limited talent and backups manning multiple positions. Don't beat yourself is a great motto for this Gator team! Go Gators......Beat the Hogs!!!
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,164
    And if they got the "reps" with those plays you so desire, you would complain that the offense is too predictable.
  11. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    maybe pease / muschamp are holding everything back for lsu
  12. FriendlyGator

FriendlyGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,128
    When this offense is rolling I think it is a thing of beauty. How fun was it watching us just completely dominate the late 3rd and 4 quarters last year? Last year's beat down of Florida State late in the game is one of my all time favorites.

This offense may not provide a whole lot of Spurrier-esque fireworks, but it is every bit as enjoyable to me--even more so. It is a great change of pace to watch us be the physically dominant team and just wear the other guys out.

This year I don't think our offense is quite there yet. But we have shown promise. Jones is starting to look healthy. I bet you will see us pound the ball again and again, as we did early last year, and the physical run game will improve as the year goes on. Trust me we are going to need it soon against LSU and Georgia we have to keep their offenses off the field. The coaches will continue to run, run, run to get better so we can do it against the real teams.
  13. Wilbur_36

Wilbur_36 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    We are a physically dominate DEFENSIVE TEAM. There is nothing that says we can not have a physically dominate OFFENSIVE TEAM ALSO. As long as we are physically dominate on both sides of the ball, WE WILL WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS..
  14. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +410
    I think we can all agree that Muschamp is doing what he thinks gives the Gators the best chance to win. We as fans may not agree with his decisions in that regard, and it definitely is not as entertaining as it could be. Many of us would like the Gators to play offense more aggressively even when we have a lead. That's our opinion as fans, and we are entitled to it.

But the big difference is in the consequences. The fans can scream for this or that, but we don't really have any "skin in the game", except emotionally. Contrast that with the coaches, who have a great deal to lose if they are wrong, specifically their jobs. I personally would like to see the Gators continue to attack in the second half, even with a nice lead like in the good old days of the Fun and Gun. But since it's Muschamp's reputation and livelihood that are on the line, I will defer to his judgement.
  15. RealDeal

RealDeal New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    uf is "physically dominant" on defense, but not offense. The Oline is weak.
  16. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +718
    Might want to let Will know about this, he probably didn't realize that.
  17. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    Good perspective ... this is a point all too often missed on these boards ...
  18. metalliccucumber

metalliccucumber Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Short Term Thinking

Muschamp is all about short term...to his detriment. So was Urban. For example, we have stud WR that are freshman and we never ever allow the to make a play. We lobbed one up for Dunbar...why not Demarcus. Are we saying that Dunbar and Patton are so great that we can't invest more in the future ....which is LSU and UGA where someone is going to have to make a play. We know Dunbar and Patton are not those guys, who are going to fight for a catch. Every other team seems to let their freshman talent take some shots. UF rarely does. See Gurley, Amari Cooper, etc
  19. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,091
    Not sure what you're saying about Murphy having trouble finding receivers. He did finish 15 for 18. I think that's 84%.
  20. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I agree also and I still love a 14-10 or 17-14 win just as much as a useless blowout.....you can't take points with you into the next game.........
    What you can take with you though which is equally or even MORE important is getting experience and reps for the younger players !!!! It is the single greatest reason that teams get on a roll for a number of years......freshmen get real reps against new faces and in new places and I don't care what anyone says about practice......this is how younger players get better.
    We've got a chance to build experience against the likes of Toledo, UK, UT, and whatever directional school we play later in the year. Use this as a chance to get the first game jitters out and build confidence so that if they're needed later in the year they won't have to work these things out then. Screw the redshirt !!! Give them reps and by the time they go through another spring and fall camp they will be ready to win championships....If anyone doesn't believe this check out how slow our offensive players have been to develop over the last 3 or 4 years. Not only at the skill positions but along the line also.
    The offensive starters we have now are as good as they will ever be...period. We know what guys like Trey Burton, Quinton Dunbar, Solomon Patton and Mack Brown are capable of. They have been here for 3 or 4 years so have the majority of the guys in the offensive line rotation. Love all of these guys for holding it together through some rough times, but lets put our foot on some weaker teams throats early so the next crop of Gators get an earlier start at getting to an even higher level.
    • Like Like x 2