I.T. director fired from Angela Corey's office

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Speedofsand, Jul 13, 2013.

1. leogator

leogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    No she is not. I know several lawyers in the area that practice in front of her and she gets very high grades. She's tough on both the defense attorneys and the prosecutors. She was very well qualified before she was nominated by the JNC, unlike some others that have been nominated since then whose only qualification was to be peripherally involved in the Schiavo case. Look at her resume before she became a judge.
  2. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Good for her...

She is still a criminal, IMO.
  3. leogator

Ratings Received:
    +161
    I am really surprised that Norman Wolfinger decided not to prosecute. In cases of political or controversial nature, they convene the grand jury so that they can then wash their hands off the affair and point to the grand jury to cover their asses.
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    Problem with a grand jury is that -- if they don't indict -- the SA is now sitting there with people insisting that they went in and deliberately scuttled the case. That would have been the opposite of their political objective here.

I asked earlier, what are the implications to Scott here? Yes, it is true and accurate that Scott assigning Corey to the case doesn't trump Corey's professional and ethical obligations of what to prosecute or not, but it isn't like she could have just driven down from Jacksonville on her own authority. This case was dead in the water before Scott jumped in.
  5. leogator

Ratings Received:
    +161
    You know what they say about a grand jury. They'll indict a ham sandwich!
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,728
    If that is true then it would have seemed a perfect way to pass the buck in this case. No one bears the brunt of bringing charges except the jury.
  7. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,416
    But if it would have gone to GJ and they had not returned an indictment it would have stopped their goal of getting to trial.

I think getting it to trial was more important that anything else in this particular case.

I do not think it was the DOJ pressure that got to Ms Corey because she is a republican, I think it was wanting to please statewide republicans, but that sort of backfired because this was one of those trials where the right wanted NG and the left wanted guilty (as a rule).
  8. KelticGator

KelticGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +211
    So she was elected to her position but Scott appointed her as the special prosecutor . . . so now Governer Scott is to blame for her abuses? Wouldn't the voters be even more (or at least equally) to blame for electing this betch???

Why do we just place blame on the people we don't like - Gatornana = Rick Scott, "the majority" = Obama. I guess if we follow this line of logic all the way to the top all the christians on this board can blame God (or use Satan as a scapegoat even though it was technically God who appointed Adam and Eve).
  9. leogator

Ratings Received:
    +161
    And now she has the Dunn case in her own backyard. It is starting to percolate in the media. It is about to explode.
  10. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,174
    George Washington approved of Benedict Arnold's appointment as a general in the Continental Army. Does that make Washington complcit in treason as well?

Trying to attach blame to Scott for Corey's actions by the simple act of appointing Corey to her position is nothing more than a red herring and a diversion. Typical...
  11. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    I voted for Scott, but I don't hold him blameless. The reason we are on Corey's case is because it was basically a weak, maybe baseless prosecution AND her behavior in pursuing it. Scott is clear of the latter, not the former. Had he not intervened the case was pretty much dead in the water, not to mention subject to the discretion of Corey's local counterpart whose name escapes me.
  12. leogator

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Norman Wolfinger who recently retired! I was there for his retirement ceremony.
  13. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Praying with the Martin family just before indicting GZ was a clear signal that this case was about placating the black community. Without an examination of the facts of the case by a grand jury this looked like reverse racism coming right out of the prosecutors office. It was this kind of biased activity that polarized the case between left and right.