I Say it's Come to Jesus time for Muschamp

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorDad, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +526
    The problem is that we have pro-style WRs, RBs, and OL (who have been practicing pro-style blocking schemes the last 2-3 years), but not a pro-style QB. I'm not sure if there is as easy of a fix as adding a FB or a TE like Meyer did in 2005.
  2. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    The old "sit your butt on bench until you learn to hang on to the ball" philosophy.
  3. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    So your plan is that the following players will not start the next game?

Driskel
    Jones
    T Burton
  4. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +201
    Can I just throw this (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323150333) into the mix a little? Last year when Alabama, a truly exceptional team, lost to A&M at home, they had 309 passing yards from a QB who really isn't known as a passing guru, and three turnovers. They had a sub-par (120 yards) rushing effort for their style of offense. It isn't a perfect match, of course. A&M last year was better than Miami this year, I think. Plus, Alabama did not dominate the time of possession. My point is that this ball-control offensive philosophy is effective and while boring gives you a better chance to win games. It can, however, backfire, when you have to throw the ball (didn't Driskel have a 300-yard game yesterday) and have turnovers. I for one am not panicking. It was a crappy outcome and the Gators completely shot themselves in the foot with poor ball security and with some terrible decisions. But, I am sold on the offensive philosophy because I think it gives the Gators the best opportunity to win. Run, run, run and pass when the defense gives you an opening.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Yup take them out and make them sit for the bye week!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  6. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    God people over think things.
  7. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +148
    Throwing the ball isn't the problem, turning it over is.
  8. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    This.
  9. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    Muschamp wants to run the program a certain way and he is going to stubbornly stick to it (from offensive/defensive philosophies, to how to handle off-the-field transgressions, the media, etc.). Honestly, I think people on his staff probably disagree with some of his decisions and some of the things he does but are afraid to challenge him... that's just my guess. A staff works best when there is open communication and when the boss is willing to listen to their concerns. Does he run the program "my way or the highway"? I really don't know but he strikes me as the type.

I don't see him being very open to overhauling any of his in-game philosophies. He is an excellent DC and believes using a grind it out, ball control offense will be good enough to win a lot of games. He is obstinate and will not stray from that formula. One problem with that game philosophy is it leaves little room for error. If there are break downs in defense, bad officiating, or just plain flukey plays that result in the other team getting a few TDs and the Gators being behind by a few scores, his offensive philosophy breaks down. There need to be contingency scenarios for those cases. I don't believe they exist, at least not viable ones.

The other problem with the offensive philosophy is we don't have the personnel to run it. Our offensive line is not very good... yet. But we have made no changes to work around their limitations. We stubbornly try to run the ball behind a line that doesn't run block very well. Can Pease come up with some creative plays to get the ball to our playmakers while operating behind a patchwork offensive line? Other coaches have been able to do so with some success.

We stubbornly try to keep Driskel in a pocket that collapses very quickly when he has almost no pocket awareness. Even when that pocket holds up, he just doesn't have a whole lot of experience staying in it. When it inevitably collapses, he gets sacked, fumbles the ball, or throws the ball into triple coverage. In high school, he would scramble around as soon as the ball was snapped (there usually was no pocket to speak of). That bought him time to find receivers, and he was pretty decent at throwing on the run. When he couldn't find a receiver, he would take off running. That's almost a carbon copy of how Tebow played at Florida, and Tebow had great success doing it. And Tebow was much slower than Driskel. Spread offense or pro offense... it will work in either, and it plays to Driskel's strengths. At least it should work better than what we're doing now.

But I'm just someone on the internet. I know nothing, or at least that's what some on here would have me believe. "Trust the coaches; they know better than us." Is that really true though? They are so close to the program, so narrowly focused on winning, so entrenched in routine that they may not have the proper perspective to see what's wrong and how to fix it. Just because they are professionals, it doesn't always mean they know what they're doing. Take Turlington Hall on campus, for instance. Professional architects designed Turlington Hall. "It's modern and state of the art!" I happen to think it's the worst building on campus. But I'm just a nobody who has no architectural background. What can I possibly know about architecture? I know that Turlington is a hideous eyesore, an absolutely horrid building. So apparently I have some knowledge about architecture that the professional architects did not. A knowledge of what is ugly.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +897
    Totally agree. Time for Muschamp to make some changes (offensively) or Foley should make some changes at end of season if WM remains stubborn.
  11. Danielmaddie

Danielmaddie New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    While you are correct with those stats you have to remember Miami, Louisville, and Georgia we were playing from behind the whole game and LSU, USCe, and A&M we were either within a field goal or leading.