I logged Jeremy Pruitt @ FSU vs Duke. What might we see from UGA this year? (Long)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ap_gator, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PfnqXv3L7yn1_i-kH0B2dNWnaZc4kdQpLrL84e8xWmA/edit?usp=sharing
    (Sharing to google doc because I did use a table and this forum doesnt give one the option to use tables)

I am new. I am a Gator fan. This is my first post and yes it is long and maybe a little all over the place. I really hope you guys enjoy it, I dedicated a lot more time than I wanted to for this since Im not sure what kind of views it will get.

I am learning how to log games, I am not a scout, though for years I have been a fan of smartfootball.com writer Chris Brown and follow multiple scouts on Twitter and I keep learning new things every day. I have logged all of Hutson Masons throws vs GT and Nebraska (ill post them later). I charted Pruitt/FSU vs Clemson but it got unorganized and I thought charting vs Duke would be more relevant considering the obvious.

It's long, I apologize, but its detailed, well, as detailed as I can be since I am nervous logging as I am new to it and nervous that people wont be able to follow it, so I explained as much as I could. I also give my preview of how I see Pruitt transititioning to UGA and taking over that D. I spent a few hours watching (not logging) UGAs front 7 and I give my opinions on that.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PfnqXv3L7yn1_i-kH0B2dNWnaZc4kdQpLrL84e8xWmA/edit?usp=sharing
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I gave you a thumbs up on time, energy and effort. Just wait until Worm' sees this and has a 65 page response. Enjoyed your work. Not sure how it will play out with different rosters/athletes.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    Good work! Always enjoy the actual X's & O's analyses, even by amateurs :) far more than the typical our coach can beat up your coach, your players get in more trouble than our players drivel more common on the boards. Keep it up!
  4. homer_j

homer_j Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +145
    Dude, that was more impressive than the crap Phil Steele puts out and he's considered good at his job.
  5. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    I can't wait until this guy and worm disagree on something. It'll be a Brain Bowl Battle Royale to the death! ...or until someone concedes to the other lol either way it'll be epic! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +278
    Good read. One thing to consider with Pruitt last season at FSU is that they were typically calling D while protecting very large leads. The interception numbers improved for Pruitt over Stoops b/c FSU's offense was scoring a ton more points early in games as opposed to the year before with EJ under center. This forced opposing teams to take more chances which leads to more picks. This is not to take credit from Pruitt, but this season at UGA he will not be coaching D while protecting leads. He will need to find ways to defend the field while down by 7-10 trying to stay in games. Personally, I think UGA is heading for a distant 3rd/4th place finish in the East. I find it hard to believe that their secondary won't be torched all season long.

We know that Muschamp and Durkin can coach D in tight games, trailing throughout. I am excited to see how many defensive TDs we score this year since opposing teams will have to take more chances against us after our O puts a couple of TDs on the board early in games.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ap_gator

ap_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +495
    This is why I used snap count as a way to log the game. I couldnt really figure out a nice way to implement score into the chart without it looking even more ugly but it at least gives you an idea of how early into games he was calling plays, and if you use the First In Series key it can also give you some hints.

The big thing for me was FSU fans I know were spot on. They said Stoops depended solely on his DL and didnt blitz often, Pruitt showed more looks. This was true, but Pruitt also depended on his DL plenty. UGA fans and writers on the other hand seemed to see Pruitt as a guy who shows 100 looks and is 4 times more aggressive than Grantham, which is false. I could actually see UGA taking a step forward just based off the toned down play calling, Grantham got too aggressive and too cute (his play calling on D was similar to Pittsburgh under Dick LeBeau) and considering the talent level and inexperience he had guys were constantly out of position. I think with Pruitt you will see UGA be in position more often, which alone, with returning a lot of their guys, will make them more dangerous.

Its one of those things that I keep having this argument in my head about, is UGA a national title dark horse to me? No. Could they be? Yes, but I dont have the faith in their secondary or DL to pull it off and Hutson Mason struggled vs Nebraskas man heavy defense so it leads me to believe that UGA wont be able to get through the schedule winning 10 games for it.