I like UF over UK at all five positions again this year

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by InstiGATOR1, Jul 6, 2014.

1. BLING

BLING Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I agree with you at the 1,2,3...Hill and Frazier should be considered the best back-court duo in the SEC heading into the year. Pure PG in Hill, and best shooter in the SEC in Frazier. While the depth is unproven, you can't ask for much more than what we have back there (two legitimate star players as starters, and backups consisting of a mix of talented freshmen,players with some experience... and a proven player coming off injury). The 3 spot is a lot more open, but there are numerous possibilities to make that a solid position. If Carter can get back 100%, we could have a legit 3 guard lineup - or Robinson can be an elite freshmen prospect. Lots of possibilities at the 3.

Our 3's and 4's kind of blend together in that alot of them are "tweeners". Robinson seems to be a 3 all the way. Murphy and DFS are 3/4. Walker is a 4, but unless he gains strength he would be severely out-manned against any of UK's 5's. So I think the 5 position is the only one where we are in trouble. Horford will help, but I think UK is going to be much better than we think there - or at least we aren't giving them enough credit and at the same time giving Horford way to much credit. Remember that by the 3rd time we played them, even Patrick Young was having some problems matching up with UK's bigs. They will continue to get better. I think that will be a tall order for C. Walker and Horford to matchup.

That being said, as sick as UK's recruiting is, I feel the same as you that Billy D has constructed together another team that (on paper at least) matches up favorably to take the SEC. I don't expect them to roll through the league like last year, but certainly this team should still be the favorite regardless of losing that senior class. The only consern is how it all comes together. As we saw last year, you can never underestimate "chemistry". Hopefully next years team has it, I really think it will be UF vs UK again next year.
  2. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    Love the enthusiasm, and with Billy D around the UF team will be fun to watch develop. But, there is no way that next year's team has the chemistry of a senior laden team. And, as Themistocles pointed out, that was a key to last year's team.

There is no way we match UK at Center this year. Our guards have strengths their guards do not have, but theirs have strengths ours do not have. I hope for great match ups with UK next year but I believe that UK will be the measuring stick; not UF.
  3. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    I hate to be Debbie Downer but I think Frazier's game was exposed in the semi's. Just don't let him get off 3's and he can't really beat you off the dribble. I hope he can add to his game but he has a lot of work. I also think the Harrison twin stepped up in the tourney. He will be greatly improved this year and most likely the best player on the court. PF might be a wash but SF and C edge goes to UK for me. 4 out of 5 positions goes to UK and 1 push at PF. Hope I'm wrong.
  4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I think you are wrong. Frazier can do it. He has shown the ability, but he just doesn't seem to do it which can be a concern. I think you will see more fake and step in a shoot as well as taking it to the rack.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
    I think the big concern for us versus Kentucky is that our stifling defense was the difference in all of the games against them last year. They will have just as much talent and I am not sure our defense will be as good. The good news is that we probably don't have to sweep them to win the East and might not need to play them to win the SEC or the National Championship. Regardless of what you think on paper, I expect by the end of the season they will be in the mix just like last year.
  6. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Way to base your assessment of a player who broke a UF and SEC records for 3's on one tournament game where none of our perimeter players were dialed in. I've watched Frazier learning from Teddy all summer and he is way more dynamic than most of you give him credit for. He played the role Billy told him to play last season. He will attack the basket far more often this year, and he will continue to be the best 3 point shooter in the nation.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +826
    It is frustrating to read these boards sometimes.

Kasey Hill is a pro, plain and simple. He is one of the most electric PG's in the college game right now. UK's PG had a good tournament. If you guys think a lifetime of playing SG and a season of playing PG where he had to be told to pass the ball at the end is going to override a lifetime of playing PG being the quickest cat on the block, playing for the best HS coach in America (Kevin Boyle, who also coached Irving and MKG in HS) and the best college coach in America in this system, I just have to say wait until the season starts. (waiting for REM dissent here ;)).

At SG, I don't know how anyone can give the nod to UK just based on the UCONN game. UK lost to the same team. Frazier had a far more dominant season than the other Harrison, and is considered by many to be the #1 returning shooter in college basketball, notwithstanding the stuff I got to see all summer.

If I read one more comment about Walker being underweight I'm going to explode. Dude was 220 lbs towards the end of last season, the same as Noah as a soph, Garnett as a rookie, Davis as a freshman, etc. He is looking very muscular and lean right now, well over 225, and is a mean son of a bitch on the court. He is going to have one of the best seasons we've seen among Gator bigmen since Noah/Horford. He is an absolute freak of nature. He's a teddy bear off the court, but on the court he's got a mean streak and a desire to do harm to the hoop. We'll see a few higlight reel fast break dunks this year where Walker will be at eye level with the rim.

Regarding chemistry, remember the most important cog in the Billy system, the PG (Hill), played HS ball with Frazier and AAU with Walker and Graham. He's got years of chemistry with these guys already, and as evidenced a few times last season when they were on the court together, Hill and Walker have a chemistry that looks like phi slamma jamma. It is going to be sick with a whole season of these guys on the court together.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    I hope you're right about Kasey, but he has a long way to go to be as good as Scottie was last season. I think that Chiozza was a better high school player than Kasey, but Kasey did improve greatly over the course of last season. Frazier could take people off the dribble when he was at Tampa Plant. I don't see why he can't do it now. Chris Walker was not particularly good in his limited minutes last season. That's why he got limited minutes. However, his talent is practically unlimited. It will be interesting to see if he becomes a star this season. Horford needs to play big minutes for us in order for us to match up size wise with Kentucky. I expect him to do it, but Bullis said that he is horrible. Finney-Smith will be a star if he gets a little stronger and if his shooting improves. Robinson, Francis, Carter, Graham, Devon Walker, Murphy and Chiozza are all question marks. If 4 of these guys are solid players this coming season, we will have a lot of depth and should be really good. Nevertheless, the road goes through Kentucky this season. They are about as talented as any college basketball team ever has been, and they have a bunch of experienced players. If we can hold our own against them, we will be a national title contender.
  9. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,936
    Kasey probably won't be as good next season, overall, as Scottie was last season, but he's a far different player and in some ways was already better than Wilbekin last season. Osiris' term "electric" is perfect I think. If we can get a running game going, I think Kasey is going to become a Sportcenter Top 10 Plays regular. He's a great playmaker in the half-court also.

Walker may not have been "particularly good" (I think his main problems that kept him on the bench were fouls and position on the defensive end), but he was mighty impressive in the minutes he got. He looked like an unstoppable force in the paint on the offensive end. Again, I agree with Osiris in that I'm looking for CW "to have one of the best seasons we've seen among Gator bigmen since Noah/Horford." If he can stop getting into foul trouble, I think Walker could be Donovan's most prolific scorer at UF in only his sophomore season.

FWIW, I also thought Noah was very impressive as a freshman, and my posts in that offseason were all about how important I thought he was going to be for us defensively the next season. No, I didn't realize what a great passer that awkward freshman was going to be :cool:

As for chemistry, I think UK may have more to worry about in that department. That's a full roster of high-profile guys who probably all figure they should be getting 20+ minutes. There's still only one ball.
  10. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +650

I've said the same thing about DFS. I think he has a big big year and I'm surprised I don't see more people talking about him outside of UF fans. I do think part of my expectations for him mean him playing more at the 4 than anywhere else though. He could average a double-double.

If I am quick to jump in when I think people are overrating Florida on this board, I might as well do it for UK also. I agree very talented and I think they are the team to beat in the SEC (thought that last year too though). But wouldn't you say its more-so talent in depth and not in any one or two players? I'm not trying to diminish anything other than point out that I don't see "star" like talent that past Cal teams have had. Don't see a Rose, Evans, Wall, Cousins, Davis, Randle - maybe even a Knight. The closest thing I see to these names is Towns. It'll be different. IMO its solid and deep talent, but not the type people often think of when thinking of talented Calipari rosters.
  11. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I like us over UK at the 2 and 4. I think 1 and 3 are a wash. I'd give UK the edge at 5. They have four centers who are future pros (WCS, Towns, Lee, and Johnson).

UK has a lot of depth, but Cal isn't used to having deep rosters -- the majority of his great teams have only gone 7 or 8 deep. It'll be interesting to see if guys like Lee and Johnson find roles or get lost in the shuffle.
  12. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Bingo. None of the returning players were stars outside of WCS on the defensive end. The incoming players are, as usual, unproven and I agree with your synopsis that the closest thing to the Cal type star is towns, who is very young and graduated a year early. This is more like a Billy Donovan Florida team with depth consisting of good players, but not a crop of developed lottery picks. There's a reason people in Lexington were sweating the Harrisons' decisions, knowing this team rises and falls with them, as they are actually very thin on the perimeter without them, now that Lee is gone. You can have a great front court but without great guard play, it's easy to scheme around that in college ball. Like they say, the Tournament is driven by great guard play. If the twins play well and improve upon their performance in the Tournament, UK will do well. If they struggle like they did much of last season, so will UK. There is no Cousins, Davis, Randle on this team that can do it on their own on the offensive end (well we'll see, so far nobody returning has shown that and I don't see it in the recruits unless Towns matures quickly to be a dominant force...the history of early entries does not favor that outcome).
  13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +924
    I'm looking forward to playing UK. Will be great games IMO. We'll need the non-conference games to gain the chemistry and experience to be able to match UK, but I am confident we will. If we had to play UK for the first game of the year, I think we'd get smoked.
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +627
    It's impossible to judge a Cal UK team before the season. The influx of new high-caliber talent makes it so, so I'm reluctant to say we have an edge at any position. Did anyone anticipate just how dominant Anthony Davis would be for them? What if Townes is another Davis?

That said, I REALLY like the Gators' chances against ANY team this season. Chris Walker will turn a lot of heads.
  15. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    If we get the "Sophomore Bump" from Walker and Hill, I will be really, really, really excited! :D
  16. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +826
    If you followed Anthony Davis as a prep you did. Towns is no Davis, their games are very different. He also reclassified to come in a year early so he's very young. Most players that reclassify like that to come in a whole year younger have difficulty adjusting. Scottie did that and was a viable perimeter defender as a freshman, but that was about all he excelled at. Towns will show talent, but I fully expect him to be at UK for a couple of seasons while he matures and develops. Not many rational Cats fans believe he's going to be close to a Davis type player this year.
  17. mac4lyfe

mac4lyfe Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    My opinion of Frazier's inability or reluctance to attack the paint was watching him the entire season, not one game. I'm basing my opinion only on that. I can think of only 4 or 5 times all year that he drove the lane. He seemed a bit slow footed when he did, so I just don't see him as a guy that can blow by you. I hope I'm wrong and I can't wait to see this team. His progression will be key to our success.

18. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +826
    Frazier is never going to seek to score a lot in the paint. And he doesn't need to blow by you to get open off the bounce. That's not his game. He is a shooter. What I mean by attack the basket is getting shots off the bounce, situations where the ball is in his hands, end of the shot clock type of things. His incredible shooting accuracy means his shot fake is very effective to get defenders off balance, which gives him an opportunity to drive past them for open midrange shots or passes if post defenders play up for help D. There's more than one way for a dynamic shooter to get shooting opportunities off the bounce other than crossing them over like MJ and playing above the rim. Frazier's a big strong kid that can play through some contact and get the shots he wants.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. MJGator8104

MJGator8104 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +129
    This is the most important and overlooked part of your message. Chemistry in a freshmen laden team of high profile players in nowhere near a given as we've seen in the past...
  20. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387

That is a joking name made up for Polythreesseeessseeesssseeeesssseeeesssseeee, to simply writing just like Cat fans use WCS for Cauley-Stein and Gator fans use DFS for Finney-Smith. This one however, is Gator Comedy, and, apparently, he is a very good student, but I don't know if he is majoring in Political Science.