I like Matt Jones, but it's my belief that he should not play until the 2nd half

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by swg8trgr8, Oct 6, 2013.

1. swg8trgr8

swg8trgr8 Member

Bring him in to pound on the tired defenses in the 2nd half every week (see f$u game last year).

He is not much of a threat to break a big one against fresh SEC defenses imo. Let's give all the 1st half carries to Valdez, Kelvin, Mack, & Mark.

Matt can be our Mariano. Bring him in to close things out & seal the deal.
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Uh, no. (;
  3. vader6063

vader6063 Active Member

Jones doesn't pound on anybody. Don't want to knock the guy, but he is a really weak runner, that runs too high and is extremely too easy to bring down. There was a play tonight where he stutter stepped in a huge hole and almost looked like he just wanted to fall down without even being touched. He has very little vision and is a far inferior choice compared to brown, taylor or even Herndon when it comes to getting carries.
  4. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

People need to start realizing he does what Muschamp wants him to do and that's why he's the starter and gets the most carries. What is it that he does he blocks well and picks up an average 2-4 yards every carry no more than that. Muschamp wants 12-14 play drives that take 6-8 minutes off the clock. Your not going to get 14 play drives if your picking up 10-15 yard plays every other play.
    KronoGator likes this.
  5. Swamper

Swamper New Member

he looks like he hasn't recovered from that virus yet---hopefully muschamp gets taylor some carries. jones doesn't have a lot of moves.
  6. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Yeah muschamp would much prefer getting 2-3 yard gains as opposed to running it for 10-15 yard gains. I guess that hurt our TOP haha. I mean running the ball too easy would hurt us.

Shocking post..
  7. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Matt doesn't seem to have the vision at this point to be the playmaker we want him to be. I can't quite put my finger on it, his running style is a little odd to me; he's a big back but he isn't a physical runner. Matt has looked better and better each week though, so I'm optimistic he'll evolve into a bigger factor by season's end.
  8. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Member

13 new treads crying for Taylor in 3...2...1...
  9. gatorkev_85

gatorkev_85 Member

What's even more shocking is the fact that you took me serious. We all know coach wants to win the top each game. I was being somewhat sarcastic but I also somewhat think he don't hope for big plays. I mean I've seen a major difference in our passing game this year yet we still don't try and run it to its potential. Does he really hope Jones only picks up 2-3 yards a carry no, but he sure as heck hasn't taken away any of his carries and that's what he's been picking up all year.
  10. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

WM is no judge of offensive talent. He's a DC, nothing more. I expect Pease, who helped turn Boise State into an offensive wonder, to leave in frustration at the end of the year.
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Pease did no such thing.
  12. ElimiGator

ElimiGator Member

I remember Fred T talking about his running backs coach teaching him to quit dancing and start running. His Jr year leading into his Sr year. He spoke about how he would give 4 or 5 jukes then run. Remember the '97 FSU game? One juke then gone. Matt loves to dance before making his move when faced with a defender straight on. That's a half second worth of nothing. My coaching couch moves faster than that!
  13. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The time it takes actually getting up and running to hit (where the hole was), takes forever. It seems.
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Nobody ran very well against Arky yesterday, except for Patton, who got to run a jet sweep or two. And nobody looks good running when their offensive line is getting beat on running plays. That said, Brown looked a little better and is a better back to have in the game in a situation like that. But the coach doesn't know his line is going to get mishandled until it happens.

Back to Jones, he has long legs, not much of a first or second step and he does run too high. He's often indecisive running inside unless there's a huge hole. I know that makes him sound like a poor running back, but I remember what he did last week. He's obviously a very good running back when our run blocking is effective and when he gets over 20 carries, he's likely to bust one or two big plays.

I'm in the camp that would like to see a little more Taylor. I agree that it's best to have running backs who are able to protect the QB on passing plays, but even on a day when our running game isn't working, we ran the ball 70% of the time. (That's another thread topic) Not saying Taylor should be auditioning for the starting job. I just want him to get some experience against SEC competition and to see what he can do that the other two guys can't. I'm not counting Showers. He is obviously not a true running back. He had one carry for -1 yards and one beautiful reception and TD on the shovel pass. Not sure why they waited so late to put him in the game.
  15. njgator

njgator VIP Member

I see a noticeable difference between Jones and Brown regarding yards after contact. Brown consistently gains 2 to 3 more yards after contact than Jones. I'm not in practice everyday so I don't know why CWM keeps starting Jones but the difference is obvious.
    regurgigator likes this.
  16. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Because of oline problems there ate few holes& if there are the RBs have trouble finding them
  17. Brewski

Brewski Well-Known Member

The kid put up 176 yards the week before and now he should be benched until the second half? Holy cow.
  18. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

I don't know about far inferior. Have you seen Mack Browns numbers?
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Where is someone who runs with the attitude of Errict Rhett ?

Where ?

Do they not make those kind anymore ?
  20. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

The OP seems like backwards logic to me. I always heard you used the big backs early to wear out the defense then bring in the shifty guys to run around em once they were too tired to chase. Or maybe its the other way around, the shifty guys first to tire em out and then the big backs to run em over. I forget now that I have read so many of these RB threads.

Just wish we had at least one guy that could do it all. Maybe even a back that could catch a pass or at least get one thrown to him. Maybe that pass catcher will be Showers now that he is healthy again.

Still dont get why the backup RBs dont get in with a 2-3 td lead late in games like Ky/Arky, but that is the way it is. Guess there is no trust. Dont think it will be happening this week, but you never know.