I know this is a stupid question but I am throwing it out there anyway

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Oct 19, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    In football, a freshman in high school for the most part is nothing compared to a senior in football in general when it comes to strength and knowledge about the game. Do you guys think the same can be said for baseball? Will has started working out with the High School and he's a freshman and he's in awe with some of the guys as far as hitting goes and playing first, they are hitting home runs and he gets excited just to hit the gaps and if the ball gets to the wall. Granted he's a pitcher and they haven't done any bullpen yet in which in hitting he held his own and the older guys told him that they hit like he does when they were freshmen. The fielding there are 8 first basemen and he said that 4 of them were "bosses." Anyway, as I said I know this is a stupid question but I played football and he plays baseball. I know he will more than hang in there if and when they work on pitching.

So any comments would be great.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    100% yes. You're talking about 14-15 year olds v. 17-18 year olds. There is a much more significant difference in high school freshman/seniors than college freshman/ seniors. I have seen younger players look as good defensively as some older players but even then there are obvious arm strength differences. In my opinion, you are much better off evaluating him against the other freshmen and sophomores to get a fair and accurate read on where he is.
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if baseball if there would be that much of a difference but I was just remembering when we would "play up" in travel ball just a one year difference was crazy.